Who likes Republics?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Who likes Republics?

Postby Ransome » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:47 pm

I've posted these before, but here are my two Republics

Relic

Gun Metal

and a couple of sound sources

8 Ball Blues Recorded with the Blue Microphone 8 Ball
Down Home Fun
New Blues Republic

You can say that I dig my Republics... Frank is a total stand up guy, too!

Ran$ome
Ransome
Regular

Postby Ozzie Blues » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey Ransome, You gotta couple of Really nice specimens there mate :wink: Tell me, is
there anything your not quite happy about, with your Republics, and thinking of modifying, such as tuners :?:
Ozzie Blues
Regular

Postby Hooked on Resophonics » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:31 pm

& here are the rest of Ozzies!

Hooked on Resophonics
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 pm

All very pretty!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Dave_CO » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 pm

Add me to the list. Just received my Republic 14 fret "Duolian" today and so far so good. Frank has some steel body blem Duolian's listed on eBay for $349 so I figured I'd take a chance. It was what I expected a big, heavy, raunchy sounding implement of the blues. Not the most attractive guitar, I knew that going in buying a painted steel body, but it sounds gnarly. Pulled it out of the case and tuned it up and it was good to go. I may buy another Republic, I dang near bought the Relic O at the same time but figured I check out the cheapy first. However this should keep me busy for a while so I'm going to wait. Haven't played any bottleneck yet, the closest thing to a slide I found at work was a magic marker, but I did bust out some Canned Heat Blues for the office staff. They looked at me like I was from Mars.

Dave_CO
Regular

Postby whirligig » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Here's mine, RG-T1 'reso relic' tricone. Frank lives 20 minutes from me so I went to meet him and pick this up about a month ago. I must add to the other comments already stated here that he is a very nice guy, cares very much about his business and customers, and is willing to help in any way he can. He patiently demoed many of his guitars for me since I'm a newbie and helped me pick from several tricones he had once I'd decided that was what I wanted. Came with a nice case, too, and a couple of slides he let me pick out of a huge box he had.

I know absolutely nothing except what sounds good, and I've never played a National, but for the money I think Frank's stuff is excellent. I put Martin reso strings on it and got a slide made from Diamond Bottlenecks (they are awesome too!) and it's very playable and sounds pretty darn good to me. Maybe for Christmas I'll ask for a set of National cones and Frank said he'd put them in for me, but for now it's great :wink:

Attaching an inline image...please tell me if that is not ok here or feel free to delete it and I can add a URL.

guitarbanjo.jpg
guitarbanjo.jpg (98.63 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
whirligig
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey all,
I got my Reso relic tricone as a b'day present from my wife, she's a keeper (my wife that is) the reso is a keeper too. I spent some time dressing and polishing the frets, but the sound and playability is excelent. It will growl, cry, sing and it rings like a bell too. Great tone and sustain. I just can't seem to put it down.
Rick-e
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:16 pm

whirligig wrote:Here's mine, RG-T1 'reso relic' tricone.

Attaching an inline image...please tell me if that is not ok here or feel free to delete it and I can add a URL.

Beautiful guitar, and images are fine. I think you're likely the first to use the built-in attachment function, actually.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:00 am

I have the Miniolian model, and I love it.. :D
Wonderful little guitar with great sustain and tone!!
Listen to it tuned in open A here, first time I use this tuning, normally I'm in open G but it worked really well with this tuning..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3S2usf2ls

Frank at Republic told me that there is a metal body parlor sized Miniolian to be released in May!!
Could be really cool!!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:14 am

bottleneckjohn wrote:Frank at Republic told me that there is a metal body parlor sized Miniolian to be released in May!!
Could be really cool!!

I watched your video of Amazing Grace on Youtube (which was great btw!) and saw Frank's comment there about those.

I'm waiting on my Tax Return. As soon as that check rolls in, I'll be in contact with Frank to get a 14-fret Style-0 model. I talked to him today on the phone, and he told me that there will be 14 fret models in stock in about 2 weeks. I already own six guitars, and I don't really need a seventh, but you guys all talk about how great the Republics are, and I love the look of those Style-0 ones with the palm trees. I might be gettin one soon I hope!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Another sound sample here, the Miniolian wood body..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaVxR2awVo

Nice little guitar!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby bek1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 am

I just talked to my wife today, considering Frank's blem tricone offered on ebay. Showed her the Republic site and she said the Reso-Relic looked so good I should just do it. I called Frank and he said he'll get a new shipment next week and he can probably ship after next Friday. He said he's going to be getting Miniolians in metal in a few months and some time after that maybe a cutaway metal-bodied miniolian. Dang, I REALLY want a cutaway Tricone. Probably going to just get the ResoRelic Tricone anyway, as who knows what will happen when. I wonder about National cones, though. They're not that expensive, and maybe I should have Frank do it for me. Don't mind doing it myself, but maybe I should talk to Frank in the meantime.
bek1
Regular

Postby whirligig » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 pm

bek1, I really like my resorelic tricone (obviously, see pic above in this thread). I don't know much but I can't put it down :)

I am curious too, though, about putting National cones in. They all come with Continental cones. Has anyone here w/a Republic tried this? I would be very interested in knowing, since I am such a newbie, what the opinion of someone with experience would be as to improvement of sound, sustain, etc. vs. the default Continentals. Any opinions just generally on National vs Continental cones?

Frank did tell me he'd be happy to put National cones in if I wanted to, at some point. I suppose we should ask Frank if he's done it already to his guitars and what he thought of the results? Has anyone asked him already?
whirligig
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 pm

I have a cousin who has been working on guitars for 20+ years, and he recommended to me that if I were to change out the cone in my Epi resonator, to go with Continental instead of a National. He said he prefers Continental cones, but of course it's all personal preference.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 am

whirligig wrote:bek1, I really like my resorelic tricone (obviously, see pic above in this thread). I don't know much but I can't put it down :)

I am curious too, though, about putting National cones in. They all come with Continental cones. Has anyone here w/a Republic tried this? I would be very interested in knowing, since I am such a newbie, what the opinion of someone with experience would be as to improvement of sound, sustain, etc. vs. the default Continentals. Any opinions just generally on National vs Continental cones?

Frank did tell me he'd be happy to put National cones in if I wanted to, at some point. I suppose we should ask Frank if he's done it already to his guitars and what he thought of the results? Has anyone asked him already?

All I can say is my reso relic tricone sounded really good as it came from Frank. I don't see myself making any changes.
Last edited by Rick-e on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick-e
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar