Bottleneck vs. “slide”

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby lpdeluxe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:45 am

Man, I go away for a month and look what happens! You all go clean all that stuff off and promise not to get into it again. You too, Laurie.

Here's how it is: you can play "bottleneck" (I use the term as a courtesy, even though I personally have never been guilty of using an actual bottleneck) or "slide" (but isn't the preferable, clearer, term, "steel?") and produce loud obnoxious noise with either technique. Or you can, perhaps, again using either technique, play exquisite ethereal music. It's up to you.

Me, I play "bottleneck" on an acoustic guitar, a Les Paul Deluxe, and, more recently (since I just acquired it) an Epiphone Sheraton II that I put Seymour Duncan pickups in. At church I play a wood-body Dobro from 1984 and a lovely old Regal from the '30s, both with a bullet-nose steel. Before old age and infirmity crept up on me, I played a pedal steel with the same implement. My tools of choice on "bottleneck" are a variety of steel and brass tubes that fit my skinny fingers, the choice of which depends on whether I'm playing my acoustic or one of the electrics.

With any of these devices, the sounds I produce depend not on whether my instrument is laying in my lap or resting on my thigh, but on my own abilities, taste and choice of material.

As always and ever, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Now, once you all get cleaned up, it's time for your nap. Laurie, honey, you've been working too hard.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby tobiepsg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 am

lpdeluxe wrote:Man, I go away for a month and look what happens! <snip> Now, once you all get cleaned up, it's time for your nap. Laurie, honey, you've been working too hard.

Hugh? You wake us up at midnight just to tell us to go to bed? :x :wink:
tobiepsg
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar