If I'm not back in three days......

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

If I'm not back in three days......

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Big ole annual weekend jam starts tonite. My Wednesday nite jam group has its 15th annual Winter Campout, starting tonite thru Sunday afternoon. We rent 3-4 lodges at a state park about 10 miles from my house,and about 30+ players,and some of their families come from all over Minnesota,Wisconsin,and Iowa. It starts with a big ole potluck game feed, with music usually goin' in the lodge 'til the wee hours. Some damn fine musicians'll be there, with an amplified jam goin' on in one building,and the old-timey,Cajun,and Swing bunch wanderin' in and outa 2-3 different jams goin' on around the facility. If I'm not back in 3 days, please send a team of dogs after me.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: If I'm not back in three days......

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:17 pm

Nah, you wouldn't want us to drag you out of that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Playing music sure can be fun,heh? I played at the lodge 'til about midnite,drove the two miles into the little town that serves the park,and sat in with some of my buddies for their last set at one of the bars there. Buncha really nice guys who've opened their arms to me...this is the third time I've played with 'em. They had me give "Stormy Monday" a try,which was a little weird. I've never played harp on that tune before(I learned it on organ.)..the changes make for some real nice lyrical comp runs,and some long bends. Gonna do the whole damn thing again today. BTW,the food at the lodge was decadent. There was some guy there who was a pretty good stand-up bassist who got out a saw on a couple old-timey tunes...that got my attention; amazingly pitch accurate. It wuz a pretty good jam...the place was littered with stand-up basses (4,I think) and instrument cases.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:40 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-06 AT 10:40 AM (EST)]Can you say, "sensory overload"? Don't have to tell you to have fun, do we Bubba?!
bluejay
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:25 pm

Sounds like a hellava good time Bubba!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:43 pm

When I can afford a plane ticket etc.....

You should have been at Broughton Astley, I can honestly say the food was unforgettable. You do need these get togethers though, don't you? I'm already after another fix.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:18 pm

>If I'm not back
>in 3 days, please send a team of dogs after me.

Heck, I'll get a team of dogs and come and join ya!
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:46 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-06 AT 12:49 PM (EST)]>>If I'm not back
>>in 3 days, please send a team of dogs after me.
>
>Heck, I'll get a team of dogs and come and join ya!
Bring a sled for the dogs...or some cross country skis. It's great winter weather here; about a foot of snow on the ground,clear skies,jus' a little breeze,and about 30degrees F. Great weather for skiing,snowshoeing,hikin' in the woods,or tobogganing down the bluffs here. This is the part of winter I like! Really good fellowship with all the musicians. Some of the kids that came with their families are amazing musicians,too,which should be no surprise. They're over in one of the other lodges,jammin' up some "younger stuff",which is good to see. There was a funny smell comin' outa that building when I walked by there on a cigar break; I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. BTW, the snowshoe race starts in about a half hour...that should be funny; you can't enter if you're under 40 years old.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar