what songs to learn? please help

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: what songs to learn? please help

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Be sure to check out Johnny Farmer and Charles Caldwell, along that solo electric line.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby blindstanley1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 pm

you could do worse than listen to and learn some elmore james. i've always enjoyed playing madison blues, and i prefer the original version of the sky is crying.
regards
bs
blindstanley1
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 pm

>>>and i prefer the original version of the sky is crying.

YUP!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcv » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 am

I want to that you all for your replies!

I needed a little direction... I love the blues but I don't know who's who. I have some SRV, Robert Cray and Albert Collins stuff and some old John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf CD's but that's about it. Now I have some more artists to check out!
jcv
Regular

Postby rf101st » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:42 am

JCV, thats a damn good start. Howlin Wolf has Hubert Sumlin, Muddy is great, Elmore James, Albert Collins. A good Collins knock off is Coco Montoya, he was Collins drummer for a while. Any of the "Kings" are good stuff. Jimmy Reed for some easy/steady/mushmouth blues. The list is endless.

My suggestion is Bluesville on XM, and just listen to as much as possible. You will develop your own favorites, and then play their stuff. Cheaper than buying the record store out. Although I bet that was a blast doing it.

I also agree with the above input about SRV and Clapton. I would take any of the 50-60's Chicago stuff over them. Happy hunting.
rf101st
Regular

Postby sweetness » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:07 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-06 AT 05:28 PM (EST)]While I totally agree with what most have said about skipping SRV and going back to Freddie, Albert, Hubert and others....

Sounds like our man is looking for a bit more of a rockin' type blues. If that's the case, I'd recommend Guitar Shorty. His latest, Watch Your Back (Alligator Records), has some blistering solo work. Never over the top and always tasteful, but Shorty can really Bring It. And guitar tone for miles.

I realize this doesn't exactly answer your original question, but I'm always looking for guitar styles to copy as well as songs to learn.

My .02,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby jcv » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 pm

rf101st, you know, I have been listening to bluesville and I've written down some stuff that I like - great channel!

sweetness, thanks for the tip on Guitar Shorty! I will check him out for sure!
jcv
Regular

Postby jcv » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:52 pm

The thing I really want to learn is rythm. Not that I'm a great lead player but there are lots of great licks to copy but so many artists who have keyboards or horns laying down rythm with the drummer and bassist. Whenever I go see a local smalltime blues band, The guitar players are laying down awesome rythms - where did they learn that???

This is just the beginning of my journey to become a decent blues player.
jcv
Regular

Postby rf101st » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:51 pm

I would do some web surfing and try and find a blues guitar book. I have a good one with alot of rhythm patterns I am learning from. Its called Real Blues Guitar by Kenn Chipkin ISBN0-89898-579-X.
rf101st
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:37 am

>Please give me some essential tunes to learn so I can add to
>my rep.

Hey Jay, it's a great goal you have. But the only "esssential" songs you should play are the ones you love - no matter where you get them. But they don't have to be "classics". I really don't need to hear another cover of "Mojo Workin'". There are tons of great overlooked blues songs.

Zak has given you some good pointers. Just LISTEN as much as possible to the greats - any of 'em. The ones for you will jump out and grab you and say "PLAY ME!". Learn them as best you can and have fun.
nizer
Regular

Postby david » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 pm

There are exceptions (Barry Manilow comes to mind), but in general it bothers me when a musician or a musical style is completely dismissed.

I have to admit to enjoying the rush Jimi Hendrix or Johnny Winter give when shredding up a classic blues tune.

BUT: I also think everyone ought to spend a bit of time focusing on the much more subtle forms. And if you want to hear the subtle interplay of guitars on some blues tunes, give a listen to "Too Wet to Plow" by Johnny Shines. The interplay of his guitar with that of the young Louisianna Red is phenomenal.

It is acoustic, but the subtle patterns there are about as clean as you will find, and if you can't do it clean you can't do it nasty.

There's also some good recordings out there of early Muddy Waters tinkering around with a slide while a young Buddy Guy plays circles around him with an acoustic guitar.

Just falling back into those will give you a feel what is possible with very little.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Guitar