Reverse Staggered Poles

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Reverse Staggered Poles

Postby savage » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:06 pm

I was wonderin if anyone here has used a reverse staggered pickup on a strat, and what the difference is in sound? I don't really know anything about staggered poles or reverse wound pickups except that a reverse wound middle pickup effects the 2 and 4 positions on the tone selector. If someone would be so kind as to enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate it:)

I was thinking of buying a set of alnico strat boutique pickups for my squire... ("won't that boy just sit still?") The factory pickups on my squire really dont handle the B and high E strings to my liking. I've been playin higher up the neck lately (haha, in order to give the frets a break in the lower regions). The set of pickups that I want are only $60 on ebay.
savage
Regular

RE: Reverse Staggered Poles

Postby lightninboy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:35 am

Hi Savage,
I had one made by Chris Kinman.
The staggered pole pieces are standard on most strats, except from 1973 to 1979.
They just balance out the volume of each string.
Old strats had reverse polarity wound p/ups, with formvar wire, which is what I had made.
It really doesn't make a lot of difference other than that "out of phase" quack, like you said, with one in the middle.
I had mine in the middle, then changed it to the neck, and now its in the cupboard!
(I change p/up's around a lot).
If you buy them, check that they have Formvar wire.
They should sound great in your Squier!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:59 am

I believe that a reverse stagger on a pickup would be like putting staggered pickups for a lefty-guitar in your right-handed model - ie, if you think it makes a difference and you want to sound more like Jimi Hendrix.

Also, not all strats have a RWRP pickup in the middle. My new strat has [em]Custom Shop '54s[/em], and the middle is the same as the neck pickup.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby savage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:46 pm

thanks guys. I think I'm gonna purchase a set next paycheck. I usually don't mess with guitars unless theyre broken, but I can afford this kind of change. (hopefully I wont screw up on the installation)
savage
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:34 pm

There's a Polish club next to my mate JC's place, we've seen plenty of them staggering in reverse.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:39 am

yesterday some dude who worked at the music store caught me tryin to play a left-handed guitar to hear the pickups. Its a lot harder than it sounds. He kinda just looked at me, then asked "havin fun?".
savage
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Andy,
a reverse wound p/up has nothing to do with the staggered pole piece's.
The wire has been wound in reverse, giving a reverse polarity.
I think Rusty has the wrong idea of your inital question, and may of confused you.
A p/up for a left handed guitar will just have the pole pieces staggered in reverse, which won't help anything in your case,and I'd advise against it.(It will unbalance the volume of your strings).
Please excuse me if you already know this, and your just joking.
I'm only trying to help.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:28 pm

He asked both about reverse wound and reverse staggered, and I answered about the latter.

I'm quite sure it would be an unbalanced sound, but I have heard of people doing it in an effort to sound more like Jimi Hendrix (or so they claim).

I wouldn't do it either, but I try to pretend to be non-judgemental sometimes.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby savage » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:58 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-06 AT 11:01 PM (EST)]yeah, I did ask both questions, and yeah, I only wanted to know the effects they would have on the sound of a guitar. I am however still plannin on gettin some alnico boutique PUs later on down the road when I got time to install em. And yeah, I think I threw you guys off when I said I was screwin around with a left-handed guitar. I wasnt doin any serious research, haha, just MESSIN around. I'm not lookin to sound like anybody (even though I am a big Hendrix fan). I just wanted to know what the deal was with reverse wound magnets and reverse staggered PU's. Thanks again for your help guys!
savage
Regular

Return to Guitar