New National!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: New National!

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

Hey Lenny, good to see you here man. I put that vid of you up on GS as well. There's lots of National folks over here and lots of Republic fans as well. I still got a delphi I love, but I love the resolian parlors that Frank is building. Some have had some minor issues but not a bad guitar for the money. I'm waiting for National to build a parlor reso. Maybe with all that new equipment they got, they'll build one sometime.

As for the Triolian, I got gas bad for that guitar. I've always thought I wanted an older one, but the ones I've seen haven't impressed me. I'm a nit picker. Any gaps in the top and fretboard I'm unhappy, as well as any other issues as well, so a repro of the original is a fantastic idea and long overdue in my opinion. Any idea when they will be in production?

The price is spot on if you ask me. I just wish there were more options on the color. I'm liking the darker colors more but still it's a fine instrument. Thanks for the info and thanks for the gas. :blink:

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Lenny,

That RadioTone I mentioned in a previous post on this thread was one I bought from you a couple of years ago. Still regret selling it.

Nice to have you on board here, and thanks for the detailed info on this new National. This one has really got me gassy, although that chrome tailpiece is all wrong.

Also, I strongly second JamesFarrell's wish that National would make a parlor size resonator. I, too, would be all over that. Any chance you can nudge them in that direction?
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby VintageNats » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:Lenny,

That RadioTone I mentioned in a previous post on this thread was one I bought from you a couple of years ago. Still regret selling it.

Nice to have you on board here, and thanks for the detailed info on this new National. This one has really got me gassy, although that chrome tailpiece is all wrong.

Also, I strongly second JamesFarrell's wish that National would make a parlor size resonator. I, too, would be all over that. Any chance you can nudge them in that direction?

Ha, I remember that Radio Tone, it was the only one I've ever had. I don't think a small reso is coming very soon but you never know. I did see a couple years ago a metal body that was very shallow, maybe half as deep as a typical body, but they said it sounded lousy. For now, the new Triolian, then some more german silver instruments. Probably the next big thing is a square neck w metal neck like the originals.

I'm interested in trying out some of the cool Republics and others you guys speak of. I've even given thought to offering and stocking them, just haven't gotten far enough along in researching, other than what I read. I had hoped to look closely as some builders at the NAMM but ran out of time.

Bottleneck John, who I see posts here some, (hello BJ) posted a nice video demo of some of his reso's on my Pickin Parlor, including a Resolian.
If any of you have some demo's, please upload them there if you would so others can see and hear. I've done some metal shootouts and even a demo of what putting paper under a cone does. Just stuff reso fiends get into. Here's BJ's below.

http://pickinparlor.vintagenationals.co ... 51645.html

Cheers, Len
VintageNats
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:44 pm

I got some videos too as well Lenny, but they are on youtube. I'll have to see if I have the originals. Resolians are nice but as I mentioned require a little tweaking to get the sound optimal. Frank sent me a nice copper one a week or so ago. All I had to do to it was repost the mushrooms. He had sent me a brass resolian a week prior and the neck was twisted like a pretzel. That's unacceptable, but since he sent the wrong one anyhow, he made good. Frank is a good man to deal with and has bent over backwards for me.

I wish someone could build something between a National and a Republic, like in the $1000 range I'm really tired of working on them as it takes away from playing. I'm selling one that I had work done on by Larry Stevens to help fund that triolian which I hopefully will be ordering from you Lenny. :mrgreen:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I've got a Johnson I'll sell you for $1000.
ricochet
Regular

Postby username » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm

bottleneck wrote:of course usually the duolian sounds better

does the triolian have the dreaded maple neck?

Of course.
Gotta love some of the "expert opinions" handed out on internet forums.

Style Os, mandolin, tenor, plectrum and Style 35 Tricones, even the outrageously ornate Beauchamp model - they ALL had maple necks, and no one else ever refers to them as "dreaded" - unless you're talking about the "dreaded" BAKELITE necks that came on some Triolians.

If National ever used a "dreaded" type of wood it is the "dreaded" BASSWOOD necks that were used from 1936 onward on Triolians AND Duolians.
At which point the difference between the two was reduced to binding and paint.
username
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:41 pm

i hate to tell you this username,since you went through the trouble to start a new profile just to respond: my entire post was meant to be a lighthearted joke.hence the "haha" and the tongue in cheek insult to NRP as opposed to vintage.i like all resos ,even the ones that are so cheap they don't even sound like resos.in fact i just like instruments.i even like the ones i hate.haha,please note,haha

i thought"if you hit them hard enough they all sound the same,even a style O"or something like that that i said was an obvious joke.think about it.

and yes ,i do play a post '36 duolian.which you say is a basswood neck,i don't really care what the wood is,i like it.and it cost me $40.so,neeener.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

now on to discussing new nationals.are they doing away with the delphi and replacing it with the triolian,or is the triolian in addition to the delphi?
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 am

I don't think they'll get rid of the delphi. The necks are identical probalby, save for the wood used and they have the tooling for the delphi body. So I doubt they would get rid of it. It would be nice to see something besides the krinkle finish on the delphi as well.

LOL @ the 1 post argument
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 am

Wow! The more I hear this trio--the better it looks!
OldWailer
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

and the trigger has been pulled.

:shock:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:and the trigger has been pulled.

:shock:

Did you order one...?

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Yep, screw it, 2012 is coming, so might as well be happy right? :blink:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Lawson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm

What's happening in 2012?
Lawson
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm

google it and see.

I sort of joke about it, but who the f*** knows.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Obama might get reelected! :shock:
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar