I had a dream...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

I had a dream...

Postby guitarsmurf » Tue May 09, 2006 11:02 am

My first ever "guitar dream" in my 17 years of playing...

I dreamt I was at a guitar shop playing a "mystery archtop" (don't know what brand) through a Lab Series L3.

It was the MOST FANTASTIC archtop sound I'd ever heard. It was a big 17" body with a floating jazz-style pickup. Ebony fretboard and bridge. BEAUTIFUL honeyburst quilted maple top (solid of course). It had a really low action and almost played itself.

And then that SOUND. Man, that sound was from the Heavens! Imagine a blend of Charlie Christian and T-Bone Walker playing through a modern clean amp. It was clean and warm, but articulate, tight and focused with just enough sustain. And reverb... Almost like it had natural reverb going on coming out of the body.

There was a 15,000 EURO (+/- 18,000 USD?) price-tag attached and I remember telling my wife that was a good deal. :) That's how I KNOW it was a dream!!!

Now I can't get that sound out of my head. Don't they say dreams are about something that's lacking in your life? ;) Maybe I'm lacking an archtop!

Hope I visit that guitar store again tonight!
guitarsmurf
Regular

RE: I had a dream...

Postby skibumdog » Tue May 09, 2006 11:09 am

Maybe now you are supposed to go find an archtop!

Even the snobs who write for Vintage Guitar concede that a lot of the Asian made arch tops give you sweet sound and lots of bang for the buck!

People laugh about the Cort Larry Corryel model until they play one

Happy guitar hunting. Let us know what you come up with
skibumdog
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Actually, when I first started playing I tried a Cort (Jim Triggs?) model hollow-body in Teel and it was a wonderful guitar. Cort makes great stuff. The Ibanez Artcores aren't bad either.

Cool dream. I always dream that I am on stage and either my pants fall down, I forget what I am doing, or I am playing like crap and everyone LOVES it.
bignick
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 pm

I've had a few Guitar dreams through the years - in the earliest, I went to a concert and heard Segovia perform with a white Steinberger.

He played "Johnny B. Goode", "Purple Haze" and other chestnuts from the electric guitar repertoire - with his own Iberian flair. It was awesome!

In a later dream, several workmen were injured when a guitar burst into bright, white, phosphorus flames.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue May 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Wow. What a beautiful and inspirational dream. Color, sound, detail. Something's coming your way or is looking to be found. Love your dreams, Dan, from your creative mind. I enjoyed the performance anxiety dreams, too.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 1:08 am

>He played "Johnny B. Goode", "Purple Haze" and other
>chestnuts from the electric guitar repertoire - with his own
>Iberian flair. It was awesome!

If you could remember how to play those things with Segovia's Iberian flair, it'd be awesome, too!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 10, 2006 4:14 am

Dude, I totally wish I could have videotaped that dream - the performance was unbelievable.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deferre » Wed May 10, 2006 11:33 am

I must have one of those $15000 archtops in the basement somewhere... behind my collection of vintage amps perhaps... or under those National tricones nobody plays...
deferre
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed May 10, 2006 1:26 pm

>>>Maybe now you are supposed to go find an archtop!

Last night I was alternating between my ES, SS and Epi Dot (all black) and my son's Takamine (also black) was out and my wife suggested a blonde colored guitar would seem to balance out the color scheme..... Hmmmmmmmmmmm, a nice deep bodied blonde archtop might be needed aye! Noooooooooooooooooooooo mo GAS! For now anyway.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu May 18, 2006 10:26 am

She's out there, she really is. Don't go looking, don't even think about her, and one day in the next 2 years you will turn a corner and your little archtop will be there, waiting like she always has for you, Mr Right. And even though she won't be the list price in the dream, she will be worth that to you.

My KD28, my Precious, cost peanuts, she's made cheap, but she sings for me. Your archtop is out there, waiting to sing for you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: I had a dream...

Postby nizer » Thu May 18, 2006 12:06 pm

mickeypainless wrote:my wife suggested a blonde colored guitar would seem to balance out the color scheme.....

you are a lucky man Mick
nizer
Regular

Postby trguitar » Fri May 19, 2006 1:52 am

I kept having a dream about a metallic blue electric that looked like nothing I had ever seen. Had this one off and on for a couple of years. I found my Switch Vibracell on line and bought it cause it was the guitar in the dream. Metalflake blue and made of composite, one piece from a mold. Only cost $149 and came with a gig bag and a strap ... a good padded strap. Grover tuners and a bound neck with rosewood fingerboard. Plays like a dream too.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SWTWILDI
trguitar
Regular

Return to Guitar