CHANGING THE STRINGS

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: CHANGING THE STRINGS

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:28 am

That's great! and you admit it. But I'm gonna use this link because I keep breaking high E strings.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:32 am

I started changing strings in 1978. (On my wife's cheap Korean Sears mandolin.) Learned the hard way with nobody to show me how, tuned with a tuning fork, broke some strings and scared the crap out of myself. I've got it fairly well worked out how to do it now, but I never have lost the sense of danger and excitement.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:32 am

Yes - the danger and excitement! I hope I never lose that. LMAO big time. Tryin not to cuss.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:53 am

I never met anybody who lost an eye to a guitar string; but I'm always aware of the possibility.....
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:24 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-06 AT 07:26 AM (EST)]Gee, I've been changing strings so long I can do it in my sleep. I know it must have been stressful at first. I mean I'm sure it was but it's hard to remember. I probably got my own way of doing it also, but I do have a couple of handy rules to follow. Change one at a time if you can so you can tune them as you go. I think this decreases the chance for over tightening and breaking them. I change the low E (6th string) first and work down. For wound strings, no more than 3 windings on the post, no less than 2. Plain strings can have more windings. Windings on the bottom of the post, string coming off the top with no overlapping. To start them I just stick them through the hole and wind them. I've seen techniques for anchoring them but have never seemed to need to do that and I guess I just copied the way they came on my guitar when it was new. Some people stretch them by pulling up on them, grasping them all at once and giving them a yank. You need to be careful doing that cause you can break them. I gently stretch mine one at a time, section at a time working my way down the frets with one finger and pulling up on the string with the other hand.
trguitar
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm

I've got a kittycat (named "Frets") that helps me every time I change strings...anyone who's changed strings with a cat around knows what it's like, quite entertaining!
1four5
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Maybe the original poster missed the link at the bottom of the introductory page called "[link:www.cyberfret.com/gear-tech/changing-strings/page2.php|Page 2, Changing strings on an electric guitar]"?

But yeah, we're really stuck up around here.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

I really think that she missed the link but this has been really helpful to me. Seems like changing and tuning drumheads is a lot easier than guitar strings for me. I get pretty frustrated. And they don't look pretty when they're on. Yup, I can see changing strings with a cat! So glad to have all these links needed it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:17 pm

When I was about 7yrs old, we used to by strings at an old country store,Clyde Postons tradin post, They were Black diamond strings,didn't know anything about gauge,but they cost 1.50 a set,It was exicting to get new strings, But I would put the string into the tunin key just enough so I could hold it with a pair of pliers,and start turnin till I tightined up, Had a heck of a roll of string On da tunin key,The reason was when you broke the string at the bridge you could unroll enough string and thread it through the keeper once again and tightin back up,When you worked puttin up hay for .25hr all summer a 1.50 was almost 2 days work,then if you bought strings your elders would say you was wastin money!!Then we used to take the strings off durnin the winter and Boilem on the wood stove,this would retemper them for a while, And those Black diamond strings were so heavy in nickle content they would turn your fingers Black while you were playin,I would get 1 set of strings every spring, But today if I break one I'll just replace it!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:37 am

Martin Resonator Guitar strings will turn your fingers black. Cool!

Goes nicely with the green slide finger (with a brass slide.)

Hey LoriLu, if you change drum heads with a cat helping, make sure the cat stays on the right side of the head.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:28 am

Nice story you kinda feel like you're there. I heard about boiling strings for the bass. With a little vinegar. As far as changing drum heads I do it less often than 601 did when he was a youngun. I should do it more but the damn things are expensive! The cats climb in the bass drum through the hole and sleep in there on the pillow. Now you know what you gotta do then - No, I try to be nice.
lorilu
Regular

Postby trguitar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:55 am

My cat (recently passed away) used to try anything he could to get into one of my guitar cases. I still find myself looking over my shoulder and then feel stupid cause he is gone. Now a cat in a drum kit ...... that is hillarious! I could just see the look on the face if you were to sit down and start playing. Bet that bass drum would turn into a cat cannon in a hurry.
trguitar
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:15 pm

My favorite cat of all time - Selina, a little Black one who died of Feline Leukemia - would pee in any instrument case left open and unattended.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:33 pm

I've seen several mentions of guitar cases, and guitars, having been peed on by cats.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:35 pm

That has to be the worst smell in existence on this planet, seriously. Cat pee. How can such nice little animals have pee and spray like that? My cats, although some have been run off by the new dog, know to take off when I get near the drumkit. It IS funny. The cats that got run off were bullying our one female calico and they got the payback. It's sad but karma is even in the animal world!
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar