tele or strat???I'm confused

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: tele or strat???I'm confused

Postby texas blues » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:27 pm

I like these....

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Where do I buy these Mexican Lottery strings? That's awesome.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby multisounds » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:28 am

Good choice!

Hi Boogie,

Cheers thx! I'm lovin' it

Multi :D
multisounds
Regular

Re: it's done!!!!

Postby multisounds » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 am

jaybee wrote:
multisounds wrote:
I can only play blues

Hi JB, you look pretty hard-core blues man with that outfit of yours!! :lol: But hey, they say blues is where it all started so basically alot of music is based in blues.

Btw, what's Belgium blues music scene like?? Is it lively everynight with lots of different bands playing and you play gigs yourself either as solo or ensemble?? And also, how does one load a photo with reply or new topic?? (if anyone also know how?). I'm not that good with technology-just want to show off my tele :D :shock: :lol: :wink:

cheers
Multi

Belgian Blues Scene has been better, although there are still quite some blues clubs that have regular gigs - regular as in "every week", some a couple of nights a week, some every other week...

Hi Jb,

Ok I get the picture. I too don't get up like spring chicken anymore. But hey, if you get too bored just advertise on net or in papers for musicians and I bet they'll come out of the woodworks. I met the members of my band through the net-so get in a band and play those creatice blues!! :D

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:37 am

Fender P Bass, of course.
Actually I play a Jazz Bass.
But in the beginning there was only P Bass.
And still there is P Bass

Hi Bob,

I'm not gonna get into bass discussion now-ROFL :D :o

However, I may need to ask you a simple question that may influence my bass choice in 6 months time and that is: Do you think fender jazz bass can handle rock and all types of music??? ROFL :D :) :P :shock: :mrgreen: :blink:. Or do you think precision can do the same??? That's it-no more :D :o :)

cheers Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 am

Good choice, multi! Teles are great guitars

Hi rico,

Thx, lately I've been cranking it up to relive my teen days and it's very "beefy" indeed when you want it to be. :D

cheers Multi
multisounds
Regular

Re: it's done!!!!

Postby jaybee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 am

multisounds wrote:Hi Jb,

Ok I get the picture. I too don't get up like spring chicken anymore. But hey, if you get too bored just advertise on net or in papers for musicians and I bet they'll come out of the woodworks. I met the members of my band through the net-so get in a band and play those creatice blues!! :D

cheers
Multi

that's exactly what i've been doing, but until now no succes... I keep trying though...
jaybee
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:38 am

YES and YES !!!!!!!

BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 am

ricochet wrote:Don't let anybody find out that the best strings are the ones on sale the cheapest!

IMO, this is extremely far from the truth.

TB, I want to try those strings. Where do I get them?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

I freely admit to knowing only that a bass has less strings and is bigger than a guitar, but our local tame bass player (Moss) has recently bought a reissue Jaguar bass, and is happy with it to the point where he's going to sell his Fender Fender Precision.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wirewalker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Couple of points for urgent consideration.

If you demand total flexibility then the 335 is a nono unless is has cil-tap, but even then it has no tremelo! without ciltap you will never get acceptable clean tones.

Solution test-drive a Don Grosh Bent-Top strat which comes fitted with a Lindy Fralin humbucker @ the bridge + LFs in mid and neck. If yoy have never used a guitar Lindy Fralins pickups this is a must-do experience as his p/ups are so clean and open they are magical. This guitar also has the ability to split the bridge humbucker as well as a blend control.

If you dont want a trem then try the Don Grosh Hollow Telecaster which comes with twin LFs, a 3 way toggle-Switch and the ability to pull the tone-pot and switch the humbuckers: this is a dream of a guitar, as is the bent-top and I would never part with either.

If you would like the ultimate take on a Les Paul the play a Don Grosh Set-Neck: twin HBs from Lindsey Fralin, very open clean musical sounds but not coil-tap.

You can try a PRS Custom 22 with the rotary pick-up selector which gives 2 single coil sounds. Pretty guitars but not comparable to Don Grosh.

Tom Anderson's Cobra offers a shorter skale length similar to a Les Paul, but in either a tele-style or a Strat-Style. The p/ups are there own and a hot but not clean.

All the above are potentially expensive option to Fender's offerings, so below are a couple of supprisingly beautiful alternatives:

G&L make beautiful guitars in the old Fender factory, using the original machines and had-made processes. They are easily up to Fender custom-shop quality, whether Tele style or Strat. They have a number of Strat alternatives as well and my personal opinion for the most versatile model is the s500 which not only has a passive blend control, a far better trem than that fitted by Fender, but also a mini-toggle switch which provides an additional 2 tones when switched forwards towards the neck: 1) All 3 pick-ups 2) just the neck & bridge, which gives the twang of a Tele with the switch in the middle.

If you want the alternaive tone-machine and can find a G&L Commanche VI (Strat style), This has 2 sets of mini-toggles which allow you to even mix each half of each pic-up with each half of the others: the greatest flexibility of any single-coil guitar.

Returning to a Les Paul alternative is the Ibanez AS Artist Solid Body from the 1970s. If you can find the moddle with 2 mini-toggles this again allows increadible versatility as one can switch between H/Buckers & Single Coils as well as wich of the coils in the humbuckers one uses in single coil model.

The observations are based on long-term listening tests as I own quite a collection og guitars, including the above.

I would never part with my Don Grosh hollow tele or my G&L S500, whereas the I would part with my PRS guitars which I think are just pretty guitars and at the time a marketting-con. I do own American standards (Strat & Telly) and an expensive limited edition (only 17 built) Swiss Custom-Shop Strat which is a lovely guitar.

Of all the ovely guitars I own, the last electric guitar I would part with is my G&L S500 Blonde Strat with Gun-0il tinted maple neck. These guitars are a well kept secret and give you the opportunity to own a guitar with a build quality of any Fender Custom Shop.

By the way, my response is not intended as an opportunity to 'show-off' in front of my peers, I just want to share ideas that will hopefully guide you to towards a fabulous guitar at an incredible build quality & set-up at an unbelievable price.

Best of luck & let me know how it all pans-out.
wirewalker
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm

I call BS on "no acceptable clean tones without a coil tap" for the 335. That's just silly.
ricochet
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I bought a PRS Signature Bass in 1990. Quilt top, Bird Inlays, Headstock Signature (Not a decal).
Beautiful Bass. $3000.00 Played it for about 6 years. Got to where I loved to look at it's beauty.
Hated the sound. Just not for me. Sold it and bought one of the first Fender Custom Shop Relic Basses in 1996. I have been happy ever since with the sound. I did go through a 2 year change in 1999 & 2000. I found a 1978 Musicman Stingray. A real rag of a bass, but the sound was like no other. Financial bad times hit in 2005 & I could only keep 1 bass. Fender Jazz Relic won the battle. If I bought a new bass today it would be either a P Bass or another Stingray. If your friend can afford to keep the P Bass just put it in the closet & someday it will probably come out once again. :D
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm

ricochet wrote:I call BS on "no acceptable clean tones without a coil tap" for the 335. That's just silly.

I call Double BS on the "no acceptable tones without a coil tap" for the 335.
Not only is that silly, it's an absolute lie.
grady
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm

wirewalker wrote:Couple of points for urgent consideration.

If you demand total flexibility then the 335 is a nono unless is has cil-tap, but even then it has no tremelo! without ciltap you will never get acceptable clean tones.

?????
FAIL!!!!!
To paraphrase Frank Zappa - "Where've you been living - Reseda?"
Somebody just plain did not do their homework.
There are HOARDS of jazzers who would beg to differ, and a number of blues guys as well (bb king where are ya?)
You missed that entire Larry Carlton thing, didn't ya?
A late 50s 335 dot and an old black-panel Super Reverb or Twin Reverb = KING OF KLEEN.
It's a benchmark for clean, an industry icon...

Okay, being politically correct here - opinions do vary WIDELY.....

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar