Pickups for me Les Paul

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Pickups for me Les Paul

Postby muggs » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Hello,

I was considering changing the pickups on my 2001 Les Paul Studio. I am not really sure though. I want a creamier tone than the stock pickups are yielding. However, I dont want to lose any bite. I already have a Strat with Texas Specials so I kinda of wanted to setup my Les Paul to be a "Cream Dream" in terms of sound. Should I leave the factory pickups in it and turn to my amp to get that tone or should I install new pickups? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
muggs
Regular

RE: Pickups for me Les Paul

Postby trguitar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm

I like my stock pickups on my Studio just fine. I'd try some knob twisting first. They are good pickups.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ofcluke534 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:44 pm

Gibson or Epiphone? Gibson stock pick-ups sound pretty good. Some EMG battery powered sound excellent on the Epiphone.
ofcluke534
Regular

Postby muggs » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 am

It is a Gibson.

I was looking at the Pearly Gates to replace the stock ones. Can anyone tell me the difference in the sound?
muggs
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 am

What kind of amp are you playing? I had a Les Paul Deluxe with Bill Lawrence pups several years ago and they were like a vintage LP pup. I had no problem getting a "creamy" sound out of my Peavey Classic 30. Back off the bass, boost the mid and treble bit and crank on the gain. There's a fine line between shred and creamy. If you can distort the power tubes before the preamp you'll get that naturally compressed "Santana" type sustain and tone which is what I think your looking for. If your looking for a more "Cream" like Clapton, Bruce, and Baker sound you might want to try some sort of "fuzzface" effect.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby muggs » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:11 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-06 AT 10:13 PM (EST)]Fender Blues Jr w/Reverb.

Yes, Santana is close to what I am looking for. Good sustain and thick rich sound.

Thanks! I will try to get it dialed in.
muggs
Regular

Postby trguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:10 am

I got a Pearly Gates on my Kramer Standard Pro. Less power than the 490R on the Studio. Might be a better blues pickup, but I don't know. Mind you I didn't put it there, the guitar came with a JB at the bridge and a Pearly Gates at the neck position. The Studio has a 498T at the bridge too and that is a fairly hot pickup, but I like hot!
trguitar
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 am

>Fender Blues Jr w/Reverb.
>
>Yes, Santana is close to what I am looking for. Good sustain
>and thick rich sound.

I have the same pickups as you in my Paul and I can get a Santana like sound from Mesa/Boogie- and (slightly less creamy and more crunch) Marshall- type amps.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby blues power » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:53 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-06 AT 08:53 AM (EST)]i have an 02 LP std with burstbuckers. i always hated the trebleyness and i shopped pups for about a year or so. at the same time i hated to spend another $150-200. so i experimentd with diff caps and found a pair that worked really well.

but it was still lacking something. so after much debate i bought a used Boss GE-7 EQ pedal for $30.00 on ebay. now i can dial in any sound i want from heavey blues to twang to balls to the wall rock n roll and i guess even metal if i were to dare.

so try that route b4 you go spending "money for nothing" on pups that may or may not give you what you need.
blues power
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Glad to hear you experimented with caps. You can do a lot more with those to cut excess brilliance than you can with pickups.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Santana is using an Ibanez TS9 these days.....

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby muggs » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 pm

I agree, the Stock pups are hot. I will attempt to get my amp dialed in. The amp is new to me and I may just need to get used to it. I was actually boosting the bass trying to soften the sound. I will try to lower the bass and increase the mids and trebs...

Thanks for all the feedback.
muggs
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:42 am

If you get the bass up to where it's distorting a lot, it doesn't sound great. Gets really muddy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar