Another basic question about the fretboard

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Another basic question about the fretboard

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:08 am

I was looking through a lot of guitar stuff online and saw this thing for memorizing the fretboard. A friend of mine told me a long time ago that I should memorize all the notes on the neck. So I have been thinking it might be time to do that although I just look at tabs. I've copied the fretboard before and know how to find the notes. Any advice?
lorilu
Regular

RE: Another basic question about the fretboar

Postby cheyenne » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-06 AT 10:31 AM (EST)]My own advice is, for blues, I really would not bother about trying to remember the note names of each individual fret at each string. Seems like way too much of a jazz/clinical approach to blues.

Chord shapes, patterns and such are much more useful.

If I were to memorise just the first 12 frets that's 72 notes to remember. Then multiply that by however many tunings you might use, which in my case is usually 2, but often goes to 4 and sometimes even 8. (G, D, A, E + minors of each).
That could be anywhere from 144 to 576 to remember.

You're better off listening to records and playing along I think. Learn the patterns and shapes etc..

If you CAN remember all of the notes easily enough, and mainly play in standard, then it's a potentially useful thing to know though, of course. I just change tunings do everything by ear and by feel too often to bother with this type of approach.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:06 pm

I know a mnemonic for the strings in standard tuning, low to high:

Eat All Day, Get Big Easily.

You can count 'em up from those on each string.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:23 pm

I drew out diagrams of the neck for the different tunings I use.

It's more important to know how it works, than to have it commited to memory.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 pm

>My own advice is, for blues, I really would not bother about
>trying to remember the note names of each individual fret at
>each string. Seems like way too much of a jazz/clinical
>approach to blues.
>
>Chord shapes, patterns and such are much more useful.

I couldn't agree more! This is good advice to follow. What you should be memorizing is intervals, understanding how to interpret things like I-IV-V on the fretboard, I-VI-II-V, how the notes that make up a chord relate to one another in terms of intervals, not the names of the notes. This will allow you to transpose your ideas into other keys without having to think about it.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby david » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:30 pm

I still haven't figured out what a "chord shape" is, but I have found a few basic patterns in various tunings that seem to work when I get lost.

I happened to catch an old movie on cable while looking for something to watch with the kids the other night. It was a really dumb gangster movie with the plot involving a group of classically educated music professors that had a grant to study the newly emerging jazz music to figure out what it was about.

It had just about every jazz great from the time in it. Lewis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton, etc.

(Hold on, this is going somewhere.)

At one point the professors brought all the jazz musicians together, with their instruments, and after listening to them play a really hot number, asked to see the music.

They all looked at each other, shook their heads, and said, "Music, we ain't got no music. We just catch a groove and play what feels right."

Of course, that approach makes it hard to duplicate "songs" that anyone will recognize. Liberation can be so limiting...
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:57 pm

>Liberation can be so limiting...

Dang! That almost sounds philosophical.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Thank you guys so much. That was helpful. Yeah, I don't get the intervals yet, although when I'm playing bass from my tabs it states the intervals. I guess it's the patterns of the key you're in? (Don't worry I'll get this.) Interesting point, David, as it coincides with the music stand topic. Isn't music the most fascinating thing? Like just drumming alone is amazing. I can't get enough of this stuff. Rhythms, patterns, tones, beats, all to create these sounds for people to hear, feel and enjoy. Wow. And that hasn't even covered creation and inspiration.
lorilu
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Honestly, if you learn your scales and just play alot, the fretboard memorization will just come. I never consciously sat down with a chart and went "E-F-F#-G-G#..." but I know it all just from playing. Don't worry about it..
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm

LoriLu if you're talking about learning Blues on a six string, I recommend learning the Blues pentatonic scale. It's not too hard and you get useful results fast. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/BluesGuit ... itions.asp

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/index.php

The cool thing is, once you learn them you just have to drop everything 4 frets and you can play Country solos with the same patterns - yyyyyahhhooooooooo!
nizer
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks again. I do like the country.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Guitar