I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby Derekslide » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:03 am

michelle wrote:Get yourself a musical project with a deadline. Its hard to just practise with no goal in mind. I do my best work and my longest stretches of constant work when i put a proverbial gun to my head. Meaning, if i dont get this project done, if i dont learn these tunes i'm going to be letting a whole lot of people down or I've advertised this gig and if i dont learn these tunes i'm gonna look like a fool.
Thanks Michelle, but I've got 3 goals right now so practice is NEVER BORING or MINDLESS noodling. Right now I'm learning Crossroads, Old friend "Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks" version and I'm learning Derek Truck's Finger Style and a few scales I can put to slide.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby michelle » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:33 am

There great goals but my point with the deadline is that if you had to learn all of that by this time next week you would have no other option but practise 7 hours a day.
michelle
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:01 am

Goals? Deadlines? Man, that stuff will give you the blues :).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby michelle » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:50 am

exactly
michelle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:26 am

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby johntuggle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

If you want to maximize your practice time do this.

Write down your goals for the month
Write down a practice routine that you will do 5 days a week

Your routine could consist of this

warm up 10 minutes
scales 30 minutes
improvising 30 minutes
chords 30 minutes
learning new licks 20 minutes

That's 2 hours of focused training. The key is you have to have a goal to where you want to go or you'll never get anywhere. You can't hit a target that's not there.

When you achieve your goal set new ones. You must write them down!

Do this for a year and I guarantee you will make dramatic improvements.
johntuggle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm always the odd man out in these discussions. Everyone else has a life. Here's my story: I have a day job (computer programmer) that takes 40 hours a week, no more, no less. I get home from work at 5:15 each day. I go to bed at midnight each night. This leaves me basically 7 hours of time each evening. I have chosen not to get married and I have no kids. I have no girlfriend or significant other. All my time is my own, which is exactly how i want it because, simply put, I have structured my life around playing the guitar. I love to play. I pick up the guitar each night around 5:30 or so and put it down at about 11:45 each night, taking breaks in between to make coffee, roll a "J" and take a bio break. I get in about 5 hours of playing each night, M-F and about 8 hours on Sat/Sun.
With that time I learn new songs, practice new techniques and play my set list over and over again. I play one song for an hour straight so that I have come up with many different ways of playing it (I have, oh, about 20 versions of Statesborough Blues at this point) and "master it" (to the degree I'm capable of mastering anything, that is) I try to focus on my 3 "basic techniques" as I understand them - Monotonic bass/Alternating bass; Slide; single note/lead lines. I put in an hour with each technique each night. I also practice my "audience rapport" and get used to playing standing up and in front of a microphone on a stand (it makes a difference) I practice my 'performance' each night - introduce the song, play it to completion w/out restarting (learn to 'play through' mistakes) and give 'em a nice big, obvious ending. Next, introduce next song, etc.. play a 'mini-gig' of about 30 minutes. I view myself as an opening act currently so I expect to take up 30 - 45 minutes of performance time when I play out. I want to know exactly how much time I can spend doing what.
When I "get bored" (never happens) I learn a new song. I can honestly say that I have never once been bored when I've had a guitar in my hands, though. There's always something I want to play!
I realize that I am never going to be a famous guitar player. I am not seeking to become the next Eric Clapton. I have no pretenses towards fame and glory. I don't have a MySpace page, I don't post MP3s online, nobody knows my name. I have a goal in life: become a great guitar player. My goal in life is NOT: become worshiped as a musician/get chicks/make a ton of money/retire early. I don't care if nobody ever hears me play my guitar, ever. I don't bother playing out (even though I have a set all rehearsed and ready to go) and I don't pimp myself or promote myself or my ambitions, musically. My goal is to be satisfied with what I've accomplished on the instrument. I'm not here to entertain people. I'm not a juke box and I'm not the evenings entertainment. I play for my own satisfaction and nobody else. I will never ask any of you to download my new cd or check out my upcoming gig. This is a pursuit done purely for my own pleasure. Nobody else is invited. I refuse to inflict my music upon the world.

That's my rant, that's my story. Someday I'll be a great guitar player. Heck, I'm close now, to be honest. I can say that w/out ego because I'm not here pushing myself on other people, getting them to buy my product or join my "cult of personality." I'm going to be The Great Unknown. I'll die with a smile on my face but none of you will know what I'm so happy about.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:16 pm

You know, if you keep doing that, you might go blind.

Music is a form of communication - of social communion. That's what it IS, like language, like religion, like other forms of art.

In order to be complete, there wants to be a performer, and an auditor. It's good for you.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Nicodemus, I've never heard of anybody who approached music that way. It's so different that it almost makes me angry out of frustration. I'm not judging you at all...music can be very subjective, so it's your choice. I get Lummo's point too-- in fact, his take seems way more normal to me. My initial reaction to your post was that it sounded like a discourse in masturbation. Overall, my reaction seemed to me like the reaction some people have to encountering people of different race than their own. Interesting.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I kept on picturing Rupert Pupkin rehearsing his comedy routine in The King of Comedy when I read Nicodemus' post. :!:
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby johntuggle » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Just remember that when you're in front of an audience, there are certain things you will play that you will have never played before, because of the energy of the crowd, and you reacting to it. There is no way to replicate this in your room.

It's also a lot of fun playing with other people. Your experiences in life will also help your guitar playing. Look at the most legendary guitar players.
Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Duane They all led fascinating and interesting lives.

Just my opinion
johntuggle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby slickcat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Nicodemus,
Thats a pretty good practice routine.
I also agree that you should balance it with playing "out" with other real musicians. Its a lot different playing at home when you have it all perfect......then live with others suddenly the Bass player screws up or drummer loses the beat....you have to adjust on the fly.
How you gonna learn to dodge the occasional "flying beer bottle" :lol:
And post some stuff.........nothing wrong with letting others hear ya!! :wink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am

My playing improves every time I play with someone else, you have to expand your reflexes and knowledge to do that. Practicing on your own will serve to learn technical stuff, and that's enormously useful, but you need to play with others to make some sense and use of it.

It actually helps as well to play with erratic players and singers, you get to learn how to adapt so fast nobody notices, and that's a skill no teacher or solitary practice :wha: ever can impart.

And for me, the payback has come at last; strangers come up and congratulate me and the boys for having ourselves a whale of a good time.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar