How can I be a "Professional" player like James Farrell?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: How can I be a "Professional" player like James Farrell?

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 am

Did you use the Hippocratic method?

I've gotten several back in by having them dangle the arm off the side of a bed and hang onto a pail with some weight in it. Seems less traumatic.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:22 am

It was a while ago so I can't remember what it was called but it doesn't sound like it.
I found this dusty old book in the ships hospital called something like "Emergency First Aid for Seaman" printed in the 1920's.
It gave about three methods. The only one that worked was having the man sit with the arm hanging by his side elbow bent at 90 degrees, hand facing forward as if playing the piano.
I then swivelled the shoulder through 180 degrees so the guys fingers were pointing exactly backwards and playing the piano directly behind himself (looked very stange indeed).
Then swung it back while lifting the arm sort of up and over. There was a disgusting sound of grinding gristle and in it popped much to everyones relief!
I got free drinks for the rest of the trip! :roll: :lol: 8)
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:26 am

The main problem is stretching the spasmed muscles. It was a bit similar to reducing a hip joint in a german Shepherd. ie. bloody difficult!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 am

"Hats? Ha!! It's all about the shoes...... 8) "

Those shoes just about stopped my heart!

Looking good.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 am

Yeah, getting the muscles to relax enough to let the humeral head slip out so it can pop back in is the trick.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 am

ricochet wrote:Yeah, getting the muscles to relax enough to let the humeral head slip out so it can pop back in is the trick.

I agree. I called the method I used "The Exorcist" because it reminded me of that famous scene where the girl's head swivles around on her body!
I had to take the poor buggers arm so far around you could see the profole of the humeral head bulging through the skin. I tried it twice before and each time I increased the amount of rotation I put on the arm so I must have put plenty of traction on the muscles.
I must say it felt horrible having never done it before but at least it worked.
He was a very happy camper once it was done and so were the whole crew.
It was back in the 80's still during the cold war and the nearest base Hospital was a Russian one at Aden.
The crew weren't looking forward to sailing into there but I think it would have been OK. People are people in times of emergency and we were a civilian ship.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby michelle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:19 am

ricochet wrote:
michelle wrote:You got a problem, lets work it out in words, if that don't work, let's blindfold ourselves and have a knife fight. LOL.

I've read that the Cossacks had a drinking party game in which one guy was "It," blindfolded and stood on a table with a revolver in his hand. His friends would all take turns popping up like Jack-in-the-box around the room, yell "Cuckoo," then dive out of the way as he whirled and tried to shoot them. If you got shot, you lost. And everyone else would laugh at you. They'd probably laugh even harder if another guy got shot instead. Those Cossacks were fun-loving folks.

A way of dueling in 19th century America was to hold onto the ends of a handkerchief with the left hand while attempting to carve your opponent with the Bowie knife in your right hand. You lost by turning loose of the hanky first, or getting mortally wounded. The Bowie knife duel was also done by the two opponents so armed going into a room, only one of them coming out.

Actually i was quoting someone else. How do you quote someones post but not all of it?
michelle
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:16 am

[quote="michelle]Actually i was quoting someone else. How do you quote someones post but not all of it?[/quote]

You mean like that?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:01 pm

ricochet wrote:Did you use the Hippocratic method?

I've gotten several back in by having them dangle the arm off the side of a bed and hang onto a pail with some weight in it. Seems less traumatic.

When I was practicing, I did basically the same thing or alternatively used a sand bag with a handle fashioned onto it for them to hold. More difficult patients got about 5mg of Valium push, then the reduction, followed up with a Valpeau dressing for a week or so.

The worst dislocation I ever dealt with was a hip. Got it back in, but had to use some Morphine to get the job done. Navy Hospital Corpsman school taught us pretty damned good!
Last edited by Bant's Bluz on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby michelle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 pm

kiwiblues wrote:[

yeah
michelle
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:13 pm

I use the hypocrite method. I say one thing, mean another and contradict myself to the hilt constantly.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:43 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:I use the hypocrite method. I say one thing, mean another and contradict myself to the hilt constantly.

Sounds like your new hat will suit you perfectly with all the crocodile tears you must shed.
Howz about a new stage name "Crocodile Farrell"?
Crocodile James?
James Crocodile Farrell?
Croc James?
Jimmy Crocodile?
Crocskinner Farrell???
Crochead Farrell?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 am

jamesfarrell wrote:I use the hypocrite method. I say one thing, mean another and contradict myself to the hilt constantly.

A good hat will do that to a man. Good on you. Should be more of it.
michelle
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:13 am

michelle wrote:

LOL, ok, you asked....

I never say what I mean, I never mean what I say and I never practice what I preach either. I'm a contradicted 1 sided german 2 faced *****ng prick

Your right is my left. I've decided the sky is purple long ago. Everyone else is wrong. I have all the answers for myself and none for anyone else. Finally, I'm in the Matrix but not of it.
too :blink: :blink: :mrgreen: :wha: :blink: :mrgreen:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 am

jamesfarrell wrote:
michelle wrote:

LOL, ok, you asked....

I never say what I mean, I never mean what I say and I never practice what I preach either. I'm a contradicted 1 sided german 2 faced *****ng prick

Your right is my left. I've decided the sky is purple long ago. Everyone else is wrong. I have all the answers for myself and none for anyone else. Finally, I'm in the Matrix but not of it.
too :blink: :blink: :mrgreen: :wha: :blink: :mrgreen:

It's all a bit heavy for me. Just stick tothe Knitting, preferably with your hat on!!
kiwiblues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar