Ebay idiots!!!!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Ebay idiots!!!!

Postby howlnwoof » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Been looking at those Oscar Schmidt OE 30s on ebay . Buddy of mine sent me a link to a Washburn dealer from Missouri selling seconds and blems starting at $49.99 with a $27 shipping and insurance cost . Now , I can get a brand new one and pay no shipping from Musicians friend for something like $129 . The last two I was watching went for over $100 !!!! What the hell is wrong with these guys ? Are they the ones who treat bidding as a competition ?? Don't they do their homework before buying stuff ? IDIOTS .......
howlnwoof
Regular

RE: Ebay idiots!!!!

Postby rustyslide » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-06 AT 01:32 AM (EST)]
I was going to bid on that one too, but I'm glad I didn't bother when I woke up the next morning and saw it for over $100 US...
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Something to remember on eBay: When you "win" an auction, you just paid more than anyone else in the worldwide online auction market thought it was worth.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:34 pm

I've seen auction fever at a bike club fund raiser, after the beer had been flowing, but e-bay? Some poor sad twisted people out there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:54 pm

Guess some people just don't know what stuff is worth. I saw someone in England trying to sell a BC Rich Body Art Mockingbird like mine for the equivillant of $400 US dollars on EBay. At least thats what the bid was up to. I paid $176 from musicians friend, free shipping and all. Origionally this thing only went for $299. Not much of a deal across the pond there huh?
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:13 am

Once in a while you do stumble into a good deal. A few days ago I put in some lowball bids on some of the odd tube types used in my old Hammond organ. I expected they'd all be outbid. One was. One, I'm still the high bidder on, but my maximum bid on it hasn't met the reserve. Another's still pending, with my bid in the lead at a very good price. I was very surprised to get a notice a few minutes ago that I'd won one on ten used, untested, as-is 7199s. I'd bid $10.50, which is less than half of what a used, good-testing 7199 commonly goes for on eBay lately. (And a single new Sovtek one tends to go for around $12.50 plus shipping.) The seller is Steve of Angela Instruments, who's certainly capable of testing tubes, which raises the possibility that he's dumping bad tubes as "untested, as-is," but as far as I know he's been a straight shooter in the past. The shipping's a rather high flat $10, but $20.50 shipped is still a good price for 10 of these, some or all of which may be serviceable. If only one works, I'm not really out anything. The way I'll test 'em is to plug 'em into the Hammond and see how it plays.

ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:02 pm

I buy a lot of Sports stuff on Ebay.
Trading cards,New Jerseys,etc.

I get some really great deals.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am

Well, the last of the tube auctions I'd bid on has just closed. It was for a new production JJ tube, and it sold for more than I could buy it for from an online dealer.

When it went past my bid (about half of what it finally sold for) earlier today, I got a message from eBay urging me to bid on it again before it got away. I didn't.

ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar