I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby Catweazle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm

roadkill46 wrote:It sounds to me that zhyla and I have, as you say done something with your life.

Hmmmmmmmm, what exactly have you and zhyla done with derekslide's life?
Catweazle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby roadkill46 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Catweazle wrote:
roadkill46 wrote:It sounds to me that zhyla and I have, as you say done something with your life.

It's an alien conspiracy :blink:
roadkill46
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 pm

If my goal was to play that many hours each day I would have to come up with an organizational plan. This plan would not only help me stay motivated but it would also force me to think about what I really want to accomplish.

My plan would probably set aside time each day for learning a new song, learning and playing scales (forwards, backwards, inside-out), improving technique, playing along with jam tracks and time for just piddling around. Of course as I made improvement, some of these items might be dropped while others are added.

Back in my high school days I knew a few full time guitar players that would practice while watching tv. They would play/jam along with the more popular commercial jingles, day time soap scores, etc. I guess this was beneficial in terms of quickly identifying song keys, honing on-the-fly jamming skills but more importantly breaking up the monotony of playing all day long.

Of course a good guitar player must also know how to listen. So setting aside time each day to listen to other guitar player's techniques, timing, comp'ing skills, etc. is just as important as actually burning up the fretboard.

Additionally, If I could afford it, I might also try to work in a lesson, either guitar, voice or harp, as a teacher would provide good insight for areas needing improvement. I'd try to find one or two jammin buddies to hookup with now and then too.

:cry: Maybe when I win the lottery I'll be able to play more than an hour per day.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Best way to get me to play guitar all day was to enroll my ass in College.
Man, the more class work piled up, the more I wanted to play my guitar, drink beer and serenade the honeys.

Good solid life choices, I assure you.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Derekslide wrote:Yeah that may be fine for you bud, but I want to do something with my life and playing 7 hours a day would be fine for me.

Derek, I suspect you didn't mean it, but it's very easy to read your sentence exactly as roadkill interpreted it.

I think you meant "our life", but good post.

Derekslide wrote:Not sure what to say and try to help you.
Ever try Icy hot patches or anything like that?

Simply not playing or typing works fine. When the problem first manifested itself, I corrected my typing posture and stopped playing the trouble guitar. When I talk about computer use hurting my hands and wrists now, it's more than 14 hours of more or less continuous typing and light mousing - certain computer games speed it up, but, again, if I hurt, I stop.

So setting aside time each day to listen to other guitar player's techniques, timing, comp'ing skills, etc. is just as important as actually burning up the fretboard.

Also listen to other instruments; lots of fantastic phrasing to be heard in brass & woodwind instrument playing as the players have to breathe to play.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Catweazle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 am

roadkill46 wrote:
Catweazle wrote:

It's an alien conspiracy :blink:

So you and zhyla are aliens........................... :?:
Catweazle
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 pm

zhyla wrote:Is it even a good idea to play guitar 7 hours a day? Seems like that would be tough on your hands and joints. Also as much as I love playing, there's a lot more to life than playing a nice series of notes.

I play maybe 20 minutes a day (average). Job, wife, cleaning, cooking, fixing guitars, etc take a lot of time up. But it seems like a nice balance to me. Computer stuff is by far the biggest waste of time I have.

WORD. You want to get good? Get off the net. Do what I'm going to do. I'm sick of my lack of ability. So, I'm ordering 100 dollars worth of lessons from little brother blues and another 100 dollars worth of homespun stuff. Etta Baker and the like. Piedmont FTW!!!!

So I'm basically going to disappear in a few for another 6 months. It's funny, you see all the pros out gigging and making money, but you don't see them on forums. The internet, as valuable as a resource it is for learning stuff, is also the biggest wast of f*****g waste of time there is. It's counter productive to getting better at any instrument if you ask me.

Also, consider what I do. I could play 6 hours a day, but not 6 hours non stop. Got to take breaks. I switch off from learning and re-mastering once again Carter style picking and piedmont style blues on acoustic guitar then practice some slide blues on the reso.

What do you mean by bum heart?

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:It's funny, you see all the pros out gigging and making money, but you don't see them on forums.

Actually, there are a few pro musicians here, and a few on other boards I'm on (Fenderforum, LesPaulForum) - I know Bob Brozman posts on one that Ricochet is on.

But do what you have to do to make time.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby roadkill46 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:01 pm

I have found that when something ceases to be fun, it is more like work. I do pyrography and scroll saw portraits in the fall/winter and every year the orders get bigger and bigger. what started out as a hobby, turns into a full time job when it is cool and the snowbirds are here. although i make a lot of money doing them, it has actually become more dread than fun, which is what it started out to be. same with a musical instrument. i would be burnt in a week practicing 6-8 hours a day. like i said, when it ceases to be fun, i quit for awhile, usually a long while until it is fun again. i play guitar for relaxation and for my gratification only, i don't post mp3's or anything like that since it is just for me. professional musicians are great and my hat is off to them, it is constant hard work and i'm sure, not that good money, unless you are in the bigs. i said in another post that you have to come to the realization that if you are like me, you are NEVER going to be the next blues or rock and roll star, no matter how much you practice, it is just reality. it is disheartening and invigorating at the same time to watch this kid http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGTfDf4b5oE or this one http://youtube.com/watch?v=ix4TNJvVk8M and realize that i will never be as good as an 8 year old. damn that sux!
roadkill46
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Some good points Roadkill. I also think there's a difference between technical ability and musicianship. For instance, the Black Keys guy isn't the hottest guitar player in the world. But he's got a sound and some songs that are just plain awesome blues.

I'm not sure how it is for you guys but more time doesn't seem to make much difference to my ability. Picking up a different style of music and learning a couple of songs makes a HUGE difference, for me.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:31 pm

I still like the "play as much as you want" philosophy. Music fits a different part of everybody's life, and you just do what feels right. There are times in life where there may not be alot of other demands for your time, and you're free to play and play and play, or listen to music as well.Responding to the demands of raising a family is probably one of the most common reasons for backing off. In general I believe that the more you play, the better you get-- even if you don't really notice the progress yourself. And sometimes, music serves as an escape, when maybe you really should be taking care of other obligations.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:27 pm

All I need to light a fire under my ass is this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zi_0k3hzNS4
3 String Y'all
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby michelle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Get yourself a musical project with a deadline. Its hard to just practise with no goal in mind. I do my best work and my longest stretches of constant work when i put a proverbial gun to my head. Meaning, if i dont get this project done, if i dont learn these tunes i'm going to be letting a whole lot of people down or I've advertised this gig and if i dont learn these tunes i'm gonna look like a fool.
michelle
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar