classical blues

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

classical blues

Postby skyking71 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 am

Hi, I have a question? Do any of you play the blues on a acoustic classical guitar? I picked one up at the local music store and really like the way it feels and plays for finger style blues playing. If any of you have do you have any pointers on how to play a classical blues guitar? Thanks for the input.
skyking71
Regular

RE: classical blues

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:52 am

Years ago, I occasionally gigged with Harmonica player "Cobalt" Joe Becton, who played a Nylon String instrument when he played guitar - and got a good sound that way.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deferre » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-06 AT 02:57 AM (EST)]Just don't play with plectrum, use your bare fingers. Let your nails grow a bit. It's really awful to hear a nylon string guitar played with plectrum. I've seen that several times done by English session players and it sounds and looks ridiculous.

I'm spanish myself and I've been sorrounded by these guitars since I was a child. A good spanish guitar is a wonderful instrument.

Have fun with it!

Cheers,
deferre
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:19 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-06 AT 04:19 AM (EST)]The voice of a classic guitar can sometimes be a litle lacking for things like blues, and bending is frustrating with nylon strings - steel strings will, of course, wreck the guitar. But...

Thomastik-Infeld make a range of STEEL strings specially for classic guitar (Classic S); the tension load is actually lighter than many nylon sets, and the sound is very nice. The first and second can feel a bit like spider-web strands, but they're very light on the fingers.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html

My favourite guitar in all the world is strung with them.
badfinger
Regular

Return to Guitar