Losin' the drummer

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Losin' the drummer

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:48 pm

Our drummer is leaving the band. He's joining up with his brothers outfit, they play 70's pop and soul at weddings. Gag me with a spoon. We're lookin' for a new drummer. He's going to play our next two gigs and he is a friend. At our last show we got the ladies pullin' up their shirts and hitting us with the headlights. Our show leans to the sexual. We are learnin' to entertain a bar crowd. We do suggestions, banter and such. I dance alot with the bass and even stroll into the crowd and go butt to butt with ladies. It's alot of fun and the women get wild. Anyway, we're gettin' the word out. Truth is, because we play so many originals, our current drummer messes up alot. A cover is easy but originals are bit tougher. He balked at practise and at the shows screw up the intros with the wrong beat. I'll miss him but I would sure like to find a drummer that is also an artist at their instrument. If we can't find one then I'll have to sit in until one comes up and Angelo will have to take the bottom end with his keyboard. 70's pop and soul covers, I'd be ashamed. If it ain't blues I ain't playin.'
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: Losin' the drummer

Postby trguitar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:36 pm

My last band died cause our bass player got stolen. That was a long time ago and I haven't done the band thing since ... I should. I thought that kid was not replaceable but you know what? My son is twice the bass player that kid was. I'm just 15 years older. LMAO We also need a drummer ...... for classic rock and blues. Is that acceptable?
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:44 pm

BigDaddy, you need to figure out a way to lure LoriLu into coming over to join you.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 am

I had the opposite experience in that the drummer stole my band - or at least persuaded them they needed to be more "mainstream" by playing old pop covers which amounts to the same thing.
I walked and, while it took some time, formed a new, better band who are happy with blues/blues rock.
We are having a ball and just about ready to strut our stuff.

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:45 pm

Shoot,I would be the perfect drummer for Big Daddy's band. I'd have the guys moonin BD. How long is the commute? I'm ready to audition.

TR, don't worry about what you play if you like and enjoy it, someone else will too. And you will have an audience. In fact, I have a respect for the bands that can get the people up to dance and feeling good. So you should start up your band again.

Glad to hear,Hash, that you found a good band situation. Probably worked out better than the first one.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm

Hey,Good Luck Big Daddy! It really is a treat to work with drummers who are great musicians. I worked with a real good rhythm section last year,and it was very helpful to my music..I got very good input from both the drummer and bassist. I still play with the drummer occasionally,with two different bands,and we're developing a great bond. He understands harp as a rhythm instrument and is able to create "compin' holes" for me,'cuz he doesn't play too many notes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:18 pm

Hey BigDaddy, hope you get a decent drummer soon. Still, it's great you can get a good response playing originals - that must be mighty satisfyin. Sounds like almost as much fun as Walter's pot-smokin lesbian rodeo night at the Blue Heron. Myself, I love 70s Soul music.

Bubba that sounds like a GREAT drummer for a blues band - lucky you!
nizer
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:48 pm

I sympathize with you here. I, too, am in the search for a drummer. It seems the only people we've been able to find are more interested in playing *#&$^@* Green Day than what the band does.

Good luck on your search.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:54 pm

Young drummers tend to play to hard. My guitarist has two awesome drummers as sons if we played Nickelback or Green day. Both of them have sat in with us and about 15 minutes into it I had to ask them to stop. I'll fill in if need be. Dig this, I am best with one bass drum one snare and two cymbals plus hi hats. No joke. I was in Guitar center awhile back and my ex-wifes grandson was with me. He was 4 and asked if I could play them things. I got some sticks and started out slow and steady then intencified as the minutes clicked by. I played for about ten minutes then ended. Two young guitarist stood in the doorway and a guitar salesman stood there with them for most of the time. They all were amazed, said I did some fantastic stuff and I only used the bass and snare. Really, they were impressed. I told them that's all a drummer needs. So if I do have to sit on the kit it will be a two piece, well three counting me. We're puttin' the word out and I really wish LoriLu could do the job. Her attitude alone sold me. Peace.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Yeah, I think it'd be great if you could get LoriLu!

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-06 AT 08:24 PM (EST)]Thanks so much, I would so love to play in your band, Big Daddy. And see, Ricochet recommends me.

Have you been to one of Walter's gigs at the Blue Heron? I did not get that impression. Are you referring to Walter's female drummer?
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:59 pm

You're misunderstanding Nizer, LoriLu. He's saying that sounds like a really interesting gig. You may have missed Walter's post about wild goings on in the audience at The Blue Heron while he played.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:22 am

Ok, sorry, now I am getting a bit worried, then. I am not that kind of girl and lesbians are worse than guys sometimes. Yiiiiikes! Where do I read about this as I would kinda like to know what I might be getting myself into.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:25 am

And forgive me for the misunderstanding, I edited it out! Jeez.
lorilu
Regular

Postby nizer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:33 pm

>I am not
>that kind of girl and lesbians are worse than guys
>sometimes. Yiiiiikes! Where do I read about this as I would
>kinda like to know what I might be getting myself into.

Haha... don't sweat it LoriLu. Rico's right, I was referring to a previous post by Walter about one night at the BH. I'm sure Walter had nothing to do with it. Anyway, it all sounded like good, clean fun - nobody hurtin' anybody.

Oh, and thanks LoriLu for allowing me to make my ONE THOUSANDTH post on BRB. And thanks everyone else here for being such a cool gang to hang out with - you've really been great friends for me over the last year and I really appreciate your knowledge, humanity and humour (that's Canadian for humor) - Salut! (*glug, glug*)
nizer
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar