Is there a reasonably priced tricone cutaway?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Is there a reasonably priced tricone cutaway?

Postby OldWailer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 am

I've been messing around with an old Blueridge flattop that I made into a slide guitar--but I'm
getting a real bad GAS attack for a tricone.

Trouble is, a 12-fret guitar just isn't right for me--I gotta have either 14 frets or a cutaway.

I know--there are some really cool National's--including the Baritone, (which just makes me harder than
chinese algebra)--but they all cost well in excess of $2000.

I emailed Frank at Republic to ask about a tricone for me--but he said they don't have anything but
12-fretters at this time.

I'm new to bottlenecking--but I've been playing guitar for over 40 years--I use the frets above 12 frequently.

Is there a reasonably priced tricone that is good, and reasonably priced???
OldWailer
Regular

Re: Is there a reasonably priced tricone cutaway?

Postby farmslave » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Stick with the Nationals for a cutaway IMO. You know, National makes the Reso Rocket PC in a cutaway single cone. And Reso Rocket Vintage Steel in a single cone cutaway.. They are about $2,500 or more. . as far as the National Cutaway Tricones they start at about $2.900 for a cutaway. BUT you can find these guitars cheaper through CERTAIN dealers.
I have a Vintage Steele National 12 fret that I have no problem flying up the upper frets with, it just takes time for the adjustments to make the flight , but it can be done.
BTW my tricone is for sale, I need a National Baritone, or another National single cone..
Good Luck....

http://www.youtube.com/1farmslave
http://www.soundclick.com/farmslave
farmslave
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:59 pm

I bought a 14 fret Republic Biscuit for the same reason - access to the upper frets. I'm always capoing somewhere between the 1st and 5th frets. I don't know if you've ever played a Republic Biscuit, but there's lots of sustain if that's why you want the tricone. If you like the quick attack like a banjo gives in your picking hand, you'd like the biscuit, too. You can't go wrong with Republic, that's for sure.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to check out the Republic Biscuit--I haven't played any Republics at all, but
I've read so much about them I don't really want anything else--unless its a National, which I can't afford.

I'll go listen to some more sound clips on the Republic site--I was pretty sold on the tricone sound--but I'll pay
closer attention to the biscuit.

I had a Dobro square Spider once that had a good tone and sustain--maybe I'll check the spiders out too. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:01 am

I really love the sound of a spider. Nothing quite like it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 pm

farmslave wrote:S
BTW my tricone is for sale, I need a National Baritone, or another National single cone..
Good Luck....

I'm hearing ya, bigtime.
I have a Republic tricone; I'm debating as to whether to install National HotRod cones....
What I really crave - a National Tricone Baritone.
Alas - with a kid in college an her brother headed to college in the fall, discretionary funding is a bit tight..

Still, one can dream:

Good Luck

pEAcE,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby farmslave » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 pm

I agree with you Troubleman, about the National Baritone. It has endless sound, and depth. the Style 1 starts out at $3,700 --- through the Style 4 $7,004 !! these are the brass models.
I like brass body single cone or tricones the best.
Don't get me wrong, the National Vintage Steel I have is a great guitar, I should have got the National Style 1 brass, with nickle Tricone.
Better sounding, more bass ect. I like 12 fret models.
As far as installing Nationals new cones , go for it. It will make a difference.
I like you hope to someday have a Baritone, I don't know how I will ever get one I sold all my cattle last October, hard to make money farming anymore. I don't miss going out to feed them on mornings like today - 14 degrees!! But I have some other junk I can sell, farm related. And a couple Stratocasters that have not been played in years. Maby someday I'll have one
Good Luck!!!
farmslave
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Well, I keep trying to con, er convince my wife that if I needed a heart transplant, 4 grand wouldn't seem like so
much money--so, why not get a Baritone instead?

Anyway, it didn't work yet--I still might have to settle for a nice spider--which is the way I'm leaning now. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:14 am

She just may tell you to go down in the basement and catch your own nice spider.
ricochet
Regular

Postby JamesAJ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 am

Has anyone seen the republic clarksdale special? It's a tricone that has 14frets to the body and then on top of that has a cutaway. I haven't heard anything about this thing
JamesAJ
Regular

Return to Guitar