Who likes Republics?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Who likes Republics?

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:30 am

Well it looks like no new Republic for Lefty. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I asked my mom if she had any idea how long it took for the tax returns to come back, and her response was "I just gave our tax stuff to my bookkeeper today."

So now it will be what, two months at best, before I get my check. Wonderful. If I would've known she waited so damn long, I would've had my Spanish teacher do my taxes since she does it outside of school as an extra job. :x
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:38 am

Hang in there, my granny always said that the best part of having something nice was the wait.

I'll tell ya what it's like, though. When my Republic arrived, I stood the box in the middle of the living room and just stared at the box, knowing that life as I knew it was going to change. As I peeled back the cardboard, the case appeared to me like the monolith in 2001. I swear I heard angels (or maybe hellhounds). Then I opened the case and was blinded by the light. That's the last thing I remember until..................................I'm going to play it right now........bye.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby whirligig » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Considering this and what lefty said also, I will happily leave well enough alone then. I really like the way mine sounds, just wondered if anyone with more experience (which is all of you guys!) had any opinions...especially since resonator players seem prone to tinkering from what I've read so far :) thanks!

Rick-e wrote:All I can say is my recic tricone sounded really good as it came from Frank. I don't see myself making any changes.
whirligig
Regular

Postby heckergt » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 am

I have the engraved tri-cone. I love it! I did a national cone swap on my gibson dobro and it made a huge difference. I didnt really care for the cone that came with it. As far as my republic goes, I wouldnt change a thing on it. I love the way it sounds. Id hate to drop the bucks on national cones and find out that I dont like them as much. I know my guitar sounds great now so I aint changing a thing!
heckergt
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Yup, I wouldn't either. When I first wanted a resonator, I went to a store than sold Brand X - you know, somewhere between a Rogue and a National - I tried the Brand X biscuit style and my friend wrinkled his nose at the overall lack of volume and wimpy tone. I was SO dissapointed because I wanted the metal body. Anyway, I settled for a wood spider-bridge Hohner which was twice as loud. I played that for a year til I found out about Republics. Just today I was comparing my Hohner and my Republic. Wow. The Hohner ate Brand X and the Republic ate them both in one bite!!
Old Stella
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Over on the IGS board there's a thread on "Guess which is the National cone?" Well, it's come out which one's which, and I like the sound of the original cheapo cone better.
ricochet
Regular

Postby heckergt » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:31 pm

ricochet wrote:Over on the IGS board there's a thread on "Guess which is the National cone?" Well, it's come out which one's which, and I like the sound of the original cheapo cone better.

Im trying to find that thread. No luck so far. Can you help me out with a link or something? Thank you. Im very curious to hear the comparison.
heckergt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 pm

ricochet
Regular

Postby heckergt » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

I agree, I liked the sound of the older cone better. It seemed more authentic blues like to me.
heckergt
Regular

Postby bek1 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:47 am

I talked to Frank Friday and couldn't order the Reso-Relic Tricone because he didn't get any in his latest shipment. DANG! The plastic was in my hand.... He said it would be about two months until the next bunch. I considered the antique bronze one, but can't make up my mind to do that. The relic would go so well with my 1930s Regal dobro. Silly, I know.
bek1
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 am

Those Reso-Relic Tricones are way cool IMO. You should put up a picture of your Regal. I'd like to see it.

One day I'll own a left handed Tricone. Just not any day soon. But hopefully I can get a Republic sometime soon.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:07 pm

I just got my new Republic 12 fret duolian with the palm trees sandblasted into the finish. It was a replacement for my Johnson which hit the floor and the headstock snapped off. You might say I circumcised my Johnson. Any way The Republic is an excellent instrument. The fit, finish and setup were perfect. Excellent price for what you get. The sound was very good also. I put the "NATIONAL" cone I was using in the Johnson into the Republic. Both cones sound very good. I prefer the National a little better. It is not quite as bright as the original Republic cone and a little fatter sounding. Like I said I liked the original cone and would have been happy with it if I didn't have the National cone to use. Don't think I would have spent the money for a new cone for the Republic. Great instrument! I would not hesitate buying another or recommending it to my friends.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby whirligig » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Congratulations! That is a really nice one, when I went to pick mine, it was between the tricone and this model..might be the one you've actually got, and it was a hard choice. If I could've talked my husband into it I would've bought both -- he actually liked the one you have a bit better, I was just set on a tricone :) Hope you have fun with it!

you guys are rough on your Johnsons here! (ducks)

deltablues57 wrote:I just got my new Republic 12 fret duolian with the palm trees sandblasted into the finish. It was a replacement for my Johnson which hit the floor and the headstock snapped off. You might say I circumcised my Johnson. Any way The Republic is an excellent instrument. The fit, finish and setup were perfect. Excellent price for what you get. The sound was very good also. I put the "NATIONAL" cone I was using in the Johnson into the Republic. Both cones sound very good. I prefer the National a little better. It is not quite as bright as the original Republic cone and a little fatter sounding. Like I said I liked the original cone and would have been happy with it if I didn't have the National cone to use. Don't think I would have spent the money for a new cone for the Republic. Great instrument! I would not hesitate buying another or recommending it to my friends.
whirligig
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:35 pm

deltablues57 wrote:You might say I circumcised my Johnson.

Ow! Usually you try not to take the head off.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:53 pm

My Republic "Reso Relic"
Frank sure did a great job on the look and feel. Of course, those things are secondary to the great sound. I've played this an hour or two a day since December and a couple gigs. It barks!!

rr1.jpg
rr2.jpg
rr3.jpg
Old Stella
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar