Valve Junior Head

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Valve Junior Head

Postby songdog » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:51 am

ALRIGHT - Mr. Firebirdsteve has jumped on the grenade for us! Way to go and welcome to da Big Road!

Please let us know how that little head sounds.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby firebirdsteve » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:43 am

maybe I`ll see if I can put a clip of it up on soundclick next week when it gets here..
firebirdsteve
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:44 am

>Here is a question for Rico and you other pros ... how tough
>would it be to use my 2x10 combo's speakers as a cabinet
>(without removing them). In other words could I just
>disconnect the speakers, and put a jack in the back, so I
>could either plug in the amp part of the combo, or a nifty
>little Jr. Head into these speakers? Is this
>practical/doable? What do you think?

Sure, that's easy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby cllvt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:44 am

>>Here is a question for Rico and you other pros ... how tough
>>would it be to use my 2x10 combo's speakers as a cabinet
>>(without removing them). In other words could I just
>>disconnect the speakers, and put a jack in the back, so I
>>could either plug in the amp part of the combo, or a nifty
>>little Jr. Head into these speakers? Is this
>>practical/doable? What do you think?
>
>Sure, that's easy.
>
>
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Thanks Rico, you RAWK! :) ;) :7
cllvt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:58 pm

No problem.

ricochet
Regular

Postby rf101st » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:11 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-06 AT 10:15 PM (EST)]Ricochet, let me know what you use on that jr. valve combo. I just got mine about a week ago. I love it, but if I can unload that humm, I will.
rf101st
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:28 am

Haven't put it in yet, but I got a bridge rectifier, some 1000 uF 16V electrolytic caps (I only plan to use one for this job), a few push-on connectors and some wire to make new wires from the rectumfrier to the printed circuit board so I won't have to do any cutting and soldering (except for attaching the capacitor to the bridge recto), and have a couple of 100 ohm resistors in case I decide to tie the DC level of the heater circuit to the EL84 cathode.

Good instructions for making a DC heater supply, and some other mods if you decide you're interested, can be found at: http://valvejunior.com/

ricochet
Regular

Postby firebirdsteve » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Well, when I got home from work last nite the Jr. head was here. I got to plug it in for about 10 min. before the girlfriend started bitching about she couldn`t here the tv LOL !...Quick review from that 10 min....

Cool lookin little box, must of been shipped straight from the factory as no Mus.Friend paper work inside the org. box and still could smell the glue

only got to play a washburn HB 30 I had setting out (335 type with humbuckers) at the time thru my Dr Z 2x10 bottom ( I have a Dr Z Z28 head ) so the cleans didn`t inpress and sounded a little muddy but cranked it up and that overdrive was funky old school sounding , I really like the way the cranked od sounding with a slde, kind of cheap and nasty.. remember I only had about 10 min with it . no bad hum was apparent.. a little when I cranked it but my house is old and a computer is in the room too, so I think they fixed the hum...... if I get a chance this weekend I`ll play my firebird and Les paul thru it , then try a strat and tele .. I`ll let you know more as I get a chance to wring it out a bit...I only hope it can hold up being dimed most of the time as that seems to be where it `s at..I bet this little bad boy will sing with a just a little bit of compression..
firebirdsteve
Regular

Postby crowduck » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:51 am

Would this Epi Head work with regular 'stereo speakers', like what I have on my AM/FM Tuner Amp?

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:20 pm

Yeah, it'd work. Whether you'll like the sound is a matter for experimentation. I'd want the speaker to be rated for considerably more than the rated power of the amp, for two reasons. The amp actually develops a LOT more than 5W. And when it's in heavy distortion, a lot of that power goes into higher frequency harmonics, which the crossover in the hi-fi speaker directs to the tweeter. The tweeter is only able to handle a fraction of the speaker's total rated power, and it's possible to smoke tweeters with an amp of far less than the rated power, if it's distorting heavily. So don't cry if the tweeter smokes, they're pretty easy to replace.

Normal guitar speakers roll off on their high frequency response at anywhere from about 3.5 KHz (15") to around 5 KHz (12") on up to maybe 7.5 KHz for 10" and 8-10 KHz for 8" speakers. Hi-fi speakers with tweeters often go well above 20 KHz in their response band. Hearing those unaccustomed high harmonics and "presence" sounds, some people think they sound "harsh." But it might be just the ticket for you.

ricochet
Regular

Postby harphawg » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:54 pm

>I love it, but if I can
>unload that humm, I will.

I have the combo..and it hummed like crazy when I got it. A few $$ in parts and some simple soldering took care of all the noise. I added another filter cap on the power supply end, added a ground jumper on the pc board, and did the dc filament conversion. This seemed to have the most effect on the noise. You can get a heavy duty bridge rectifier from Radio Shack, and a 1000uf-35v filter cap from there too. This amp make s no noise at all now, even when cranked all the way!

Here's a pretty good page for mods on the combo
http://www.klugemusic.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78
harphawg
Regular

Postby firebirdsteve » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 10:18 PM (EST)]crowduck ,
funny you should mention the stereo speakers, I was thinking the other day where could I get a cheap cab. for a JBL 12" speaker I have setting around and was thought of just going down to the local thrift store and see if I could find an old stereo speaker cab to put the JBL in..until I come up with something better, hell it might sound pretty good .

I think the Epi jr head sounds better with humbuckers and that little 5 watt booger is LOUD playin thru my 2x10 cab.....sweet spot is around 8 and up on the dial
firebirdsteve
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:54 pm

One thing some Valve Junior combo modders have discovered is that it likely won't be as loud if you replace the stock speaker (which is the same one Weber sells as a "Ceramic 8.") It's a rather efficient speaker.

ricochet
Regular

Postby rf101st » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 am

Thanks for the info guys, I actually am getting used to it and it doesnt seem as loud. But I still think I will eventually make the modifications.
rf101st
Regular

Postby warren » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 pm

i have the valve jr. too and the hum is kind of annoying but only when i'm not playing...the key is to keep playing and you won't hear the hum!

ww
warren
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar