Their wives dictate my show

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Their wives dictate my show

Postby lorilu » Sun May 07, 2006 3:51 pm

I saw this show with Joseph Campbell and he was saying don't throw out all your demons when you're cleaning house - they are actually the source of your creative genius. Maybe blocked creativity and genius gets distorted into "character defects" when not used the way we were meant to use them.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun May 07, 2006 5:22 pm

Ohhhhhhh, I LIKES dat LL!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sun May 07, 2006 5:30 pm

>I saw this show with Joseph Campbell and he was saying don't
>throw out all your demons when you're cleaning house

Don't throw them out! Save them for the garage sale - maybe someone will buy them and start playing blues.

> Maybe
>blocked creativity and genius gets distorted into "character
>defects" when not used the way we were meant to use them.

Who decides how we were meant to use them anyway? Dr. Phil? Maybe it's impossible to extricate character flaws, demons and creative genius. These days everything is pathologized into some kind of syndrome or condition so they can sell us therapy or drugs to make us "normal". Sheesh! Well-adjusted is overrated.
nizer
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon May 08, 2006 2:21 am

Sorry you feel that way, N. I loved what the guys were saying and I was sharing what I heard and what has been my experience. And I am always open to learning new things - if it makes sense and hits me where my heart is then I do not care from whatever the source. I like being well adjusted and happy. It's fun and I get to do a lot of stuff.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon May 08, 2006 2:27 am

I guess I want to say that I have been down some self destructive roads and those of us who have been at the bottom of the barrel will either go all the way down or find a way to come out of it. However we do it - it becomes that - a life or death thing. It is not about saying stuff to be psycobabbling idiots - it is about survival. I am probably wasting my words here as has happened before. I really wish you the best. Really.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon May 08, 2006 4:04 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 00:06 AM (EST)]Uhhhhhhhh.... I think he was kidding LL!
However I DO agree....... what the hell is normal and who's right is it to judge?!?!? Certainly NOT some syndicated quack!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:41 am

>those of us who have been at the bottom of the barrel will either go all the way down or find a way to come out of it. However we do it - it becomes that - a life or death thing.<

Oh how true! Waking up in detox strapped to the bed after a 13 day blackout is what did it for me. There are as many ways back out as there are people. You just gotta find what works. AA, church, marathon running, Dr. Phill, music, yoga, whatever it takes. It really is a survival thing. Not that is helped much, but I used to listen to Dr. Laura on the radio on the way home from work. I'm not much for people who have everyone else's problems all figured out, but hey, it can be entertaining, and sometimes you pick up some good stuff.

What's amazing to me is the feeling that all the crap inside actually goes away, and people think they can be cured....like the monkey dies. It wasn't until I pickd up a guitar, that I discovered that it never goes away, you just get good at burrying it, keeping the monkey silently sleeping, the demons at bay. It's all still in there, and I'd be kidding myself if I thought it wasn't. It's the music that brings it up lets it out.
1four5
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon May 08, 2006 12:12 pm

>What's amazing to me is the feeling that all the crap inside
>actually goes away, and people think they can be
>cured....like the monkey dies...It's all still in there, and
>I'd be kidding myself if I thought it wasn't. It's the music
>that brings it up lets it out.

Right on 1four5. My trusty Harmony helped me get through hell. Now I write lots of bitter songs that nobody likes but make me feel a lot better.

LL, don't take my cranky rants too seriously. I've been through therapists, Zoloft, etc. Some of it provided tactical relief during crises but in the end it was the love and support of close family and friends that saved me from the street. Some of the "therapists" were just using me as a guinea pig to test their theories - some bad experiences. I took myself off SSRIs because although I didn't feel bad anymore, I couldn't feel anything. Like 1four5 says, in the end ya have to live with it. So that means feeling everything, good and bad.

Dr. Phil... well, personally I can't stomach him. He's just a modern-day snake oil salesman shilling books and CDs under the guise of compassion. Really, it's just an excuse to get good TV ratings by showcasing the endless parade of human misery. I prefer Jerry Springer - at least he doesn't pretend he's performing some kind of public service.

But that's just my twisted viewpoint. Anything that helps you is good and I wouldn't try and impose my views on anyone.
nizer
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon May 08, 2006 12:24 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 08:25 AM (EST)]Exactly NIZER,monkey is always there!! But Dat monkey ain't got nuttin,on da power of LOVE, Every time he tries ta crawl out his pit,I just think about all the crap he wants and it just ain't a bargan anymore I just laugh at dat fool!!I don't even hafta to tie him up anymore,But I love my life and there is to many others I love that will not let that happen,He has gotton all he can get from dis ole Boy fer shure!!Just remember It Takes LOVE to make a Paradise!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon May 08, 2006 3:17 pm

OK, cool. We're cool. But I love Jerry Springer too and he says some great things after the wrestling matches. I am bummed because for the past 6 years I have not gotten to watch Jerry - Jerry as we do not get the reception up here. I'm a big fan. (Yes, Lummo). I'm sorry, I'll stick to my love for Dr. Phil. He makes sense to me and he's funny. He's very intelligent and he says it like it is. I have learned a lot from him and the people he has on. I am not a fan of Dr. Laura, my sister was, but I did not care for her.

Anyway, it IS all about whatever works for you and what is available to you. You can use anything and everything except what you were using before for coping that "made your life unmanageable". It helps to know there are others out there struggling, too. I used exercise, yoga, walking, friendships, and books or anything I could find to help me stay on my path. I have fallen off a few times and with much anguish and shame got back on. Many old friends were not as lucky.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 3:58 pm

>took myself off SSRIs because although I didn't feel bad anymore, I couldn't feel anything.

"I'm gonna hurl myself against a wall,
Because I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all."

Warren Zevon

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon May 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Life has knocked me down a few times and probally will again. At my matured age I have learned that living is all of it. Forget the wishing, forget the lusting, those things ain't real. What's real is what I have done today and will do before the day is over. What is not real is what I will do tomorrow, at least it's not real yet. What I did yesterday was real at the time but is only a memory now. I try not to do things today that I will regret for days to come. As a young man I did a few of them things. What a waste of time. What a waste of time to feel bad about yesterday, what a waste of time it is to wait for tomorrow, tomorrow may not even be mine. As for love, without God there is no love, period.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 08:30 PM (EST)]Ain't it cool the direction this thread took.... Started off with a buncha us big strong macho men taken a stance against the unreasonable requests (demands) of them thar females in our lives and now we're all sharing some purdy deep stuff about our life, loves, fears and such!
Da hell w/ Dr Phil, Paxil and electroshock therapy, I'm a card carrying member of BRB! I'm just a armor plated marshmallow!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue May 09, 2006 12:38 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 08:40 PM (EST)]I gotcha Dictate Hangin!!Dang Mick!! shut up we ain't got feelins like dat !! snap outta it man !! were men!! REMEMBER!!!!??????
601blues
Regular

Postby grady » Tue May 09, 2006 3:53 am

I don't know man.

When I was younger, I was all about being a "He-Man" and proving it every chance I got.

As I got older and much smarter, I realized that everyone has Feelings an everyone is special and deserving of respect and caring.

I love my Wife and I'm faithful to her.
I also put my Son #1 in my Life and make sure that he is very well provided for and that he knows his Father loves him more than anything in this World.

I also am not so quick to make fun of others anymore for I am very well aware of my own shortcomings and flaws.

If that makes me any less of a "Man" so be it.
Doesn't bother me at all.

I'm happy, content and everything in my Life is freakin' "Peachy".

Let others do as they will as long as they don't mess with me or mine.
I just wanna live my Life and be happy.
grady
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar