Bottleneck vs. “slide”

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:07 am

laurieforti wrote:"No wonder people saw red."
Didn’t we just do “assume”? STOP making ASSumptions about what other people see, think, feel, or experience in any way.


I don't think he assumed anything. Everyone else who's posted in this thread thinks you're a pretentious ass. Do you know how I know that? Because I appreciate the subtle tapestries of the written word.

Sorry, that was glib and pejorative. Sort of like responding with "Lies!" in the face of statements you disagree with. I've not played lap steel more than a total of 40 minutes in my life, and yet I've performed everything you claim is a lie in your last post.


I wrote a long post rebutting your arguments before supper (including details of the mechanics of the "lies"), but after reflecting over a glass of wine, I've just deleted it. I don't care about the subject of the debate, though started differently, it could be interesting. The problem is that your tone is too harsh and vitriolic, and not at all appropriate of an open discussion; you seem more keen on winning than learning, and it would be more at home in the communities of LiveJournal.com or kuro5hin.org than here.

For what it's worth, I do applaud your efforts to inject science into the pseudo-science-filled nutritional groups (yes, I Googled you), and enjoyed reading the posts I found, but here we are arguing semantics, not biochemistry, and so things are slightly less stratified (i.e. more shades of gray).

The community at BigRoadBlues.com has grown over many years, and we're mostly a friendly bunch. We have posters representing a myriad of different age groups, nationalities, ethnicities, political and religious beliefs, and things can get heated, yet, nothing quite like this. I am all for heated discussions, but in the interests of our community, please tailor your writing style to us, rather than make us accommodate you, because, as you may have noticed, we won't.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me outside the thread (private message, email, etc).
User avatar
rustyslide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby zhyla » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 am

In addition to what our more tolerant admin Rusty just said and to make one thing really clear...

laurieforti wrote:___Perhaps this explains it: “Arendal, Norway” might explain your unfamiliarity with common English.
___Your lack of ability in Delta Blues is, indeed, impressive.
___So, you teenybopper Eurowankers
___You, sir, are a blithering fool.
___ you are a buffoon. Ever wonder why musicians have the reputation they have re: intelligence? Look in the mirror.


This is not acceptable. You will not insult other users of this forum in your posts. If you want to argue a point, fine, just do it politely.

Image
User avatar
zhyla
Site Admin
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby too2tall » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:34 am

Wow,

Take a few days off and see what you miss...LOL. Interesting debate. I think the word arrogant comes to mind and that always has a way of setting people off. Seems to me its much easier when people try to sell it as an opinion instead of a fact. I think some of what Laurie said has merit but the fact he could not debate his opinion without the arrogance put a big fat bullseye on him. :wha:
User avatar
too2tall
Regular
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby tobiepsg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:00 am

rustyslide wrote:you seem more keen on winning than learning

Exactly my thoughts. How do you discuss the difference / similarities between two objects / subjects with someone who seems to know a bit about the one and absolutely nothing about the other - and he's not willing to learn either? :wha: What a waste of cyberspace... :?
tobiepsg
Regular
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am

I can't understand why this thread has gone on for so long. This person is clearly a wind-up merchant, a plonker puller of the first order, delighting in getting folks riled.

Leave them to their own pedantic disruptive universe.
User avatar
grumpygroo
Regular
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:07 pm
Location: Scarborough NY

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby laurieforti » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:14 pm

rustyslide wrote:What the fuck? ...

____Looks like the self-appointed censor that chided ME for accurately describing other posters' false and pejorative statements, and false unsupported accusations, against ME has personal standards flexible enough to allow rustyslide to be vulgar in public.
___Isn't this a family show? Or should everyone hide the kiddies, since there are no standards of behavior??

___What's with the double standard; didn't Mr. Hitler retire?

___Laurie
laurieforti
Regular
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 pm

This is moderately amusing, but really, how long do we continue to feed the troll?
User avatar
JakeyVimto
Regular
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm

JakeyVimto wrote: how long do we continue to feed the troll?


I like your words, Jakey
User avatar
grumpygroo
Regular
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:07 pm
Location: Scarborough NY

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm

laurieforti wrote:
rustyslide wrote:What the fuck?

Looks like the self-appointed censor that chided ME for accurately describing other posters' false and pejorative statements, and false unsupported accusations, against ME has personal standards flexible enough to allow rustyslide to be vulgar in public.


Since you misunderstood (or are being obtuse), my complaint wasn't that your writing was vulgar, as there is nothing offensive about the words you use (not that I care if this board is particularly "Family-friendly" or not, anyway). Instead, my complaint was about how you used the words; language is a tool, the expression the words make is vastly more important than which words are used in that expression.

Your writing is combative; you label statements you disagree with "Lies!" and assumptions about your intent "false unsupported accusations"; you found insult when none was intended (though that has clearly changed): It's like you were just looking for a fight, and then vociferously decry people who violate your unknown code of conduct. No one here has expressed any interest in entertaining you in this endeavour.

Is that clearer?

Also, I'm not censoring you - you've not been banned, have you? I merely asked that the tone of the debate change.

What's with the double standard; didn't Mr. Hitler retire?


Nothing helps an argument like an allusion to Hitler or the Nazis. Good to see that Goodwin's Law still holds.
User avatar
rustyslide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby laurieforti » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:32 pm

"rustyslide" What the fuck?
L> Looks like the self-appointed censor that chided ME for accurately describing other posters' false and pejorative statements, and false unsupported accusations, against ME has personal standards flexible enough to allow rustyslide to be vulgar in public.

> Since you misunderstood (or are being obtuse), …
Is there any way you could just STOP the personal insults and slurs? You might engender some respect if you behaved in a respectful manner; try it.

>… my complaint wasn't that your writing was vulgar, …
MY complaint against YOU is that you ARE vulgar, and that is not a reasonable way to providing administrative “services” for the masses.

> … Instead, my complaint was about how you used the words; language is a tool, the expression the words make is vastly more important than which words are used in that expression.
And how does the false, accusatory statements posted about ME qualify as acceptable? Are you familiar with the expression “Double Standard”? How does it apply, here?

> Your writing is combative; …
No, it is not. Unlike the other self-made experts on Delta Blues, which it is clear that the masses have no familiarity with, I present rational analysis and undeniable FACTS. Unsupported hollow shibboleths vs. accurate analysis. Strange value system, or lack of it.

> … you label statements you disagree with "Lies!" …
No, I do not. I respond to polite posts politely, but there is no reason I should be idle when people are issuing false, hateful statements against me (spam, etc.), so I will call them asking for substantiation. But do they respond politely?

> … "false unsupported accusations"; you found insult when none was intended …
Are you really claiming that falsely accusing me of spamming the board repeatedly is NOT a FALSE ACCUSATION? Must be that non-native speaker thing again?<g>

> It's like you were just looking for a fight, and then vociferously decry people who violate your unknown code of conduct.
My code of conduct is simple: be polite, support your claims made in public - especially when challenged. Answer all questions in detail. Support your opinions with facts and logic. This is the way civilized people debate.

> No one here has expressed any interest in entertaining you in this endeavour.
I do not consider ignoratti lying about my behavior is “entertaining”; it merely reveals the lack of spiritual development of the people doing the abusive behavior.

> Is that clearer?
No. Could you please explain why others can lie about me “spamming” the board? Why are there different sets of ‘rules’?

> Also, I'm not censoring you - you've not been banned, have you? I merely asked that the tone of the debate change.
You will please note that I have been quite polite to those who have honored me with minimal respect, please pay attention and support your claims with specific examples.
IF you are committed to respectful exchange of information, as I am, then please post a set of rules, and enforce them honestly and fairly. That is all I ask.

Laurie
laurieforti
Regular
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I have been away from the board for a while (hello folks!), and this is quite an interesting thread to open first. :)

This reminds me of the same old tired "who's the best guitar player" thread. Hell, if you're creative enough, you can do about anything you want within any style or technique you choose.

Forget what/who's best and just play.
User avatar
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby slickcat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 pm

bluesmcgoo wrote:I have been away from the board for a while (hello folks!), and this is quite an interesting thread to open first. :)

This reminds me of the same old tired "who's the best guitar player" thread. Hell, if you're creative enough, you can do about anything you want within any style or technique you choose.

Forget what/who's best and just play.

+1 bluesmcgoo Word! 8)
User avatar
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Jackson, NJ

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby zhyla » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:26 pm

laurieforti wrote: My code of conduct is simple: be polite, support your claims made in public - especially when challenged. Answer all questions in detail. Support your opinions with facts and logic. This is the way civilized people debate.
... please post a set of rules, and enforce them honestly and fairly. That is all I ask.


1. This is not a debate forum, in the sense that expressing an opinion or claim without solid evidence is openly accepted. Debate elsewhere.
2. It is not your place demand rules be posted and enforced. This is an autocracy. To date the enforcement has been merciful - that is why you're still here.

I don't need to see a wordy reply to the above, it's not up for debate.

Now why don't you start over and tell us about that 9-string resonator guitar you made? I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it. I'm into amateur luthiery myself. Did you retrofit an existing guitar to add the extra strings?
User avatar
zhyla
Site Admin
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby Steinar Gregertsen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Oh never mind........... bad joke day.........
Last edited by Steinar Gregertsen on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Steinar Gregertsen
Regular
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Bottleneck vs. “slide”

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Look out Steinar, I've seen him post here in the past.

I'd hate for anything to get "conjured up".
User avatar
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests