A new amp

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

A new amp

Postby foster » Wed May 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Hey, it has been a long time hasn't it? :)

I'm currently hankering for a new amp, i found space in the house for my current amp to live in all its glory so i need a replacement to live in the computer room, it needs to be a combo so if i need to drag an amp somewhere i can take this one.

I've been having a look at the vox range, particually the Vox AD30VT, but what other amps would you guys recommend for about £150 - £200? (christ knows what that converts to in dollars), i play either a few rocking riffs or some nice muddy waters inspired noodles, but im usually found with a bit of dirt on the amp and mucking about with a wah pedal ;)

I hear those fender amps are quite popular, anything i should look into trying? I use a les paul, telecaster and a rickenbacker style guitar.

Cheers
Foster
foster
Regular

RE: A new amp

Postby warren » Wed May 10, 2006 10:53 pm

foster,

i have an ad30vt and it is a real nice amp, plenty loud....you can get a lot of really good tones out of it. I have to admit i play my tube amps more but the vox is a good choice in the hybrid arena.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 am

There are some serious fans of that little amp on a couple of more rock-oriented boards I frequent.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 11, 2006 2:03 am

Those are really nice amps.... Just like guitars though they all sound a little different so its good to try and find a couple somewhere and try 'em all out. Lots of people use Vox amps and for good reason. They can get pricey though where some of the better Fenders, Peaveys, Marshalls, Behringer, Gibson, Epiphones, smaller tube amps are still available for under a grand or better under 500 sometimes. I try to stick with tubes although I did get a 2x10 Behringer thats real nice for some things. It gets like a toolbox after a while. You know?

You can't go wrong adding a Vox to your stable though. Of any kind.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 am

Always heard good about the Vox amps! I have a Fender Blues Jr that absolutely wails! I play my elec reso's, Epi Dot and Epi LP Classic thru it and they all sound great in their own rights!
My son sez for a little amp it gives his MESA Boogie a run in some areas especially volume!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Thu May 11, 2006 10:14 pm

I have taken on a student. He and I went out and looked at amps for him. He bought the Fender G-DEC. You can't play gigs with it but it has alot of fun stuff to it. Would be great for computer people. This kid is just learning, has a crap guitar which I had to strip and put back together for him. If he sticks to learning he won't be on this guitar very long. The amp has to many features to mention but you can read about on the Fender web site.

http://www.bluesrockit.com
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Fri May 12, 2006 10:10 am

Those Roland Cube amps are pretty fun too!

But make sure to get a bigger one like the 30 or 60. The Micro Cube is fun, but in the clean channels it distorts easily on low notes. Just starts to rumble, even with the gain all the way down. Courtesy of the tiny little speaker.
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby foster » Fri May 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Well it looks like i shall be more than inclined to splash out on a Vox AD30VT, but i shall have a go on a roland cube and a fender blues jr

Thanks for the advice :)
foster
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri May 12, 2006 6:07 pm

I was in the music store last week and noticed the owner of a guitar studio in town was pickin' up some little Epiphone with reverb for his studio players. About $150.00.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar