I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby johntuggle » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm

maxx england wrote:My playing improves every time I play with someone else, you have to expand your reflexes and knowledge to do that. Practicing on your own will serve to learn technical stuff, and that's enormously useful, but you need to play with others to make some sense and use of it.

It actually helps as well to play with erratic players and singers, you get to learn how to adapt so fast nobody notices, and that's a skill no teacher or solitary practice :wha: ever can impart.

I used to play with this old blues guy who learned to play by sitting on his front porch with his harmonica. He was about 75 years old and he didn't care about following any strict rules. I IV V, sometimes he would just jump to the verse during the turnaround. I learned a lot from that. Sometimes it doesn't have the follow the textbook formula. He played on feel only and he was a widely recognized blues singer Georgia.

They called him "Big Daddy" Neal Pattman. He lost one arm when he was younger.

Here's some of his music. I didn't play on any of that. http://cdbaby.com/cd/bigdaddyp
johntuggle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:52 pm

johntuggle wrote:I used to play with this old blues guy who learned to play by sitting on his front porch with his harmonica. He was about 75 years old and he didn't care about following any strict rules. I IV V, sometimes he would just jump to the verse during the turnaround. I learned a lot from that. Sometimes it doesn't have the follow the textbook formula. He played on feel only and he was a widely recognized blues singer Georgia.

They called him "Big Daddy" Neal Pattman. He lost one arm when he was younger.

Here's some of his music. I didn't play on any of that. http://cdbaby.com/cd/bigdaddyp

JohnT, I saw Big Daddy on KWS's "10 Days Out". I liked his style and would have loved to meet him.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you for the Big Daddy Pattern link hes pretty cool.

props.

It's all good.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby johntuggle » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:38 pm

He was a really great guy. He would always look over at me and say "boy you ready to play that guitar?"
He also started every song in the key of the harmonica. He would say this one is in Bb, which transposed to guitar would be F, I think.

Anyway great guy who I learned a lot from when I was younger.
johntuggle
Regular

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 pm

I have a friend who is an excellent guitarist. (Check him out if you are ever in New Orleans.. Wolf Hodge. Plays with Smoky Greenwell, Margie Perez, and any other group that needs a guitarist for the night) He teaches guitar in a local school and then gigs nearly every night sometimes with two or three bands. He says its all he wants to do. I asked if he ever got tired of playing and he was like "Are you kidding?" I wish I had that drive to play... Good thing about being a musician in New Orleans is that they mostly practice at the gigs....They all gig so much they don't have time for alot of "practice time"
Slim
Regular

Postby too2tall » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:34 am

I think Rusty is right. How you practice makes a huge difference. I love to jam with songs or jamtracks and that helps in its own way but when I really see progression is when I do reps of exercises to make me better with right hand or left hand technique.
too2tall
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:31 pm

I have always debated (mass debated, frankly) whether tis nobler in mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous technique practice or to talk arms against a sea of tunes and learning them. The debate rages to this day, with a bare bodkin. Sometimes I think it's best to practice technique but then if you don't use those techniques in a song what's the point? Finger exercises? Nobody has ever said "hey man, can you play me that really cool practice thing you were doing early?" People say "hey could you play that song you played awhile back?" The end point is to play songs, not to play exercises. So a side of me says "do nothing but learn songs" and technique will take care of itself.
But I'm a big believer in having technique for the sake of technique. I want to master my instrument.
Basically I'm torn. Sometimes I practice scales, which are essentially useless to a self-described "delta blues" player, but I want to know my scales and be a good single note player because a well rounded guitarist can play lead lines using scales, etc.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:10 am

Nicodemus wrote:The end point is to play songs, not to play exercises. So a side of me says "do nothing but learn songs" and technique will take care of itself.

The end point is surely to make music. Practice and exercises can be music. To get a bit highbrow, Domenico Scarlatti's 30 harpsichord sonatas were originally written as exercises for himself and his students.

Why do I find it slightly embarrassing that I know that :blink:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I "wrote" an exercise in major scales and called it Georgia Porch. It's turned out to be the only thing of my own so far people actually ask for. Funny, that.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nicodemus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:35 pm

maxx england wrote:I "wrote" an exercise in major scales and called it Georgia Porch. It's turned out to be the only thing of my own so far people actually ask for. Funny, that.

may tell you more about your songwriting skills than anything else. If people prefer your "exercises" then...
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:18 pm

Are you a folder or a scruncher Nico?
michelle
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:46 pm

michelle wrote:Are you a folder or a scruncher Nico?

I can do either, Michelle. I tend to fold, though. I'm organized that way. What about you?
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby michelle » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:22 am

Origami if i can be bothered. depends on my mood.
michelle
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 am

michelle wrote:Origami if i can be bothered. depends on my mood.

overachiever
Nicodemus
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar