I'm getting impressed by chinese guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I'm getting impressed by chinese guitars

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:37 pm

birddog wrote:
NEONMOONY wrote:Here in the bodyshop I shake my head every time we put on some of these plastic side mouldings on that have a list price of 3-400 dollars that are probably $1-$2 worth of raw materials. :shock:

I had to put a new ignition sensor (the one that senses what gear the car is in) in my car after my little accident a couple weeks back. It was $876 just for the parts and labor. I know that it took a couple hours to replace and there's no way that part cost upwards of $700. It was ridiculous.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:As we saw during the Olympics, in some countries they are able to pollute heavily without any immediate financial cost. Also, the only regulation or "cost" against poisonous or contaminating ingredients in the products is the negative reaction of the buyers when it makes the news as we had in the food and toy problems.

Ah Ha, more government regulation, probably better keepmy guitar away from children as the finish probably has too much lead in it !
birddog
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:34 am

Was it American made? :lol:
leftyguitarman wrote:
birddog wrote:
NEONMOONY wrote:Here in the bodyshop I shake my head every time we put on some of these plastic side mouldings on that have a list price of 3-400 dollars that are probably $1-$2 worth of raw materials. :shock:

I had to put a new ignition sensor (the one that senses what gear the car is in) in my car after my little accident a couple weeks back. It was $876 just for the parts and labor. I know that it took a couple hours to replace and there's no way that part cost upwards of $700. It was ridiculous.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 am

Got me an Epiphone masterbuilt accoustic made in Korea a couple of years ago.
Tried it next to the equivalent Martin in the music shop and it was every bit as good only cheaper and more bling (abolone inlays around the sound hole and the body bindings).
A very beautiful guitar in many ways.
If you don't think Asia has master craftsmen look at some of their high end furniture and ceramics.
They've been doing it a lot longer than Americans.

NEONMOONY wrote:As we saw during the Olympics, in some countries they are able to pollute heavily without any immediate financial cost. Also, the only regulation or "cost" against poisonous or contaminating ingredients in the products is the negative reaction of the buyers when it makes the news as we had in the food and toy problems.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:00 am

Call me old fashioned but I cant see buying a high end Chinese guitar

I guess I change guitars too frequently to take the hit on resale. You generally will not lose much on a good Martin , Fender or Gibson

Its kinda like we used to say in the car business--a Cadillac is always a Cadillac but a used Lincoln is just a Ford
goldbrick
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 am

Well, the quality may be great but the thing is, the Chinese fella, he doesn't own a house or pay the taxes around here. So he doesn't help pay the bills on the schools, roads, politician's salaries and so on. When the county, state or whatever needs more money, well they'll come to me! When some of the heavy industry around here started slowing down, they talked about balking on paying their property taxes. The County and state are not going to trim their diet that willingly. There they are, looking at me. I mean I understand, they've got bills to pay too. You know, limo's, planes, hookers and all.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 am

I own Chinese products too, btw, it's become nearly impossible not to. There are some products where you can be selective, but that's getting tougher.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:50 pm

I know Guild has a line of Chinese made acoustics and for the money, they are the best acoustics on the market IMO.

The GAD series. Yes, those are really nice guitars. I almost bought one.

Honestly, the only way I could afford an American guitar is used. My G&L is the only American made guitar I own. The Cort is Korean, the Beard is "assembled" in America with a Korean body, my Tele is an MIJ, my RG is Korean, my Alvarez is probably Korean, and my new Dillion LP copy is Canadian.

I have owned 2 Gibsons in my life and one Fender American Standard. Those were all purchased used as well. I pretty much buy everything off friends or at my local store.

Some day I am going to buy a nice American made instrument...as it stands right now it is probably going to be a Taylor of some kind.
bignick
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

I always buy used--many guitars have seen little hard use and it gives the wood time to age-- I recently got a 64 Gretsch and after a bit of loving care from a luthier friend it plays great and was still less money than the current import Gretsch line
goldbrick
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I'd buy a foreign guitar if it's a good price and quality, but it sure makes me smile to see the Made in USA stamp on the back of my SG.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Was it American made? :lol:

Yeah.

kiwiblues wrote:Got me an Epiphone masterbuilt accoustic made in Korea a couple of years ago.
Tried it next to the equivalent Martin in the music shop and it was every bit as good only cheaper and more bling (abolone inlays around the sound hole and the body bindings).
A very beautiful guitar in many ways.

Those Masterbuilts are pretty nice. There's a couple I would like to have, but of course, no lefties.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Someone is selling a Johnson J0-16 on Craig's List in a town near me and I'm tempted to check it out. I used to have a big bugaboo about buying Chinese-made guitars, but have come around a bit on this after buying 3 Republics. That said, I generally try to avoid products that are made in China.

Regardless of your politics, the Chinese have long been known for exceptional craftsmanship and artistry. While the mass produced guitars made there now may not rise to those lofty standards, many of them are quite good and it is only a matter of time until they are on par with the best guitars produced anywhere. Right now, there's probably a Chinese guy working in a guitar factory, learning his chops (no pun intended), and dreaming of building custom guitars.

China is an explosion of capitalism, and I'm a big believer in Reagan's philosophy of exporting capitalism to communist countries. The more capitalism, the less communism. Unfortunately, China seems to have overlooked some human rights and environmental issues in the process.

If you come across the show "Made in China: The People's Republic of Profit" on TV, check it out. There's a short segment in there about Lee Guitars. The guy who runs it, Jonathan Lee, is a folksinger of sorts who started making his own line of high end acoustics. I looked up the web site and didn't see anything from Lee Guitars that appealed to me, but it's interesting to see that someone is actually making high end acoustic guitars there already. There's one guitar on his site that just doesn't make any sense at all -- a 100th anniversary of Converse commemorative model. Judging by the logo on the guitar, there's no doubt that it's the sneaker maker Converse that's being honored. What the hell do Converse shoes have to do with guitars or music?

And, no, the guitar isn't shaped like the classic high-top basketball shoe. But it does have what appears to be "stitching" burned into the wood.

Bizarre. Really bizarre.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:06 pm

It's just not cars and guitars, at least here in Australia. The number of food products - 'fresh', canned and frozen - coming in from China is huge and expanding.

Although it's not just China. SPC is an old Aussie company which was sold recently and I guess to a US company because I bought a couple of cans of SPC chopped tomatoes the other day (the cheapest on the shelf) and guess what - Product of USA. How can it be cheaper to can tomatoes in the US and ship them all the way here?

I've seen Californian oranges selling cheaper than the local stuff.

Perhaps it's dumping - who knows.

The world is getting screwier by the minute.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Mexicans in the U.S. underselling the Australians.
ricochet
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Ric,

Now if only Gibson would decide to 'dump' their products here! :D
BluezOldy
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar