I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Well the previous posts kind of 'scrunched' this thread up. Just before it finally 'folds'.
The best solution is to go on the dole then you can play the guitar full time.
If you go professional and make more than a few dollars a week they'll take the dole off you.
So it's the best and only way yo reach guitar Nirvana and satisfy your need to "play guitar fulltime but not profession-wise" :lol: :P :idea: :twisted:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 am

kiwiblues wrote:Well the previous posts kind of 'scrunched' this thread up. Just before it finally 'folds'.
If you go professional and make more than a few dollars a week they'll take the dole off you.
So it's the best and only way yo reach guitar Nirvana and satisfy your need to "play guitar fulltime but not profession-wise" :lol: :P :idea: :twisted:

Now that gave me a chuckle.

but I've been writing a new song and it has a little hint of Son House & Mississippi Fred Mc Dowel.

The song is called Shake on down in A. "Yeah I know that Fred has a song called Shake em on down in Em"

but mines a bit different.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby michelle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:50 am

kiwiblues wrote:Well the previous posts kind of 'scrunched' this thread up. Just before it finally 'folds'.

I prefer to think of it as an " arts supplement" not the "dole". Apparently some countries pay their artists and musicians to be artists and musicians. I'm an artist/musician thats makes coffee for a living.
michelle
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm a computer programmer who plays guitar as a hobby. I'm under no illusions that the world needs or wants another acoustic fingerstyle blues guitarist. Esp. a mediocre one. I'm not expecting the world to conform to my wants and desire. I bend to it's will or I break. I learned that lesson in my early 20's. Now I get up everyday and go to work and get paid. My hobbies are my hobbies - I'll always lose money on them. So be it.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Nicodemus wrote:I'm a computer programmer who plays guitar as a hobby. I'm under no illusions that the world needs or wants another acoustic fingerstyle blues guitarist. Esp. a mediocre one.
Why not?

I rather see another blues guitarists then a stupid rap group or a stupid boy band, girl band so on.

How ever the lady that does the apple commercial is sexy in her own right.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Catweazle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Derekslide wrote:How ever the lady that does the apple commercial is sexy in her own right.

Got big pips, has she?
Catweazle
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 pm

haven't seen the Apple commercials. haven't actually turned on a teevee other than to watch an instructional dvd in about 2 years now. I had cable tv for a month or so and it was the biggest waste of money i could imagine. seriously... but that's off topic.
so she's got talent, eh? must be nice to be an attractive young female these days. world's your oyster. wtf do I know, I'm a fugly middle aged man.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:53 am

Nicodemus wrote:I'm a computer programmer who plays guitar as a hobby. I'm under no illusions that the world needs or wants another acoustic fingerstyle blues guitarist. Esp. a mediocre one. I'm not expecting the world to conform to my wants and desire. I bend to it's will or I break. I learned that lesson in my early 20's. Now I get up everyday and go to work and get paid. My hobbies are my hobbies - I'll always lose money on them. So be it.
A good fingerstyle blues guitarist would be just a fingerstyle blues guitarist without the mediocre ones for comparison. There is a place in this world for the mediocre and the unknown. What would small communities be without the local bands that are never gonna be famous but provide good honest entertainment for local folks. Sounds to me like someones throwing a tanty coz he never got famous so now he wants to be the greatest unknown guitar player the world has never seen. F#@@@ck what you percieve the world needs or doesnt need. We eat, we sh##t, we live, we die, the rest is just window dressing. I for one like my mediocre window and i'm happy with the way I've dressed it. Not everyones gonna know who i am but i'm not hiding away. I enjoy playing music with other people, i enjoy playing it by myself. Do you enjoy playing music Nico, Does it feed your soul or your ego? Damn, i cant even remember now why i got so mad, but you pissed me off, Nico. Maybe i'm just having a bad day rant or maybe i'm just sick of muso's who hide behind the massive chips on their shoulders. I know i'll be sorry i posted this tomorrow but i'm posting it anyway.
michelle
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 am

Nothing worse than an upset ozzy eh Nico?
My boss is one so I should know!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 pm

michelle wrote: There is a place in this world for the mediocre and the unknown. What would small communities be without the local bands that are never gonna be famous but provide good honest entertainment for local folks. Sounds to me like someones throwing a tanty coz he never got famous so now he wants to be the greatest unknown guitar player the world has never seen. F#@@@ck what you percieve the world needs or doesnt need. We eat, we sh##t, we live, we die, the rest is just window dressing. I for one like my mediocre window and i'm happy with the way I've dressed it. Not everyones gonna know who i am but i'm not hiding away. I enjoy playing music with other people, i enjoy playing it by myself. Do you enjoy playing music Nico, Does it feed your soul or your ego? Damn, i cant even remember now why i got so mad, but you pissed me off, Nico. Maybe i'm just having a bad day rant or maybe i'm just sick of muso's who hide behind the massive chips on their shoulders. I know i'll be sorry i posted this tomorrow but i'm posting it anyway.

There isn't a band already called Stroppy Sheila is there?

To be honest, I'm with you, you do it alone or in front of a thousand, but you do need to get up, get out and do it.

I've said it before, I no longer have stage fright or concern over what and audience thinks. I have a guitar and an amplifier; trust me, I'm not the one with the problem
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Hey guys, How do you know you can play well? "not professional well" but good enough to wow some people with what you know?

Only reason I'm saying this I may quite the guitar and give up my futile dream of becoming a good guitarist once for all.

My teacher says one thing, and you guys say another thing, and I think I believe you guys more because your not wanting a $100 a month from me. And thus tell me the truth if I suck worse then a 2 dollar while drunk LOL.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Play the guitar. Play music. Look at that word, play. Just have fun and play and let the sun shine for you. Gets me through the week.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

I've never had any dreams of becoming a "good guitarist." I've even quit struggling to achieve mediocrity. But I play what I want to and have fun with it. Not worried about what anyone else thinks. It's a pastime, not something I have to make my living at.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:50 pm

michelle wrote:
Nicodemus wrote:I'm a computer programmer who plays guitar as a hobby. I'm under no illusions that the world needs or wants another acoustic fingerstyle blues guitarist. Esp. a mediocre one. I'm not expecting the world to conform to my wants and desire. I bend to it's will or I break. I learned that lesson in my early 20's. Now I get up everyday and go to work and get paid. My hobbies are my hobbies - I'll always lose money on them. So be it.
A good fingerstyle blues guitarist would be just a fingerstyle blues guitarist without the mediocre ones for comparison. There is a place in this world for the mediocre and the unknown. What would small communities be without the local bands that are never gonna be famous but provide good honest entertainment for local folks. Sounds to me like someones throwing a tanty coz he never got famous so now he wants to be the greatest unknown guitar player the world has never seen. F#@@@ck what you percieve the world needs or doesnt need. We eat, we sh##t, we live, we die, the rest is just window dressing. I for one like my mediocre window and i'm happy with the way I've dressed it. Not everyones gonna know who i am but i'm not hiding away. I enjoy playing music with other people, i enjoy playing it by myself. Do you enjoy playing music Nico, Does it feed your soul or your ego? Damn, i cant even remember now why i got so mad, but you pissed me off, Nico. Maybe i'm just having a bad day rant or maybe i'm just sick of muso's who hide behind the massive chips on their shoulders. I know i'll be sorry i posted this tomorrow but i'm posting it anyway.

I don't know, I'm tempted to let this go w/out a response because it's so obviously the by-product of internet rage... and I have zero compulsion or need to defend myself against someone who has never met me and who, even if I had met them, I probably wouldn't be particularly concerned with their opinions and attitudes towards me... so why waste the time? Then again, I really hate to be misunderstood and you're clearly not getting what I'm "about" if you think I want to be "famous" or whatever you assert. If I wanted to be famous (the thought horrifies me) I'd be out there pimping my pretty face (I'm a fine looking man) at every opportunity, demanding people listen to my music despite the fact that I'm mediocre (being mediocre never stopped Brittany, Madonna, Joe Walsh or Dick Cheney, why should it stop me?) and pursuing fame at every opportunity. As it is I've never once played out. I've never once asked anyone to listen to my music. I've never claimed to be good. I've never desired material rewards for my playing. I play because, fuck, I love it. If I wanted fame and fortune I wouldn't be playing fingerstyle acoustic blues, now would I? (now wood eye?) I think you're looking for a target and you chose me. Good for you if it gets you through the day. Absolutely fucking meaningless to me, however. So, basically, blow me.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Well Nicodemus I don't want fame and fortune either.

I just want to play well "thats my goal but my right hand accuracy sucks and its almost been a year and no improvement.

By the way I'm not going to target anyone I want the real truth even if its hurtful.
Derekslide
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar