Real basic pick question

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Real basic pick question

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 am

I have always played guitar and now bass with just my fingers strumming and picking. I've been thinking about whether I should start learning to use a pick. I sure have a lot of em. I thought to just use it on electric and stick to my fingers on acoustic. Any input?
lorilu
Regular

RE: Real basic pick question

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 am

I think it's a good idea to train with different approaches - you'll learn things about hitting the strings by flatpicking, using fingerpicks, and using bare fingers that will strengthen your playing with whatever you ultimately select.

I also think that barefingered gives the best overall control and tone, although I usually use fingerpicks on my Resophonic guitar - which means most of the time.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wolfboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:14 pm

I use Golden Gate thumbpicks. I really like the tone they produce.
wolfboy
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 pm

Those are my favorites, too - Golden Gate heavy, and Acri fingerpicks.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 pm

I really dislike fingerpicks and thumbpicks. But I think learning with a pick for electric playing is worthwhile.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:49 am

When I play acoustic I always play with a thumbpick and fingerpick on my index. I don't think

When I play electric in a band setting I play with a flatpick and my middle and ring fingers. I used to find it hard to do alternate bass picking with a flatpick while fingerpicking with two fingers but now it's second nature.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:41 am

I guess I forgot about that. I'm a tele guy, so I got into the whole hybrid picking that Zak is talking about. It's a really great thing to know. And yeah, it feels a little awkward at first, but now I have to concentrate to not do it.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm psyched to try that flat pick with the middle and ring finger. Sounds like a challenge. I hope that would not limit my kind of playing as I am a huge fan of Wes Montgomery, Earl Klugh, George Benson, Chet Atkins and those kind of guys as well as blues styles. What do they use do ya think? I'm not trying to say I can even play like them but I would like to someday try some of that.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:48 am

>I am a huge fan of Wes Montgomery, Earl Klugh, George
>Benson, Chet Atkins and those kind of guys as well as blues
>styles. What do they use do ya think?

Chet played with his thumb and bare fingers, almost like a classical player, using all his fingers.
Wes played with ONLY his thumb, using the side of it like a flatpick. He did not use his fingers, except for rare occasions where he MAY have brushed a passing chord with them as an "effect" or accent.
Couldn't tell you for sure about the other guys though.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:02 am

Thanks. I tried the flat pick and fingers and it wasn't too bad. It felt pretty natural. I did not know that about those guys but for Wes Montgomery that is a trip! I have seen a few really good players only using their thumb. I took a community college beginning classical guitar and the teacher taught us PIMA so that opened things up for me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:08 am

Yep, Wes was a thumb player. He even did a cool tune called "the thumb". On the liner notes of... I think "So Much Guitar" the writer said that he saw Wes live and he was playing so fast he saw Wes' thumb blurring in front of his eyes.

If you look on Amazon you'll find a Wes DVD showing footage of a concert that he did for Belgian TV (my home country, btw) in the sixties. It's only about five songs and 1/2hr in length but it has good camera angles of his playing. It's not much, but I think it's the only live video footage available of him.

As for picks, one rule: the thicker the pick, the more articulate your picking will be. Thin picks I reserve mostly for gentle acoustic strumming. As most guys have said I recommend learning both pick and fingerstyle playing. Even on electric guitar you can use your fingers, just think of Mark Knopfler or Albert Collins. The dynamics are just different from when you use a pick.

Happy pickin'!
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Thanks, Smurf. I did not know all of that. I will enjoy trying all this stuff. Having used all my fingers it is not as hard as I thought it might be.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Guitar