Gold Tone Dojo

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Gold Tone Dojo

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:50 pm

I've dealt with Janet Davis Music before, and was well pleased. I've recommended them a bunch. Sent a thank you to Janet Davis and got a nice reply back from her, too. Hadn't seen their new alternate domain name, but it's an easy one to remember.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 pm

Got my Dojo just before BRB went down. I love it, it fits me perfectly. About the same quality as a Rogue reso. Some workmanship issues but mostly cosmetic...I don't care, I'm going to beat it up anyways. After smoothing the sound well ledge, centering the junk plastc biscut on the stamped thudy cone, reworking the saddle slots to the proper width and height, dressing some frets and sraightening the neck, she is really playing great. With metal fingerpicks, it almost can hang in an acoustic jam. The cone and hollow plastic biscut are reall sorry ass. I know this thing could scream...the guys are just starting to warm up to some blues (Stormy Monday and Blues stay away from me are in our set book). We are getting ready to play out in some low key acoustic settings and I want to be ready.

My questions. Should I go with a National or Quarterman cone? How is the height of these compared to their junk Asian copies. My sound well is 9 1/2" exactly. The stock cone is 9 3/8". I've read that the cones are undersized because they grow with string tension. Is this accurate information? If so, I'm assuming that a 9 1/2" National cone should drop right in. I've had my stuff apart before, and it's all pretty straight forward...but I've never replaced a cone simply by reading specs on the internet and hoping I get lucky. A good cone should make this thing scream. Thanks you'all, thoughts, and insights or recommendations greatly appreciated .
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-06 AT 09:10 PM (EST)]An update on my Dojo, it just keeps getting better. If there was ever and instrument in my short carreer that has "played in" this one is doing it in a big way. First of all, I put heavier strings on it. Going from the stock 11-24's to 12-27's. I also got rid of the cheap ass goofy backwards pointing planitary tuning "pegs" and put some quality Schaller guitar tuners on it, MUCH better. I had it back apart again this weekend, and cleaned the sound well out some more. I had the cone near the back of the well (intonation) and even though I had already smoothed the shelf, I discoverd the edge of the cone resting on a glue blob. I still can't believe how rough and poor the workmanship of the cone shelf was originally. I think smoothing the shelf and making sure the cone made 100% flat contact has made the biggest difference. I got it back together, and had a 4 hour acoustic jam with my friends, and it is just screaming, and keeping up no problem. I'm leaving it the way it is for now, and have even scrapped the idea of changing the cone, it really doesn't need it. It was just a matter of getting it to play the way it was designed too...before sloppy human builders got their hands on it. I have no idea what connection the Gold Tone Dojo builders may have with the Gold Tone Beard resos, or any other import for that matter, but this might be something to look at if they aren't playing up to par.

One thing is for sure, if there were any doubts that this instrument may not be something I was interested in...they are gone. It fits me and what I play perfectly. I LOVE this thing and will beat the tar out of it. The idea of looking into Donmo or Amistar is certianly in my mind for something in the distant future.
1four5
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:33 am

Hey, 1Four5, I know what you mean about the crap finish on the coneshelf - I recently bought a woodbody singlecone (the type with a cutaway & lipstick pickup) for playing Fuller/swing-jazz, & found exactly the same thing; a bit of patient cleaning up & it's way better, tho I also tried a (borrowed) National cone in it, which made a night/day difference to the sound (deeper & richer), so have ordered one of those - might still be worth considering for your Dojo?..great necks on these things, too, after a tidy-up plays pretty much like an electric..
eldergreene
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:06 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-06 AT 10:08 AM (EST)]Thanks for the input! I'm still thinking about trying another cone, my only worry is that the well is exactly 9 1/2" and a 9 1/2" cone might be a very tight fit, as well as little room for intonation. I did however find this cone which matches the diameter of mine:
http://www.beardguitars.com/resocones.html
It's the DEL VECCHIO on the top right of the page. Any one have any experience with them? Thanks!
1four5
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:03 pm

The Nat cone fit fine with about 1/8" to spare - if you're gonna change it, might as well go for the best (IMO), tho I've never tried a Del Vecchio; good luck..
eldergreene
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks Eldergreene!
Just what I wanted to know! Got the new cone and biscut ordered today...report in a week or so. We've got an acoustic jam at a rest home this weekend, man I hope it gets here in time to put it in.

Speaking of rest homes...man what a rewarding jam. All those people in there more or less forgotten. Gosh, to see them having a good time is beyond words and touched deeper in my heart and soul than I ever dreamed. It was my first time last month, and when we started playing, there were about 20 or so in the day room. Well, I guess we were bringing the place down, and the sound carried down the halls...and more and more started showing up until they couldn't get another wheelchair in there. They loved it and booked us once a month from now on. They even offered to pay, we said no way...it goes way beyond money. If anyone is looking for experience in front of people in a very low key, heart warming environment, try it, you won't be sorry.
1four5
Regular

Postby mdbanjoharp » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:28 am

Sounds cool 1four5! I'll bet that is good to see people enjoying your music. especially the old folks that are going to be looking forward to you coming back. Keep it up!

MikeT (oldtymer)
mdbanjoharp
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:08 am

Nice job Dean! I have alotta respect for you guy's!
MAN! I got a big ol lump in my throat now!
Good onya!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-06 AT 10:51 PM (EST)]Thanks a million you'all!!! Tim3finger (our bass player) said it perfect afterwards, he said "if we never get further than this, at least I now know what it's all about". We practice a gawdawefull lot, and I often feel there is a lot of good stuff coming out of it that nobody but us ever hears...man, why not get out there and give it to some people who really appreciate it.:D

well, I just got done putting a Quarterman cone/ebony tipped maple saddle/biscut in the Dojo...HOLY MOSES!!!! What a difference...it's a loud screamin growlin whole new instrument. My buddies aint gonna be drowning it out no more! Very noticable is the vibrations coming out of it, feels like it's alive, with great deep snarely sustain it didn't have before. We got practice tomorrow and i can't wait. The 9 1/2" quarterman was an exact fit with no room to spare, but it did go right in. I had very little room for entonation...but it's close. While I was at it, I gave me a little more string spacing for fingerpicking, and really like that! It was my first saddle sizing and grooving job on a reso from a blank biscut...man what a bear, but worth every second of work and $$ spent on the new cone.
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Just finished practice. MAN what a difference, it's better acoustically than I even thought it would be last night when playing alone. Volume to spare. I've been reading about Quarterman and National cone upgrades here for quit awhile...now I'M A BELIEVER!!!
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Got some pics from the rest home today...what a day!
http://www.ukeblue.com/lakepoint.html
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 pm

Nice pics, one-fer! I've done nursing homes,too,and got the same vibes. I woulda taken the money though. Having said that,I'll admit I turned it down last time,but in general,I think it's good to let 'em pay. The activities director usually has some kinda budget,and I'd take the money to help pay gas and equipment expenses. I've taken money from churches and schools,so why not a nursing home. Just a thought. Ain't it great though...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Way cool gig you guys are doing, and the Dojo looks way cooool, too! My mom's in a nursing home a long ways from me, and I know she'd enjoy having some live music now and then. Your karma expands more than you can imagine by such deeds.
bluejay
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks a bunch you'all! I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is, and I like the low pressure layed back atmosphere. Its also been great experience for some mighty tough songs. We've been digging up all these public domain and popular songs from their generation, and man they don't spare on oddball chords and lots of changes. I think yeah right...you want me to play Chattinooga Choo-Choo?...then I look at the music and say yikes...I don't even know if I can!!! But then you see them light up when you start playing something like that, and it's worth every diminished and minor7th.
1four5
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar