Losin' the drummer

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Losin' the drummer

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:08 pm

>Oh, and thanks LoriLu for allowing me to make my ONE THOUSANDTH post on BRB.

Congratulations, felicitations and salutations!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:04 am

Yeeeeehaw! that's country for congratulations and whatever you want it to be. Watch out on your celebrating. I am dealing with a killer hangover right now and slept away the day. Gotta say it was worth it, though. But next time I'll be more careful.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Sat on the drums last night for a couple of hours. I forgot how good it feels to hit, smash and roll. It would take some time to get back into performing shape though. We have a line on a drummer who just lost a blues rock band so we may be back up soon. I did like drummin' again tho. The other two in the band were surprised at how well I did. Sounded like in the movies when they find the generator that hasn't been run for 20 years and the mechanic get it up and running. Boom, spat, gurgle, clank clank clank. You get the idea. I am in shape so that wasn't a problem, felt good to move and sweat. Hope this new guy fits in.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:16 am

The best of luck on your hopefully new drummer. Yeah, I just love drumming. And you do need some stamina and flexibility to play for a long time. There's actually a lot to it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Talked with the dude last night. He's 47 and been playin' blues drums for a long time. I invited him to our next show on the 22nd and he said "what, I thought you needed a drummer?" I said we do but the old drummer will fill in until you're up to speed. He said he'd be at practice tonight and after we hear what he can do that we'll want him to play the gig. He said he could do it no problem. He was very confident about being up to speed in just a few practices. I said that would be great. He said he doesn't roll much, that he plays "in the pocket". Anyone know what that means? I take it he plays strong beats which is what we need. We need a blues drummer, like I hear on my Luther Allison CD's. I'm excited. He said he just came out of a blues band that did some originals and he seemed excited that we're an original blues band that does some covers. Tonight's the night. I hope he's as good as he talks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Sounds good,Big Daddy! If he is what he says,then you hit the mother lode,'cuz "in the pocket" means he's a blues drummer,not a rock player who's been kicked outa every band he's ever been in. I heard a "blues" band the other nite that came with a good reputation,and what I actually heard was a 3 piece ex-rock band. The drummer was playin' rock licks,the bassist sounded like a frustrated lead guitar player,and the lead guitarist had nothin' but rock licks,and they were playin' mostly originals,written by the frontman. It was no blues band. I wondered how the heck he'd gotten his reputation,or if he jus' had a great promo guy. If you really got a blues player there,then thank your lucky stars.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:15 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-06 AT 09:18 AM (EST)]Sat on the drums last night for a couple of hours. I forgot how good it feels to hit, smash and roll.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Man I need ta try sittin on em while I hit em !!Bet dat does feel nice, Have ya ever tried dat LORI?? Big Daddy? Didja keep yer pants on or take em off??
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:08 pm

601, I am not sure exactly what you are saying but I cannot say I have ever tried that. Oh OK, I get it now. I am a little slow this mornin.

In The Pocket means tight, in the groove. Not straying from the groove and it applies to any player, bass, guitar anyone. Sounds like you will have fun with a good blues drummer. Congratulations, BD!
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:00 pm

This cat hadn't played since last June, he was out of shape. He will not be up to speed for the April 22nd show tho. Our old drummer will play that gig. I get the difference between a blues drummer and a drummer. Our old drummer tends to just rock it out. This new cat, last night, would groove to my walking bass lines. He said he's never played with anyone who is as solid as I am, who walks all over the neck. I was surpised at that. At walkin' playin' blues bass? Anyway, this cat will work out if he wants to. He's way out of shape and agreed he shouldn't be on the kit come a week from this Saturday. I took him out for a bite to eat after the practice and talked with him a bit. I didn't get his touch on the kit at first last night but as we rolled thru the songs I understood. I put on Luther Allison, Muddy Waters, ect on while working out this morning and this new cat drums just like them drummers on the CD's. I'm so use to the straight ahead drumming that ain't blues drumming that I was ignorant when I played with a real groove drummer. I get the "in the pocket" phrase now. Duh! Our music will take on a new shape with this guy. He's 47 and I told him we want a drummer who will slug it out with us for the next ten years regardless what success or lack thereof my come. He said he's thrilled to just be jammin' with a blues band that plays blues. I'm jazzed.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:11 am

Congratulations! great to hear you found someone who is enthusiastic and ready to get going. Nice complement on your bass playing too. Very cool.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar