What are you playing these days??

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: What are you playing these days??

Postby songdog » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:18 am

I'm an old rocker/guitar player from the 60's & 70's and would still be listening to and playing rock if there was anything new and interesting out there to follow. But we all know how mediocre popular music is these days.

I've really been into the blues for the last 10 to 15 years but have noticed that even this genre is beginning to stagnate just a little bit.... you'd a thunk there might be another one or two SRV-caliber performers to come along and claim king of the mountain, but it hasn't happened.

So like many, I've been having fun going back and discovering/ rediscovering many of our elders like RJ, Tampa Red, Little Walters, et al.

Last year I picked up the harp, started taking a few lessons and began listening to many of the old harp players out there. This has uncovered a wealth of new music to enjoy (i.e. music I previously ignored and/or overlooked as a guitar player) and has been a fun journey so far.

Maybe in a year or so I'll take on another instrument or get serious about slide'n.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:34 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-06 AT 10:49 PM (EST)]I started playing angst riddin folk music many years ago and played whatever was popular along the way. Surf,C&W, R&R but always felt rooted in the Blues thanks to Wolfman Jack on XERF del rio. The first time I ever heard Jimmy Reed's harp and shuffle guitar I knew thats where I belonged as a musician. Currently I'm playing with a southern rock cover band, singing and 6stg, and backing up a blues/singer/songwriter/guitarplayer on bass fiddle. The more I play the bass the better I feel. Slide on my brass bodied Rogue makes me feel pretty good too. My main 6 string is a homemade job bolted together from parts given to me by friends. It's main part is a 1960 clay dot strat neck. The bass is a Chinese cheapy with a K&K pup. I'm lookin for an old KAY.
oleman
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:26 pm

In an attempt to keep things short:

The first music that graced my ears was mainly funk and a little bit of disco. It wasnt that i chose it (God knows I still don't really know what to say about disco), but it was my parents' music and it was the only music available to me. There was a point in time where I was intrigued by classical music. Strangely enough the next thing to catch my eye (or my ear, rather) was rock n' roll. It was a devision of music which had been around all along, however in its own form had such a raw energy about it (of course I'm speaking in generalities here). Around the time that I really started enjoying R&R, that was when I picked up a guitar. From rock n' roll I slowly began to trace it back to its roots... yes, blues and folk music. While I still play and enjoy rock n' roll (its just in my heart I think), blues music was what I came to consider an extremely pure form of expression which consists of music from the soul (which is what I believe music should be). I'm not gonna go into detail about the way I feel about blues music-- cause I could probably go on all day-- but thats a short summary of my journey through music.
savage
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:52 pm

Man, i see some heavey questions on this site, But what Iam playin is really tough! Ive always been on the oposite side of the stret than everyone else, even in school I didn't go for fads or dress like everyone else or try to be like everyone else, I used the guitar to keep me company started at 10yrs old, over the years I have played all kinds of Music,Cover Bands etc, In the 60s was the greatest time as a guitar player,seems like you had more freedom to express yourself and people just listened to your sound,the more creative you played the more they liked it, Now I see musicians tryin to get the SRV sound or soudin like this on or that one,which I feel is strange! Your insturment should reflect you,So I don't try to sound like anyone but myself! People that hear me want to try and guess who I sound like or even ask me who Iam tryin to sound like!!I tell em 601,but it really ticks me off when people do that to me!The Blues is a style that people seam to want to keep in a box,and stay within certain guide lines But anyone can get da Blues! They just use a sound thats familure to them to express it, Hank Williams express his blues with a country sound but it was his sound! I don't stay in any form I just go where ever My feelins take me,thats my relief, cuz I must please myself before I can please someone else.
601blues
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:02 pm

601 Blues. I second that. I have always tried to do my own thing and it is tough in a world where people (for the most part) are programed as to what they like or don't like. Growing up I was being told by the media that Led Zep was the most. They are good and my friends all had the 8 track but I liked The Carpenters, James Tayor and softer stuff. I've never liked the Rolling Stones but they have been in the scene a long time. It's the ones who stepped out of the box that seemed to be greats. Hendrix, SRV, Pink Floyd. Not main stream. I liked pop music but I didn't want to sound like pop music. The music in my head was different. I have been in a couple of bands that came close to my music. Today, my band is real close. It's blues but it's hard. People seem to like what we play. When we set up they come and ask if we play Skynard or ZZ Top or such. I tell them we play original music. They frown and I ask them to have an open mind, that they will like what we do. Many times during breaks or as we tear down the same people will come up and say we kicked ass. This makes any musician feel great. I always thought that a mucsician was a musician because he played his own music. To cover someone, to me, was to compromise and lessen myself. We do 6 covers that sound like us. We have rearranged them and play them the way we like them. I don't mean to put people down but I feel a person needs to express themselves. If you can't write a lyric then find someone who can. If you can't play well, like me, then find people who can. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Peace.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Very Well put!!! I have the same problem I can't really go to a jam to play cuz I don't play dat stuff! its not bad I just don't know it but if I do step in its 601, If a writer wanted to write about horses and sat down and copied a book about Black Beauty,how would that go over!! whats the diff in copying music!!
601blues
Regular

Postby cheap_jazz_box » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:58 pm

I found the blues through rock, and slide from there. Now, I'm playing lap steel, learning old swing charts in a traditional steel tuning, and turning back over to open tunings for my blues stuff. The only "name brand" equipment I own is a '68 Fender Champ. My guitars are all Asian in manufacture, and my lap steel is home built. I discovered that getting there is half the fun!
cheap_jazz_box
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon May 01, 2006 10:25 pm

<Did anyone else come by the road that I did from rock to blues>

I am only 16 years old, and I've only been playing guitar for less than a year. All my life I've grown up (and still am) with classic rock. My dad who is almost 60 and my mom who is in her mid 50's listen to classic rock. So thats what I've been hearing my whole life. I never got into country, rap (despite having my 3 brothers play it in their rooms all the time), punk, metal, or anything else. Just classic rock. I even learned to play the piano 6 years ago so I could play rock and roll piano like Elton John and Billy Joel. I quit that 2 years ago, and in august I bought my first guitar. Then I started playing classic rock. But then I heard about blues. My dad listened to it, but I never really realised it was there. I learned what the blues was because I heard Eric Clapton talk about some guy named Robert Johnson. I even heard his name in a newer Elton John song, so I looked him up on the internet. A few months later I downloaded some Robert Johnson song and didnt know what the hell it was. But then I listened to more and more blues, and I love it. I only play classic rock, blues, and some folk type stuff on the guitar. I've found through my short time of playing guitar that the blues is my favorite. So yeah, I got turned to blues through classic rock. It seems that all classic rock music is based on the blues. SO yes, I know what you mean.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rf101st » Thu May 04, 2006 2:01 am

My musical tastes stem from many different influences throughout my life. Dad was a Motown fan, Mom liked the Mommas and the Pappas. One set of grandparents, old school country, the other set Frank Sinatra, Rat Pack, Tony Bennett, and all the classic dago stuff. My pot smoking cousins turned me on to Jimi, Joplin, Cream, the Stones and Led Zepplin.

Own my own I found heavy metal, and survived disco to find U2. I started playing drums at 9 with a teacher that thought the Eagles were the only band creating any music worth playing.

Through all that and 40 years of life I found myself at the roots of it all (except the dago stuff)...The Blues. I have picked up the guitar (reso, electric, and slide) and could not be happier.

I have passed this weird mixture of music on to my daughter who is just as comfortable listening to Jimmy Reed as she is Kelly Clarkson.
rf101st
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 04, 2006 5:13 am

I've been playing Fred McDowell stuff lately. I'm pleased with having figured out how to do the fast little run at the end of the verses of Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen" in Open D, and blended that into "You Gotta Move." Works really well. For that matter, some of Fred's licks work awfully well in "Come On In My Kitchen." Those two songs, "It Hurts Me, Too," and the first recorded version, "SItting On Top Of The World" are all variants of the same tune.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby skibumdog » Fri May 05, 2006 1:43 pm

stratman-27: Don't say you don't deserve that guitar.
Any guitar that inspires you to play you deserve
You have to like the feel and sound of your guitar to want to spend time with it, no matter what the experts say.
Like you, I go through different phases in my playing--that's OK, just keep going, you will keep getting better and there is always something to play
skibumdog
Regular

Postby bluesgtr68 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:57 am

I got into the blues about the time I met my wife,I had bought a few tapes of some blues nad thought not bad but when I saw Buddy Guy in concert it changed almost overnight.he came up the aisle and I touched his shoulder with my hand, it felt like a sign to play the blues so that's what I did.I enjoy Clapton,SRV, Hendrix and just about anybody who can seriously get down and play the blues.I play a Epiphone les pal thru a Crate RFX 120 but I wish I'd raher have a fender or marshall.I just don't go for all these modeling amps anymore. Just a guitar, cord and amp and that's it y'know.
bluesgtr68
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:15 am

I just sit there noodling away at various blue things usually, but I'm working at developing an acoustic lap style thing that I don't know if it's in E or A, it uses E, G, A, D. It's just nice to sit there and clang away at it though and just lose myself in the noise. And Diamond - the Red House has now evolved into a slide piece.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Guitar