Valve Junior Head

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Valve Junior Head

Postby sweetness » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:32 am

Well, I took the plunge and ordered one. They're backordered till 5/25 though.

Since I've only ever used combo amps, I'm looking for some advice on cabs. I can't see myself ever playing in anything larger than jam night in small rooms. I've looked at some cabs at earcandycabs.com, and they look pretty interesting. Or can you just slap a speaker into a box and hope to get something good? I'm not mechanical enough to trust myself.

Any suggestions?
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:46 am

Yeah, you can do that. It's more work than you might think, though.

Avatar cabs are a popular budget line that I've heard good reports about on several boards.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Tue May 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Well, mine arrived today! I'm trying to get some sound of it at the moment. I thought (wrongly, I guess, and I'm a noob here) that it had an internal speaker and could be played as is. The specs say there's an 8" speaker, but I don't see it.

So my next question is, can I plug from the head direct into a solid-state Kustom 16R with an 8" Celestion? If so, what do I need to do (and not do)? Do I need to turn on the Kustom?

Or is something wrong with my VJH?

TIA,
Sweetness

embarrassed to be so ignorant....
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 03, 2006 12:53 am

No, there is no speaker in a "head." I hope it's got a shorting jack on the output, or else a resistor loading the output transformer so you won't fry it trying to play with no speaker.

You must plug it into a speaker. The one in your combo amp will work fine, if it plugs into the amp. You can use a 1/4" cable connector from Radio Shack to connect the speaker cable to the short cable from the amp's speaker.

The big problem with a head is that you have to have a speaker cabinet to go with it.

The manual referring to the 8" speaker is talking about the Valve Junior Combo.

ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed May 03, 2006 1:04 am

Thanks, Ricochet.

So, there's a jack in the back of the Kustom which seems to go to the same place (long metal box) that speaker cords connect to. Speaker is 8", 8 ohms. I plug my guitar into front of head, run cable from 8 ohm jack in back of head to said jack in combo, turn on both head and amp.

No sound.

Am I doing something wrong? I fiddled with volume on both boxes, but no result.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 03, 2006 1:30 am

That may be a speaker out or line out jack on the Kustom. It'd only work if you were connecting to the speaker. Sounds like you're not. In many combos, there are just direct wires from the amp chassis soldered or clipped to the speaker, and you'd have to add a jack to connect to it.

Like I said, this is the big downside to buying a head. You really need to buy, build, or already own a speaker cabinet. A combo comes with its own speaker, but can often still be used as a head.

ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed May 03, 2006 4:18 am

Years ago I bought a Fender 4 x 12 cab. It was on sale, a straight front orphan of a full stack that sold as a half. Got it for $259. Crazy at the time but now it is my main speaker cab. I figured it had approximately $320 worth of speakers in it so it was a good deal. Origionally sold for $399 so it was a steal. Right now I got my Epi Special run through it. Sounds much better than the internal speaker, go figure. Only cost twice what the amp did before they marked it down. And that was 1992 dollars! lol I have a Crate solid state head, my Crate combo and Electar combo have speaker out jacks. I am seriously considering the Valve Junior head. If I get the Epi head, I would consider building a 2 x 12 cab .. or a 2 x 10. That is part of the fun! Well, for those of us prone to GAS.
trguitar
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed May 03, 2006 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies and the enlightenment of an amp dummy.

So I'm looking for cabs now! Is there a limit on what the VJH can drive with its 5W? What would be too many speakers, wattage, etc.? Or doesn't it matter?

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed May 03, 2006 1:58 pm

You'ld be suprised what that thing will drive. My Special is only 5 watts and it pushes my 4 x 12 like a dream. I can blow the windows out of the house if I chose to. I think my cab is rated for 200 watts.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 03, 2006 4:00 pm

A 1W amp will sound pretty darn loud out of a 4x12 cab. I've run my Valve Junior combo through a Fender 4x12 cab, and it sounded killer. Awful loud, though!

ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Sat May 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Well, the Peavey Backstage cab I bought arrived this week. It was a busy week, and I've only had a couple of hours with it hooked up to my VJH so far. But I've got to say it's pretty sweet! Love the tone even at low volumes. I can only describe the sound as "round" at nine o'clock. Don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how it sounds to these ears.

I haven't experimented with a lot of volume yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll need my Blues Driver pedal with this. Maybe for the boost and a bit of grit. We'll see how it turns out.

I've also done some research on speakers and found some good recommendations on a couple of Webers and Eminences. But I want to give this combination some time before I do anything about that.

And knowing that the sound will only get better as the tubes get broken in... Lots to look forward to!

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 13, 2006 3:37 pm

About 9:00 is where the knob on my combo is right now.

The combo's speaker has been reported to be one that Weber sells as a "Ceramic 8."

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 13, 2006 3:39 pm

Oh, there's not any breakin period to tubes that makes them sound better. But you will get used to your amp and learn how it sounds, and develop your ideas of what you want in a speaker.

ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Sat May 13, 2006 5:08 pm

A ceramic 8? Hmmm. It's from a Peavey Backstage 110, so...

Maybe a different Backstage?

I heard that tube amps did "break in" over time. No? Well, I definitely will get more used to it and so the sound will "improve" that way.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 13, 2006 7:41 pm

You can hear a lot of stuff about amps that isn't necessarily so. Tubes, some kinds of capacitors and resistors deteriorate over time, but I wouldn't call it "breaking in." The device is in its prime state when it's new. Speaker cones may "break in." They can break up, too.

ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar