tele or strat???I'm confused

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: tele or strat???I'm confused

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm

[quote]think about the guitar and the amp you'll be using as a matched pair.[quote]

Hi Max,

I don't have any humungous gear max. All I have is a 100 watt "normal" amp (not valve-I know that much)-brand name "hi-watt". I'm in an original band and we play a gig every 3-4 weeks in around the local scene so we don't get as much work as cover bands. Our style is abit of everything as I said and "hard-driving rock" is as heaviest a song we have (for example ZZ-top "la grange" sound) and not heavy metal if know what I mean.

Cheers
mulit
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 pm

They're both nice allrounders

Hi dude,

Love your tele colour!!!!!! :D Give it to me-lol

cheers multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:27 pm

I would go with a Tele deluxe or Custom or even a tele Thinline.

Hi Delta,

Point taken, you've made my choice easier! :o

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 pm

titaniumslide wrote:I agree with Maxx about matching the guitar and amp. There are always exceptions but, a quality tube amp will make your guitars sound better. As far as a guitar goes I would choose a Telecaster for it's versitility, however it is you that will make all of the sounds of those individual styles. I guess what I mean to say is that it will be your touch that will make the guitar sound how you want. I hope this makes sense to you.
Scott

Hi Titanium,

All that makes perfect sense and I love the shape of a tele!! I guess we all have unique individual touches when playing guitar or any other instruments for that matter. So anyway, from readings of others here's my choices.

1/ Tele (deluxe or Custom)
2/Strat (USA standard bridge pick up modified to humbuckers).
3/ Gibson (ES 335) or a clone as suggested by rico.

cheers
multi :D
multisounds
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:42 am

HAH! You're all wrong. Les Paul with P90's crushes strats, eats teles, and rocks harder than a 335. I have owned or do own all but a 335. Played lots of them though. Played all through Fender Champs, Deluxes, Tweeds, Bandmaster, Peavey's, Musicmans, Marshall and without a doubt if I could have only 1 guitar...Les Paul P90's!

But I would also sneak in the V.....

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Gtrist » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 am

I've never found Teles comfortable to hold or play--and that's important in a guitar--If I found a guitar that had the best sound ever and it was affordable, and in great shape, and had all sorts of other positives, but it wasn't comfortable to play--I wouldn't get it.

But others find them quite comfortable, and have done amazing stuff with them.

Personally--given those choices I'd go with the Strat.

But since we don't all have the same bodies & parts--the Tele may work better for someone else.

And there's the question of what sounds you like.
Gtrist
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:09 am

Tele - Strat - 335

why chose? get all three and throw in a LP, a 175 and something with a Bigsby while you're at it, that way you're sure to please just about anyone HERE (watch for more suggestions :roll: ) - then you can play them and decide which one you REALLY like, and buy more of that.

!! keep the others, or you'll be sorry some day - believe me 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 am

Get a Tele. They're badass.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:03 pm

It took me a while to get comfortable with my tele. The body has sharp corners vs the contoured body of a strat so that can be uncomfortable at first. You just get used to it, now I don't even notice.

I dunno, strats don't do it for me, I'd take a tele any day. But you should be able to figure out what you want just sitting in a guitar shop and playing everything. I haven't been impressed by either the Gibson or Epiphone 335's. Just don't sound or feel great to me.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm

I can't imagine how you ended up narrowing it down to a Tele or a Strat for a "do it all" guitar, as both of these — in my opinion — have a totally unique sound that is far from a "do it all" guitar sound.

I would second the recommendation of a LP with P90s, or for that matter, anything with P90s. The sounds you can get with these pickups covers far more ground than either a Tele or a Strat.

This may be a really dumb question, but -- have you played a Tele or a Strat? My personal experience with a Tele was that it just didn't feel right. As much as I wanted to like it, the body never felt comfortable when I held it, the scale length felt too long, it was really heavy, and the tone was too shrill. I recently sold a really nice Fernandes Strat. Again, scale length and the stiff feel of the strings didn't feel right to me. I've also found that I don't care for fretboards with a lot of radius. Fenders, at least the ones I've played, seem to have way too much curvature of the fretboard. Also, I thought the neck width of the Fenders was too narrow.

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion for a guitar you might want to look into. I've never played one of these myself, but I've seen online demos of them and think they sound great. Many great reviews by owners also. I think this guitar will cover far more sonic ground than a Tele or a Strat, although it will never do exactly what those guitars do. Okay, get your pen and paper, here it is: the Eastwood Tuxedo. Semi-hollow body, two P90 style pickups, 1 11/16" nut width. Check out the online demos.

And sorry for confusing you further.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm

OK, let's narrow it down. You need a solid hollow body with 2 pickups and 3 pickups at the same time, and they need to be both humbuckers and single coils. The neck needs to be a long short one, or a short long one, ideally of a vague thickness and with 2 sorts of radius.

I hope I have clarified things for you.

Really, trying everything you run across is the only way to find out what suits you best. Enjoy the journey.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 pm

So now that you are more confused.....

IMHO a Strat is the most versatile-you can get a fat strat with a bucker in the bridge if needed and it has the out of phase positions.

A 335 is nice but big, expensive and fragile

A Vee is just silly unless you are Lonnie Mack or Albert King ( plus it sux to sit and play)

I love p90's but they are not near as veratile as Fender single coils

Fender has a huge choice of neck radii available and don't discount a Peavey T60 if you have a strong back-- American made near vintage goodness in the $400 range
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 pm

check out the Hagstrom line, they have excellent alternatives for Strats, Tele, LP, 335... at a fraction of the price of the "F" & "G" brands

http://www.hagstromguitars.be/

dilemma dilemma dilemma :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:42 pm

goldbrick wrote:So now that you are more confused.....

IMHO a Strat is the most versatile-you can get a fat strat with a bucker in the bridge if needed and it has the out of phase positions.

A 335 is nice but big, expensive and fragile

A Vee is just silly unless you are Lonnie Mack or Albert King ( plus it sux to sit and play)

I love p90's but they are not near as veratile as Fender single coils

Fender has a huge choice of neck radii available and don't discount a Peavey T60 if you have a strong back-- American made near vintage goodness in the $400 range

A Vee silly? Get the Spanish Inquisition to punish the heretic! Those that have a V find no problem sitting and playing it. Right between the legs. Fender single coils are just plain wimpy. I own 2 Strats and a Tele and none comes close to the versatility or tonal range of my LP with P90's. My Fenders invariably need a little help ala a dirt box to get a little grind going. Not so with the LP or the V. Straight up, no chaser.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 am

texas blues wrote: Fender single coils are just plain wimpy. I own 2 Strats and a Tele and none comes close to the versatility or tonal range of my LP with P90's. My Fenders invariably need a little help ala a dirt box to get a little grind going. Not so with the LP or the V. Straight up, no chaser.

Cheers, TB.

That's because you're not using the right pickups in your Fender guitars.
My Strat and Tele have more than enough punch and can push an amp into breakup just fine.
grady
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar