tips n tricks

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: tips n tricks

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 am

Grumpy, how you fixed for Swanage? And Diamond, there's a ready market place for you if there ever was one.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamond » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 am

Ow doo aer kid :wink: .....see - i'm hooked! October might be a go-er, i'll check out the diary to see if the dates clash with already-booked shows - i DO like Swanage though!

Happy slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com 8)
diamond
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 am

Oll av ter get a Big Rowad flag med an stick it in a bockle at the owpen moyic then :mrgreen:

An thier's a jam at the Tower uv Sung on Thaersday if yo'm up fer it?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamond » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 am

.....Brilliant - i wonder how many others could've read that in one go :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

Happy slidin'

Big D.

diamond
Regular

Postby fabulous furry freak » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:00 pm

What the eck ye talkin bout? nout ye sayin make 'ny sense <- accent of a somerset farmer who's drunk nothing but scrumpy his whole life

I just made an awesome slide using a steel-wheel glass cutter (£2.50), and a blue bottle (Harveys Bristol Cream), sounds really nice. You only properly appreciate a good slide when you've been plastic lighters etc for a while

I used the score, heat scoreline with a candle, dunk in cold water technique. It required a light tap on the side of the bucket, but came off really nicely, even though the glass was quite thick and uneven
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 pm

I read it in one go. I just didn't comprehend it. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:35 pm

's aysy, yo just as ter understond the ruels consairnin vowel shifft; sum on yo Merrykins still spakes with wairds just loike yo'd 'ear in Atherstone, an sum on yer as towtally moigrated ter the poyent waer yo'm just as ord fer us ter understond as we'm ter yo.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm

When's the Swanage do, Maxx. I seem to have missed the anouncement. God bless Jasper Carrot :wha:

Harvey's Bristol Cream bottles (tre blue ones) are wonderful for making slides with. Just a pity you have the buy the stuff that goes inside them, and then persuade some mug to drink it. Or is it a fashionable tipple in Zumerzet? :blink:

We's vee only ones wot tawk proppah loike. Bein a Lunduner I'll adopt a typically superior and patronising attitude to strange accents. Although, I gather, before the Great Vowel Shift we Londoners used to speak with accents like they do now in Doodlay.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby fabulous furry freak » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:43 am

the Swanage fest is on the 3rd, 4th and 5th. http://www.bluesroots.org/

That bottle was just a lucky find, it stood out as a potential slide pretty much as soon as i started sliding, it sounds beautiful. my mum saw another bottle just like it in the recycling truck 5 mins after i made the slide, but she didn't ask for it coz the recycling man is an angry bald guy with a tattoo on his head. I guess I'll always be on the lookout for interesting bottles from now on, i'd like to find a good red bottle, I haven't seen any references on the sound of red glass, so it'd be a good experiment.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:43 am

October 3rd-5th sounds very possible. I'll check that I have a window :roll: Used to go camping with scouts in the general area of Swanage and Corfe, I can still do blindin version of Ging Gang Gooley on the Jews Harp. :wha:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:32 pm

fabulous furry freak wrote:i'd like to find a good red bottle, I haven't seen any references on the sound of red glass, so it'd be a good experiment.

I haven't seen any in the grocery store. My wife has a decorative bottle that's red but it's the wrong size (and, uh, for decoration). My guess is it would sound the same as brown, but who knows.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby fabulous furry freak » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:27 pm

I've got my eyes on a small, expensive bottle of red wine, which would work really well as a pinky slide, but its so expensive I'll have to wait until its someones birthday or something, and ask for the bottle once they've finished it.
I really want to learn to pinky slide so I can switch between playing normally and sliding, the problem at the moment is that I haven't found any slides that work well for it.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:23 pm

ricochet
Regular

Postby diamond » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Doodlay's a bostin plearse - i lived theeyar for five year aer kid :mrgreen:

Don't be fooled by red glass bottles! A guy bought a bunch of red bottles into our workshop a few years back - and when we chopped 'em up to make 'necks they turned out to be clear, uncolored glass with a red film heat-shrunk onto the outside :wha:

Red decorative bottles (vintage perfume bottles etc) can be found in antique stores and marketplaces - if anyone finds one that'd work for a slide i'd love to know about it :wink: .

Slide On!

Ian.

diamond
Regular

Re: tips n tricks making slides

Postby bottleneckslide » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Hey Freewheelin Franklin,

Heres how I make my slides out of bottles. http://stores.ebay.com/Bottleneck-Guita ... Slide.html .

By the way excellent slide work for a beginner. Real nice muting. As stated a little more vibrato will definitley add some color. Slide On!.
bottleneckslide
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar