Hollowbody electrics for the blues

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Hollowbody electrics for the blues

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:04 am

What are some good hollowbody electrics for playin the blues? Or should I say, what are some good ones that wont cost me an arm and a leg?
leftyguitarman
Regular

RE: Hollowbody electrics for the blues

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:19 am

This is my favorite electric guitar: http://www.rondomusic.net/820.html

I've got P90s on mine, an option they offer periodically.

Not a hollowbody, it's a semi. Sweet playing guitar, and it sounds great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:24 am

How did I know ric would bring up Rondo? Definitely, shop Rondo. I say semi hollow also unless you truely truely want hollow acoustic sound. The semi hollow will do that sound well but will also handle overdrive and distortion without feeding back uncontrollably. Mine is an Oscar Schmidt not a Rondo product but it goes from mellow to metal ad performs well at both.
trguitar
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:26 am

What is the difference(s) between a humbucker and a P-90. I played a Les Paul Goldtop with the P-90s in it, and I liked em, but what exactly is the difference?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:29 am

Does anyone know about Artcore? Are they any good? When it comes down to guitars, I know my stuff, except when it comes down to Hollowbody guitars. haha. I know nothing.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:51 am

Well, John Lee Hooker played a bunch of them. The Epi Sheraton was his 'signature' model.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:54 am

>Does anyone know about Artcore? Are they any good? When it
>comes down to guitars, I know my stuff, except when it comes
>down to Hollowbody guitars. haha. I know nothing.

I've read that they are good. The George Benson model is really nice, except for having a cheap, flimsy pickguard.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:13 am

>Does anyone know about Artcore? Are they any good?

I've played a few of those. For the $ they're pretty amazing.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:19 am

>What is the difference(s) between a humbucker and a P-90. I
>played a Les Paul Goldtop with the P-90s in it, and I liked
>em, but what exactly is the difference?

The P90 is a big fat single coil pickup. It's got the screws in the middle of the coil for pole pieces. Two flat bar magnets lie under the coil, on their sides with like poles turned together almost touching those screws, which carry the magnetic field up to the strings, returning around the sides of the coil to the other edges of the magnets. Humbuckers have one of those magnets on its side, with a coil and pole pieces on each side of it. That means that each side's pole pieces are opposite in magnetic polarity. The coils are also wound in the opposite direction. Two opposites cancel, so they both produce signal voltage from the vibrating strings in the same direction; they add up in series. An external magnetic field hits the two reverse-wound coils the same, producing opposite votages that cancel. no hum. The inductance of a coil goes up as the square of the nmuber of turns, so with the same amount of wire on the coils (often the direct resistance is shown by the makers, which reflects the amount of wire,) the humbucker will have the inductance of two of the small coils added up, for 2X the output of one of those small coils. The P90 has it all wound in one big coil, for 4X the output of a single humbucker coil, or twice as much as the equivalent humbucker. Can't beat 'em for overdriving amps. P90s hum like crazy, of course. They've got a characteristic "honking" tone kinda like the "quack" of a Fender single coil, but considerably deeper toned. Humbuckers are much cleaner, smoother and more civilized.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:40 am

When I was shopping for a semi-hollow guitar my choices were between an Epiphone Alleykat, Epi Dot Archtop, and various Artcores.

I sat in a sound both for 45 minutes playing each one multiple times. The Dot Archtop came out on top because the neck felt much more solid and the guitar seemed to have more girth.

The Artcores were a close second. I could have walked away with either and been happy. I didn't like how the neck was so high off the body. You have to jack the pickups to their maximum height to get to the strings it seems. The pickups were nothing to right home about, but very mellow. Good Ibanez bight at the bridge. The neck played like a Les Paul.

I have been happy with my Dot.

Hope that helps.
bignick
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:33 pm

The Epiphone and Ibnez are good but for a little more cash Gretsch is making some cool axes.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:30 pm

My son has the Epiphone Dot. It's a great guitar for the money. I have the Epiphone Broadway. I really like it.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm

I too have the Epi Dot and have always liked it! One of these days I'll splurge for a Hollow body!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:55 pm

My favorite - I used to use a Gibson es120t.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/es120t.jpg

I'd love to get another.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:13 am

Well, as a left handed guitar player, I have few choices. I played a Dot Archtop for the first time, but I have not played the Artcore. Reading everyone's reviews on the Dot, the Dot seems to be the one. I am kind of on a budget, well, I'm always on a budget. I'm in high school. haha. At least my cousin is an Epiphone dealer. Maybe I'll get a little chunk off the price. Thanks everyone. You all are very helpful!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar