Yet another Amp Question...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Yet another Amp Question...

Postby bluejay » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:53 pm

On New Year's Eve, I was at a small club with a band whose guitarist was playing through a 15w Pro Jr. and he had no problem being heard over drums, keyboards, bass and a crowd dancing right in front of the band. The amp wasn't mic'ed, either. Now this band wasn't trying to blast everyone away with their mix of blues, soul, and funk, but they weren't quiet either.
bluejay
Regular

Postby muggs » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-06 AT 01:38 PM (EST)]Thanks Everyone!

I am going to be in a rather small room....Bedroom or basement.

Mostly just to jam with my brother and father. I think the Blues Junior may be perfect for what I want to do. This will give me a good practice amp and be adequate to hold with other musicians. Also, it it cheap so if I find I need to bump up to 30watts I have not already drained my wallet.

2 Questions..

1. I checked the local guitar shops and they dont have a Blues Junior for me to test drive. How is the distortion? We play Texas Style Blues and I really dont want to buy a pedal unless I totally have to.
(also no footswitch is included I may have to hunt one down)

2. The 65 Deluxe Reverb(22 Watts)...2 channels clean and vibrato...where is the distortion? I am pretty new to the electric side of guitar so I am not sure if that amp will naturally distort at a certain volume or if I will always need a tube screamer or similar pedal to get the distortion??

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Rock on
Muggs
muggs
Regular

Postby bluejay » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:30 pm

On the Blues Jr. and the Pro Jr. you'll have to crank them to get them to break up. Best bet is an OD pedal, which means trying several to find the one that will give you the level of grit that you want when playing at lower volumes. Grady swears by the Maxon OD808 (which is the original circuitry of the Ibanez Tube Screamer) with his Pro Jr. I have a DOD Mystic Blues (it was inexpensive)that puts an edge on without overdoing things, and I just picked up the new Danelectro OD pedal for $15 at a Guitar Center, so we'll see what that does. Now the Pro Jr. would seem to be just the Blues Jr. without the reverb, but when I A/B'd them in a shop, the simpler Pro Jr. seemed to have better tone. The reverb on the Blues Jr. can be problematical, and a good reverb pedal will likely get better results. My el cheapo Dano reverb pedal does a pretty good job and if it craps out, as a couple folks cautioned me about the Blues Jr. reverb, I just get a new pedal. Both Jrs. are 15 watts, just a smaller speaker in the Pro, which may be connected to that tone preference I have for it.
bluejay
Regular

Postby skibumdog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:51 am

I know Grady hates 'em, but I really like my Blues Jr
I don't play professionally, and use it as a practice amp and to jam with friends; easy to carry in and out of the car. Around here, people are replacing the Fender stock speaker with Emminence red or blue.
When the tubes quit, I may try different tubes but still have a lot to learn about that
skibumdog
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:41 am

>Thanks Everyone!
>
>I am going to be in a rather small room....Bedroom or
>basement.
>
>Mostly just to jam with my brother and father. I think the
>Blues Junior may be perfect for what I want to do. This will
>give me a good practice amp and be adequate to hold with
>other musicians. Also, it it cheap so if I find I need to
>bump up to 30watts I have not already drained my wallet.
>
>2 Questions..
>
>1. I checked the local guitar shops and they dont have a
>Blues Junior for me to test drive. How is the distortion? We
>play Texas Style Blues and I really dont want to buy a pedal
>unless I totally have to.
>(also no footswitch is included I may have to hunt one down)
>
>2. The 65 Deluxe Reverb(22 Watts)...2 channels clean and
>vibrato...where is the distortion? I am pretty new to the
>electric side of guitar so I am not sure if that amp will
>naturally distort at a certain volume or if I will always
>need a tube screamer or similar pedal to get the
>distortion??
>
>
>Thanks again to everyone who replied!
>
>Rock on
>Muggs

Muggs,

the Deluxe Reverb doesn't have distortion, only "natural" overdrive if you turn up loud enough, so you will need a pedal for this one. The two channels are in fact "clean", one "dry", the other with reverb.

If you want more power than the Blues Junior with a decent overdrive channel, you might want to check out the Hotrod Deluxe: 40 watt, Clean, Drive and More Drive channels which can be chosen from a footswitch.

I am looking for a Deluxe Reverb since I want to do the following:

gtr --> [Ibanez compressor]--> Vox wah--> clean input 1 - for the "direct" guitar sound, then connect clean input 2 to my pedal board consisting of [T-rex Dr Swamp] --> [Ibanez delay] --> [VisualSound H²O] --> vibrato channel input 1

this way I can get the sound of the guitar signal directly hitting the preamp, preserving the initial attack AND the "processed" signal, which always has less initial attack without having to split signals to two amps (which I do now: clean into a Roland JC-50 then out from the second 'input' to the pedals into a Laney LC15)
jaybee
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:27 pm

MUGGS, I do at lot of travelin, I wanted an amp to carry with me for practise sessions, I picked up the Marshall MG30 solid back, at first I liked the headphone feature,and the rca plug in for cd player, footswitchable! great overdrive! and several desent sound effects But it blew me away with the Marshall sound I love!!And I have played several small gigs with it and I know of several guitarist that ran out and got one the next day after hearing mine!I have bought another one so I can run my Sterieo guitar thu em, 229.usd at musicians friend
601blues
Regular

cant go wrong with deluxe reverb....

Postby eddiewagner » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:18 pm

.... old or new. great sounding little amps. dont buy a blues jr./pro junior. they souznd okay, but are really plasic amps on the inside. i had both, sold both because of "cheapo vibe"....
now i got a used fender "30" and i am happy with that. if you cant find something good used, go for a new deluxe reverb.
all the best
eddie
eddiewagner
Regular

RE: cant go wrong with deluxe reverb....

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 pm

>they souznd okay, but are really plasic amps on the inside.

True of most amps these days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby timo_d » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:11 pm

I own a Fender Twin Reverb, and can tell you that they never distort...it's clean all the way. But that's where an effects pedal comes in. I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer and also have a Fulltone OCD, which provides a darker, more distorted sound than the tube screamer.
The twin is lOUD, so if you play at home, you'll never be able to crank it up.
The other two amps are also great, cheaper and lighter too. My twin weights about 70 lbs. Mine's from the 70s and the new re-issues might be a bit lighter, but probably not much.
timo_d
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:33 pm

I don't think they're lighter. They're tanks.

ricochet
Regular

Postby muggs » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:05 am

First, Thanks to everyone for your responses. I really love this site and the community here is the best!

I went with the Fender Blues Jr. w/Reberb. It was fairly cheap and pretty well respected. I will upgrade, if I find that I need to, later on since I have not emptied my account on this amp.

The Blues Jr., so far, has been nothing but stellar. I have not really needed any pedals as of yet. It is perfect for practice and really has great tone when cranked. When playing with my family, I can run it at 9 and it sounds sooo much better than anyone elses amp since they all have 40+ watt amps and can't crank them and get that tone...ya know what tone I am talkin' about ;p . I am very pleased with it.

Muggs
muggs
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:58 am

Damn right. A cranked Blues Junior sounds really nice.

And thank God, because from my experience, it doesn't take pedals well. The only pedal that sounded good with it to my ears was SIB Varidrive. But... With the SIB the whole thing just starts to rattle after playing a while.

But as you said, if you can crank it... You don't need a pedal, the overdrive on the amp is really nice.

Good luck with yer Junior!
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:02 pm

I really like Billy Crawford's setup. He plays through two Blues Junior. Never has the master volumes past 3. He has a Tube Screamer, a Crybaby, and an A/B/Y pedal. I think that's it. Sounds terrific!
ricochet
Regular

Postby michaelc » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:07 am

if you get a F. twin you can take out 2 of the tubes [4-6L6`s],and cut your power in half.so then you can crank it up and have it scream at lower volume.to do this,leave in tube`s 1 and 4,take out 2 and 3.when you need more power,just put the other two tubes in.i`ve been using just two tubes for years and the tone is hot.a friend of mine who`s a amp mechanic turned me on to this and it wont hurt the amp. hey! it don`t matter what amp you get just be sure you test it to the limit.have fun.....
michaelc
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:19 am

Taking out the tubes to halve the power makes a barely noticeable change in the maximum volume. What it does is to make the effective impedance half of standard. Amps with beam power and pentode output tubes don't change their output power a whole lot as the impedance changes, but the amount of distortion and the distribution of different harmonics changes a whole bunch. So you get more distortion at lower volume. Pretty much the same effect as if you left the tubes in and used a 4 ohm speaker in the 8 ohm jack. Doubling the impedance will also increase the distortion. The "normal" impedance is chosen to be pretty close to the minimum distortion level, usually.

ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar