Valve Junior Head

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Valve Junior Head

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Yep!

But I am going to rectify the heater current.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:58 am

You know, speaking of loudness and speaker efficiencey, my current Epi is the Special, still 5 watts, but when I play it through my Fender 4 X 12 it is much louder than the speaker that came with the amp. The combo speaker is a 10" and it breaks up real early. My Fenders are punchier, the cab is closed back, but they are louder too. Another plus for the head I suppose, different cabs, different sounds.
trguitar
Regular

Postby cllvt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:53 am

>crowduck ,
> funny you should mention the stereo speakers, I was
>thinking the other day where could I get a cheap cab. for a
>JBL 12" speaker I have setting around and was thought of
>just going down to the local thrift store and see if I could
>find an old stereo speaker cab to put the JBL in..until I
>come up with something better, hell it might sound pretty
>good .
>
>I think the Epi jr head sounds better with humbuckers and
>that little 5 watt booger is LOUD playin thru my 2x10
>cab.....sweet spot is around 8 and up on the dial
Hi Firebird,

So what are your thoughts on the head now that you have had a little more "quality time" with it ... is the hum issue gone with the head (vs. combo)? Any concerns with it? Thanks!
cllvt
Regular

Postby slickcat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:29 pm

Come-on.....give us some sound clips of the Epi Junior head..:P
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:12 am

This afternoon I finally installed the heater rectifier in my Valve Junior combo. Interesting results. It got rid of the constant 60 Hz hum in the speaker, unaffected by the volume knob. There's still a low level hum in the speaker, responsive to the volume knob. Not noticeable till it's turned up pretty loud.

But the transformer itself hums, from the magnetic field constricting the iron laminations in the core. And the rectifier increased the hum, since the rectifier makes the current flow in short, intense pulses instead of a smooth sine wave.

It still hums at about the same overall level, but it's a different sounding hum.

That's all I'm going to do with it. Heck, I'm usually playing through it with P90s, and they pick up all sorts of electrical noise from the environment. It sure is a great sounding little amp. Mrs. Rico's been out, and I've been playing it cranked up so it's making a nice, nasty crunch, using my bridge pickup. I love it!

I'm gonna make my Class B 6N7 amp a one-knob deal like the Valve Junior.

ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 am

Cranked to distortion on the bridge pickup? Your sounding like me Ric! Thats where I live. Your right about those P 90's but I love em. I just turn off the computer monitor when I play is all. It can pick that thing up a room away. Don't have any flourecent lights in here but I bet they make it sing too.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:58 am

Yeah, my P90s will pick up this iMac's deflection coils all the way across the room. I have to turn at right angles to it to play to record, even if I'm out in the hall. They'll really pick up my cell phone, too.

ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:36 am

Ricochet, now I know why I can hear my transformer humming! My home build amp has center-tapped heater secondaries, so rather than rectifying the heaters I put a 100 ohm 2 watt resistor to ground from the CT, which in conjuntion with the star grounding completely eliminated any hum from the amp even cranked wide open, but I did notice the transformer hum went up a little..
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Might be you're noticing the transformer hum more if it decreased your electrical hum.

Connecting a center tap to ground ideally shouldn't affect the heater voltage, current or the transformer's electromechanical hum.

Here's another idea to try: Hook that resistor on the CT to the cathode of a cathode-biased output tube, or if you don't have one of those, to a resistive divider from B+ to ground at about a +20-40V point. That can make a big difference, as the heater can no longer emit from the exposed ends, being much more positive than the cathodes of the "preamp" tubes. That spurious emission pulsates with the AC on the heater, and isn't controlled much if at all by the control grid. It's a big problem in the lower level amps, especially the first stage.

ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:59 pm

You know Ric, you could spout medical jargin til the cows come home and I would take in every word, but this electronics talk leaves me feeling stupid. lol Spout some crap about beta blockers, ARB's or ACE inhibitors or something. (I just went on blood pressure pills can you tell?)
trguitar
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:46 am

Not too far "Off Topic" here but,
I just want to let everyone know that I'm still very much in love with the Epiphone Valve Standard amp that I bought some time ago.

It's my favorite amp.

I've had no Quality issues with it.
Excellent Tone, reliability and it's done a lot of miles and gigs since I bought it.

IMO, it's the best of the Epi line.
However, I do want to try the new model with the Tube Rectifier.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:48 am

I think messing with this stuff helps me to stay off of blood pressure meds, TR.

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:27 am

I've just been trying out a speaker with the Valve Junior, a Fender speaker made by Eminence. It came out of a Deluxe Reverb, I think. It was a road amp belonging to a country singer named Teri Clark. Her guitar/amp tech lives here, and replaced the speaker because it was making a noise he didn't like. He pitched it out, and I found it and brought it home. As I recall, I hooked it to my Pignose G40V, played it loud, and didn't like a scratchy sound I heard in it. But I don't hear any such noise with the Valve Junior. Out of any cabinet, by itself, it's extremely bright, extremely loud, and really puts out the "presence" sounds. I've got a half-finished 1x12 open back cab I think I'll go on and put it in. Might build the upcoming 10W 6N7 amp as a head. With this baking pan chassis it's going to be a little awkward to put in a conventionally styled combo, anyway.

ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:49 am

Do you think this could work on jam night if you miked it, all by itself?

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Oh, sure.

ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar