New Toy for me

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New Toy for me

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:42 pm

I got a Toneworks AX10G effects processor a week or so ago and thought I'd share with you folks its pro's and con's. My overall impression is Not too bad, not the greatest thing since sliced bread but not bad. At $150 bucks it has a good assortment of effects, chorus, delay, compressor, rotary speaker simulator, talk box, phaser, flanger, and a half dozen others. What really impressed me is that the different reverbs and echo's (delay) are pretty good. The "leslie" effect is almost as good as my Voodoo Labs Microvibe. As far as the 11 amps they "modeled" they aren't very good. Although the "boutique clean" model shimmers with a light chorus or leslie effect. Very tube sounding. The blackface twin is decent and the plexi is not bad the others are crap. Korg claims this box can be used as a direct input for recording but haven't tried it yet. The thing that impressed me the most was that it sounds good when used with analog effects and it works well with headphones. My wife likes my music but she doesn't care for the fact that my tube amp (Classic 30) needs some volume to sound good. I think she said she couldn't hear the tv or something. Ha Ha.

My overall impression is that the Toneworks is a workable unit for the small investment but the fact its not super user friendly to switch between preset tones keeps it from being a great unit. The jury is still out on whether I'd use it in live situation or not but it definetly has a place in my home with headphones for practice purpose. Check it out

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: New Toy for me

Postby telemonkey » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Sounds pretty interesting.
It's amazing how many things these little doo-hickeys do now in days for not so much money.
I mean, I got a Digitech RP-200 and a V-amp2 (and my eyes on a few others..) Yeah, neither one will set the world on fire with tone, nor replace a real amp or even "real" analog effect boxes, but man, they do an awesome number of things passably well.
Whenever I hear someone say these multieffect/amp modelers are cold, digital sounding etc., I think back to the late seventies. Back then I'd have never imagined all the Amp Modellers/Multi effect/do everything boxes we have available today for relatively cheap.
I can't wait to see how good amp modeling gets five-ten years from now.
Who knows...
telemonkey
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:50 pm

I have a Digitech, uhhh, I forgot the type, haha, but I can never seem to get a clean sound with it. Prolly my amp. I dont know. But, does anyone else have that problem with the Digitech Pedals?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:51 pm

I shouldnt say a clean sound, I mean, there is always buzzing. Thats what I meant by the "clean" sound.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Guitar