How can I be a "Professional" player like James Farrell?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: How can I be a "Professional" player like James Farrell?

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 pm

No, it's not snake or croc, but Leather, but looks cool. And yeah about the shoes, shit, hadn't thought about that yet.

AUSTRALIAN HAND CRAFTED BLACK CROCODILE PRINT LEATHER PORK PIE HAT

· Hand crafted by Australian Company Cobb & Co Hats & Accessories in Melbourne, Australia

· Made from premium quality, durable, black croc print patent leather – patent leather is genuine leather, which has been finished with a shiny lacquer by the tannery – it is not imitation leather

· Our Pork Pie Hats are designed to stay in great shape – the brim is reinforced with a lightweight, hidden wire, and the leather is hand picked to be the right weight to support the hat’s shape

· Comes with choice of a flat leather band and small, stylish golden/black badge, or a thin black leather braided band

· We can customize any of our hats to suit individual customers’ wishes (i.e. shorten the brim, widen the brim or change the height of the crown) – please contact us re. queries/requests

· Comes with our Manufacturer’s Guarantee, as well as Care Instructions

· 7 Day return policy available

Enquiries welcome: on +61-(0)401-948-407 or at cobbcoleather@yahoo.com
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:18 pm

That sounds like a great resource, especially for the guys on here who like to "style" when they gig. I generally don't wear hats when I play 'cuz they make me sweat too much, and my hair is part of my "look". Thanks for the link.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:03 pm

My hair sucks. I tried to grow it long, but it just turns into a F'N mop. So I hide the mess with a hat. I got a hat fetish, have a whole bunch of them.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:10 pm

I love 'em too. I jus' wish I felt more comfortable wearin' 'em. Bosco (a harper who's deserted us here) used to wear fedoras when he played, and he looked real good in 'em. When I was growin' up in high school playin' music, the black guys all used to wear nice hats and fancy Italian shoes, and I dug the crap outa them; but, I was the young white guy playin' soul and r&b, mixed up with a buncha older black guys, and I didn't wanna look like a wanna-be, so I kept my long hair and jus' played what they told me (I was playin' trumpet back then). Now I'm a short,fat,greyhaired white guy and it's darn impossible to make me look good, so I try to jus' let my music do the talkin'. I'm glad there's some guys who can still look good wearin' that stuff though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Well to me the blues is not just music, but state of mind. I've always had my own way of doing things. Around here, nobody wears hats except the sideways wearing baseball hat / rap fools with their pants hanging down past their ass. Now that looks uncomfortable.

So, since nobody wears hats, ima f'n wear hats. If I look like a blues wana be, so be it. I never really listened to blues, till I got a reso, so maybe I am a wanabe, but I hate my hair, so I hide it with a hat :mrgreen:

If the hat makes me look cool, then that's an added bonus, LOL.

Can't you just picture me as a door to door salesman? Come on you can trust me. LOFL

jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:26 pm

I like to wear hats. Always have. I need a good basic black fedora, that's one I don't have.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Cool. I'm in Melbourne next week visiting my son. I'll look them up! :lol: :shock: :!:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Steinar Gregertsen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 pm

Hats? Ha!! It's all about the shoes...... 8)

Steinar Gregertsen
Regular

Postby michelle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 pm

I don't play chip on the shoulder like so many women I know. You got a problem, lets work it out in words, if that don't work, let's blindfold ourselves and have a knife fight. LOL.

Am i being paranoid or was that a dig at me.
Love the hat. My ex was a hat man, Damn sexy, even if he is old and has man boobs. Check out "Suffrin Willy Lee" on Myspace.
michelle
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 pm

michelle wrote:I don't play chip on the shoulder like so many women I know. You got a problem, lets work it out in words, if that don't work, let's blindfold ourselves and have a knife fight. LOL.

Am i being paranoid or was that a dig at me.
Love the hat. My ex was a hat man, Damn sexy, even if he is old and has man boobs. Check out "Suffrin Willy Lee" on Myspace.

Hey, was that a dig at me!!!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby michelle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Now would i go messin with a nieghbour. Will you be in Melbourne on the 19th of September. We've got the Guildford Banjo Jamboree happening that weekend just a few hours out of Melbourne.
michelle
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 pm

michelle wrote:Now would i go messin with a nieghbour. Will you be in Melbourne on the 19th of September. We've got the Guildford Banjo Jamboree happening that weekend just a few hours out of Melbourne.

Bugger no. I'm only there next Saturday until Tuesday then Geelong to see some friends then up to Port Douglas for a week of warm weather and swimming.
It's been so cold here this winter it's kinda hard to believe in global warming. ( I try not to 'cos I live at the beach!)
Definitely looking forward to the tropics for a few days.
Now they are so strict on baggage weight all I can take is my smallest soprano uke! :wha: :cry:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 pm

michelle wrote:You got a problem, lets work it out in words, if that don't work, let's blindfold ourselves and have a knife fight. LOL.

I've read that the Cossacks had a drinking party game in which one guy was "It," blindfolded and stood on a table with a revolver in his hand. His friends would all take turns popping up like Jack-in-the-box around the room, yell "Cuckoo," then dive out of the way as he whirled and tried to shoot them. If you got shot, you lost. And everyone else would laugh at you. They'd probably laugh even harder if another guy got shot instead. Those Cossacks were fun-loving folks.

A way of dueling in 19th century America was to hold onto the ends of a handkerchief with the left hand while attempting to carve your opponent with the Bowie knife in your right hand. You lost by turning loose of the hanky first, or getting mortally wounded. The Bowie knife duel was also done by the two opponents so armed going into a room, only one of them coming out.
ricochet
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 pm

ricochet wrote:
michelle wrote:You got a problem, lets work it out in words, if that don't work, let's blindfold ourselves and have a knife fight. LOL.

I've read that the Cossacks had a drinking party game in which one guy was "It," blindfolded and stood on a table with a revolver in his hand. His friends would all take turns popping up like Jack-in-the-box around the room, yell "Cuckoo," then dive out of the way as he whirled and tried to shoot them. If you got shot, you lost. And everyone else would laugh at you. They'd probably laugh even harder if another guy got shot instead. Those Cossacks were fun-loving folks.

A way of dueling in 19th century America was to hold onto the ends of a handkerchief with the left hand while attempting to carve your opponent with the Bowie knife in your right hand. You lost by turning loose of the hanky first, or getting mortally wounded. The Bowie knife duel was also done by the two opponents so armed going into a room, only one of them coming out.

Damn.......... Heck with that! :shock:
I'll stick to Guitar Duels.......that way when I lose only my ego gets hurt :D
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Reminds me of a game I used to play with my kids called "Are you there Moriarty".
Played it with the crew of a ship once in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Dislocated the Captains' shoulder and being the only person with any medical knowledge on board I had to put it back in.
Turned out he'd dislocated it twice before and had to go to hospital and have it reduced under a GA each time as he was a big muscular guy.
Anyway, we filled him up with pain killers and got him drunk on duty free whiskey. Then I got him to bite on an old T shirt like they do when they remove bullets in John Wayne movies.
Managed to get it back in on the third attempt. Never seen such relief on anyones face before or since! :wink:
kiwiblues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar