I'm getting impressed by chinese guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I'm getting impressed by chinese guitars

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey, I wouldn't mind if they'd dump 'em here.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I completely avoid any food products from China and Mexico, especially any produce from Mexico. They just have no concept of hygiene. Really, who wants produce that's been pissed/crapped on? I know they're hard workers and all, but the fact is that Mexico is a Turd World country.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Judging by what the world saw after Hurrican Katrina, so are parts of the US.
Personally I don't eat anything from the Northern Hemisphere with all the sprays, hormones and other pollutants you guys take for granted.
The last thing I need is to develop breasts.
Would make it hard to play my reso!!:roll:
Sheb Whitebred wrote:I completely avoid any food products from China and Mexico, especially any produce from Mexico. They just have no concept of hygiene. Really, who wants produce that's been pissed/crapped on? I know they're hard workers and all, but the fact is that Mexico is a Turd World country.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 am

kiwiblues wrote:...The last thing I need is to develop breasts.

Glad you can't see me trying to play a round back Ovation, or even trying to keep it on my lap, because of my belly! :wink:
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 am

Bellies are OK.
The Chinese always equated them with prosperity and happiness.
I've got one of those porceline Chinese laughing Buddhas at home that cheers me up every time I look at him!
Besides there wouldn't be many reso players over 45 that don't have bellies. :oops: :roll: :lol:
BluezOldy wrote:

Glad you can't see me trying to play a round back Ovation, or even trying to keep it on my lap, because of my belly! :wink:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:23 am

kiwiblues wrote:
Besides there wouldn't be many reso players over 45 that don't have bellies. :oops: :roll: :lol:

OK, now I know why i can't seem to get the hang of playing a reso... way over 45 and no belly :P 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm

BluezOldy wrote:

Hey ! I resemble that bloody remark :lol:
I'ts easy you just put the strap on, on the other hand, the newer contour bowl design is more "belly" friendly. Now it does pose a major problem if you have large breasts. :lol:

I could make a small fortune shipping Ovations to Oz if it didn't cost so much to ship them. We have lots of Aussie's on our Ovation Fan Club Site. Guys are real devoted, many come here for get togethers.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:I completely avoid any food products from China and Mexico, especially any produce from Mexico. They just have no concept of hygiene. Really, who wants produce that's been pissed/crapped on? I know they're hard workers and all, but the fact is that Mexico is a Turd World country.

There's been a lot of recalls in the last year or so of that here in the US. Spinach, Broccolli, Tomatoes. Salmonella and stuff if I remember right.
Yeah, veggies & fruits from mostly countries to the south in all stores this time of year.

Seems like I looked at some of the canned stuff to from all over. Its thime here to start thinking about doing that spring planting, putting in the garden & stuff. We raise a few chickens for the freezer. My wife has a flock for eggs, might have to do more canning this year.
Heck, with all the people out of work I think more people will be growing there own.
I bet the # 1 cash crop changes this year as the state instituted another tax yesterday on smokers :wink:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Don't forget the biggest U.S. food recall, peanut butter. Bunch of deaths associated with that one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:47 pm

ricochet wrote:Don't forget the biggest U.S. food recall, peanut butter. Bunch of deaths associated with that one.

Yes, had corporate greed written all over that company. To bad it was in america. Ya think the FDA needs an overhaul too ? :oops:
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Yes, but go to today's New York Times website and read the op-ed piece titled "Tag, We're It" for a view on the downside for small farmers of the proposed tagging and tracking of animals intended to protect against diseases like mad cow. Rewards the greedy big corporations and forces the small farmers (who're less likely to be a problem) out of business.

I recall some years ago the drug companies pushing the FDA to require existing medicines to be tested to the same standards as new medications to be recognized as "safe and effective." Cheap old meds that everyone had long known worked weren't tested, because nobody could make billions off of them. So they got tagged "Not proven effective," nobody would pay for them, and they disappeared, sometimes with no effective substitute, more often leaving us with the patented brand-only God-awful expensive new drugs as our only options. Promoted as a means of ensuring patients' welfare, it was really a welfare act for the drug companies IMO.

It's very difficult to improve things by government regulation. The most well-intended regulations nearly always have unforeseen bad consequences. OTOH, we've all seen that unbridled greed in a completely "free market" always eventually leads to somebody getting screwed, commonly all the rest of us.
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I heard about that yesterday, I was in fact at Michigan State University taking a class on becoming a "certified" Pullorum Typhoid tester for birds. (in my case the quail I raise)
I can certify my own flock as well as do testing for others, for kids at the fairs that want to show chickens & turkeys.
A couple a years ago they wanted that "National registry" for all farm animals and they abandon it as there was so much protest after the bird flu scare. Looks like they never tire of reviving things.
They are trying to ban things in all kinds of states on dog ownership also. Good god, legislate to protect us from ourselves.
Excuse me, I'll have to do some more reading on this and email some reps and senators........

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:54 pm

The discussion has shifted far from Chinese guitars. Someone mentioned home gardening. This IS going to be huge. I don't know if anyone else ever listens to the "Coast to Coast" radio show (late night, AM radio), but there's a commercial that's started airing recently about non-hybrid seeds. They're touting these as a must-have, and the implicit tone in the commercial is that we have to prepare for some sort of major problem by cultivating our own food.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Garden centres in this country have never been so busy. Kiwis are planting veges like they did back in the fifties.
I think it's bloody great!
Anything that swings us away from crap like McDonalds has got to be a good thing!
When I was in practice I used to go to all the drug company bun fights and take their free gifts then go back and continue using the cheaper, older drugs that I could rely on in most cases.
Occasionally there would be a real breakthrough but most of their marketing is bullshit aimed at maintaining market share.
In this country they are allowed to bypass professionals and market drugs straight to the unsuspecting public on TV.
Some of the most hyped up drugs have later been pulled due to 'undesirable' deaths.
The likes of Mercks and Pfizers spray marketing money around anyway they can, they have been making so much.
Last edited by kiwiblues on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm

kiwiblues wrote:...In this country they are allowed to bypass professionals and market drugs straight to the unsuspecting public on TV.

That's still banned in Australia I'm glad to say.
BluezOldy
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar