Bottleneck vs. “slide”

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 pm

laurieforti wrote:> Since you misunderstood (or are being obtuse), …
Is there any way you could just STOP the personal insults and slurs?


Actually, I meant "deliberately obtuse", which is hardly an insult, but an implication that you are reading my posts, understanding them, but replying in a manner suggesting you took a different meaning.

laurieforti wrote:MY complaint against YOU is that you ARE vulgar, and that is not a reasonable way to providing administrative “services” for the masses.


Except that I'm not doing administrivia for the masses: I run this board merely for all that wish to participate. If you do not like how it is run, you do not have to participate; you wouldn't be the first, you wouldn't be the last. In other words, this board exists because a number of people (Dr. Mojo/ReverendMojo, PappyJ) over the years decided to first create and then maintain it, and every single member has absolutely no right to be here, and is only posting here by the grace of those individuals.

With regards to my vulgarity: I use naughty words. Probably more-so than anyone else here - if anyone else objects, they've not said anything. I will endeavour to not aim them at you in future.


laurieforti wrote: > Your writing is combative; …
No, it is not.


Then we have a disagreement of opinion.

there is no reason I should be idle when people are issuing false, hateful statements against me (spam, etc.), so I will call them asking for substantiation.


I seem to recall posting that you weren't a spammer early in this very thread (see "what the fuck?"), and putting the links to your site back in your post after they were removed by the other admin. That was a misunderstanding in light of recent, seemingly relevant, posts that turned out to be spam.


My code of conduct is simple: be polite, support your claims made in public - especially when challenged. Answer all questions in detail. Support your opinions with facts and logic. This is the
way civilized people debate.


Then, please, continue.

> No one here has expressed any interest in entertaining you in this endeavour.
I do not consider ignoratti lying about my behavior is “entertaining”;


"Entertain" can mean a few different things. Dictionary.com claims my meaning obsolete: "to give admittance or reception to; receive." Please re-read my sentence with this meaning in mind.

Could you please explain why others can lie about me “spamming” the board?


They are not lying, they are mistaken. Lying implies intent when none is there, it is not merely relating a falsehood. I suspect that you may argue against this definition, but you may as well argue that the sky is green.

IF you are committed to respectful exchange of information, as I am, then please post a set of rules, and enforce them honestly and fairly. That is all I ask.


We haven't needed to before, though I have clarified the "official" position in a number of threads since taking over management. I will write something up.

The most relevant thing that I feel I've not mentioned already is:
New members should keep in mind that as an unknown, their posts can only be taken at face value, as we do not know the nuances of their personality/persona. I realise that this goes both ways, but the established members, are, to be tautological, established; new members are joining us, not the other way around.

Also essential to this board and the enjoyment of its members are the humourous posts and the meandering diversions threads here usually take. Blues brought us here, but it is only the raison d'être, an excuse, if you will, to stay here, as it's the community that binds, and the enjoyment random cocking about brings.


----

And now, onto other things:

I present rational analysis and undeniable FACTS. Unsupported hollow shibboleths vs. accurate analysis.


Just because you claim something is undeniable does not make it so. Others have attempted to refute your claims made in the first post; a video was posted demonstrating some of these very techniques in action on a lap steel guitar, and it is dismissed by you as not being Delta blues and lacking soul, which is fallacious, as the video was only demonstrating that the techniques do exist in the idiom of steel guitar. If the techniques exist, then they could be applied in a different genre (Delta blues) and in a more soulful manner (I do agree the song was a bit Mickey-Mouse).

To be a tautological wise-ass: if you only post undeniable facts then there would be no posts denying, them, yes?

As for "slide" properly referring only to steel playing, perhaps at one point it did. Language evolves, much as those of a certain age of every generation despises it (and at 27, I'm already starting to).
User avatar
rustyslide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:16 pm

zhyla wrote:It is not your place demand rules be posted and enforced.


And yet, it is not an unreasonable request.
User avatar
rustyslide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby zhyla » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:39 pm

rustyslide wrote:
zhyla wrote:It is not your place demand rules be posted and enforced.


And yet, it is not an unreasonable request.


Yes, very reasonable request.
User avatar
zhyla
Site Admin
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby whirligig » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I was going to say the same thing this morning upon seeing that this was still going on, but Jakey beat me to it. Trolls are sad beings who get off on negative attention and upsetting others. They are best ignored and filtered with forum control panels by all users as soon as they start sniffing around for snacks. Usually shortly after this happening they will get bored and go elsewhere.

(yawns and goes to look at her forum settings...oh, the 'foe' thingie...cool!)

JakeyVimto wrote:This is moderately amusing, but really, how long do we continue to feed the troll?
User avatar
whirligig
Regular
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: dallas, texas

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby too2tall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 am

Here's how it would go if this discussion was going on in a bar.

" I say lets beat the crap out of him"!
"Na not worth it"
"Yea but it would really be fun"
"Na he'd just write a paper about it and we'd have to listen to that too"
"Yea I guess your right" SIGH

Sorry just trying to lighten the mood a little...
User avatar
too2tall
Regular
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby whirligig » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:05 am

Do they have nuts or popcorn at this bar? Or better yet, nachos? ;)
User avatar
whirligig
Regular
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: dallas, texas

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:06 am

Oh, no, not rules! Can't we just make it up as we go? Next thing you know somebody'll join and think it would be great to have a fee. And then some kind of qualifications for exclusiveness ! and then....
User avatar
NEONMOONY
Regular
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 10:45 pm
Location: Between the bar and the jukebox

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby Steverino » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:21 am

Folks, what we have here is what is known as a troll, and a skillful one at that as evidenced by five pages of discussion so far. It will say anything and everything to keep the argument going, as feeding on the attention and creating misery are its only reasons for being here. Continuing to argue does no good; you cannot win, rather it just feeds the beast. I see such cretins all the time on the stock discussion boards. The only technique that works at all is a total shun, which usually causes it to slither elsewhere in search of prey.
Steverino
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 am

laurieforti wrote:rustyslide wrote:What the fuck? ...

____Looks like the self-appointed censor that chided ME for accurately describing other posters' false and pejorative statements, and false unsupported accusations, against ME has personal standards flexible enough to allow rustyslide to be vulgar in public.
___Isn't this a family show? Or should everyone hide the kiddies, since there are no standards of behavior??

___What's with the double standard; didn't Mr. Hitler retire?

___Laurie


I hardly find the word "fuck" offensive. I say it sometimes. And yes, it can be vulgar. But Rusty saying "What the fuck?" is not going to offend anyone as bad as you have already offended some. I'm pretty nice on this forum, and I try and lend my knowledge and learn from others, and I think that most here would agree that I am a pretty nice, regular person here. But I'm going to get a little rude and tell you that you really should get the hell out if you can't be a decent human being. If you can't treat people here with respect, then you shouldn't be here. If I was in charge (which I am not, which may be a good thing) I would've laid down the law and banned you the moment you started insulting Steinar. You should not talk to any of us like that at all.... ever.

On a side-note, it's amazing what stirs up after being gone for a week.
User avatar
leftyguitarman
Regular
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby maxx england » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:03 am

This could have been nipped in the bud simply by pointing out the use of one name to describe an activity. Anybody got an Electrolux hoover? Bye bye little Lauri, off you go back to the ward or the "school". :mrgreen:
User avatar
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby bignick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Wow....what a read.

I've been skipping over this damn thread in search of useful material every day since it started and it still remains at the top. Sadly enough after 20 minutes of reading, I have just contributed to it. What a vicious posting cycle I have become involved in.

The hurling of insults aside, I would have a higher degree of tolerance for the original poster if they could learn how to use the QUOTE function.

I don't mind an educated debate but...fuuuuuuuuck meee, that is a lot of dashes. :)
User avatar
bignick
Regular
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby laurieforti » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:23 pm

>> My code of conduct is simple: be polite, support your claims made in public - especially when challenged. Answer all questions in detail. Support your opinions with facts and logic. This is the way civilized people debate.
>>... please post a set of rules, and enforce them honestly and fairly. That is all I ask.
> 1. This is not a debate forum, in the sense that expressing an opinion or claim without solid evidence is openly accepted.
___This statement is meaningless; obviously, “expressing an opinion” ”without solid evidence” is NOT “debate”, but mere propaganda and attempted mind control, like your last sentence.
___There is a distinct pattern revealed in your verbal output; that og chaos and lack of rationality. I have given previous examples. This is clearly another.
___This could be the “non-native speaker thing” again, whereby you actually believe that you are speaking comprehensible English, but you are not because you learned it from another non-native.
___Or worse, that this is a valid representation of the chaos inherent in your consciousness; the result of a lack of education in logic (i.e., the sciences and math) or some pathological right-brain dominance of your brain. I don’t have enough data to determine which, but you could study college-level algebra, chemistry and physics to develop some analytical thinking skills.
___What is your ‘education’?

___Other manifestations of this ongoing pathology are:
1> repeated, non-supported, and therefore, false accusations
2> repeated refusal to provide specific examples of my alleged misbehavior here
3> repeated refusal to provide specific reasons why you apparently object to some of my verbal output; i.e. substantiation of the alleged complaint
4> repeatedly allowing others here to publish false and pejorative claims about me: to wit, my alleged, but unsubstantiated, “spam”ming of the board
5> intentionally failing to admonish THEM for rule violation
6> falsely accusing me of unacceptable behavior
7> demonstrating a prejudicial bias against me; this is obvious violation of normal mores of fair behavior exhibited by civilized people
8> intentionally failing to support your claims with facts or logic
___So, it is clear who is failing to manifest socially-acceptable behavior.

>2. It is not your place demand rules be posted and enforced.
___Asking is not “demanding”; you are intentionally distorting the facts in a juvenile attempt to pump up your own ego, that is undeniable at this point. Undeniable, and pathetic!

> This is an autocracy.
___ Sieg Heil Mine Furhur! It is now obvious that no freedom of opinion exists here, but thanks for making that clear. Anyone who exhibits any level of analytical functioning is quickly stomped into the dirt. Nice guy. You seem to be suffering from the “Big Bossman” neurosis, as immortalized by Jimmy Reed.

> To date the enforcement has been merciful - that is why you're still here.
___”Merciful”?
___Repeated, unsubstantiated false accusations, vague threats, dictatorial posturing, false ”mercy”, … who do you think you are fooling? Do people usually yield to your juvenile tactics?

> I don't need to see a wordy reply to the above, it's not up for debate.
___All I have asked for is a clear presentation of the Rules, so everyone will know what standards are required. And, that The Rules be enforced uniformly. I am sure that most civilized people will agree that such openness is in everyone’s best interests.
___BUT, NOT YOU. What do you think is the advantage to you to behave like this and embarrass yourself so in public?

> Now why don't you start over and tell us about that 9-string resonator guitar you made? I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it. I'm into amateur luthiery myself. Did you retrofit an existing guitar to add the extra strings?
___That was all explained in the 9-string page: “I installed a Quarterman cone and a new biscuit-bridge, which I shortened to produce an action of 2.5-3 mm, and use ghs .009 flatwound strings.”.
A local guitar mechanic installed the banjo pegs. http://ecologos.org/9.htm
Is there some reason you believed you, or anyone, could abuse me like this, and I would not respond?
“Ignorance and arrogance pave the road to self-destruction!” – LauFo

___Laurie
laurieforti
Regular
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby Steinar Gregertsen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 pm

laurieforti wrote:___ Sieg Heil Mine Furhur!


The correct spelling is "Sieg Heil Mein Führer"..... Problem with foreign languages? :roll:

Image
User avatar
Steinar Gregertsen
Regular
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby slickcat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:28 pm

laurieforti wrote:>> My code of conduct is simple: be polite, support your claims made blah......blah........... please post a set of rules, and enforce them blah......., in the sense that expressing an opinion or claim without solid evidence is openly accepted.
___This statement ..............blah...........blah...........blah..........sentence.
___There is a distinct pattern .......blah..........___This could be the “non-native speaker thing” again, whereby you actually believe that you are speaking comprehensible English, but you are not because you learned it from another non-native.
___Or worse, ......blah..........blah.........which, but you could study college-level algebra, chemistry and physics to develop some analytical thinking skills.
___What is .........blah.........education’?

___Other manifestations ...........blah......... distorting the facts in a juvenile attempt to pump up your own ego, that is undeniable at this point. Undeniable, and pathetic!

> This is an autocracy.
___.........blah............blah.........Dumb LauFo

___Laurie


Damn....!!!! Who lifted up the rock. :shock: :P

To Quote a great Rabbit (Bug's) "What a Rube!"
User avatar
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Jackson, NJ

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby tobiepsg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:40 am

bignick wrote:I don't mind an educated debate but...fuuuuuuuuck meee, that is a lot of dashes. :)

He he! I've long stopped reading lauriforti's contributions to this thread. The replies are much more interesting and give me a good laugh - like yours!!! :D :lol: :D
tobiepsg
Regular
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron