Sit or stand?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Sit or stand?

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:35 am

When I practice guitar (and bass) I am always sitting down on the couch. Should I be standing so if it ever goes any further than my home I will be able to do it. I do think I will play bass at some point at least to jam. What do other people do?
lorilu
Regular

RE: Sit or stand?

Postby grady » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:54 am

I always play Acoustic sitting down.
grady
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:59 am

I stand anytime-practicin' or giggin'- 'cuz that's what I've gotten used to; but,I'm a harper. Tonite,I WUZ slouchin' in an arm chair with my harp,while I was listenin' to a tune over 'n' over while noodlin' the part on my harp,but that was after a 12 hour work day (and 2 Cap'n Cokes),and I stood up to do the "OK,I got it" runs. I've also gotten more conscious of workin' on how I'm gonna move to the tune,even when I'm not playin',i.e. whether I'm gonna face stage left or right,or up or down,and jus' bob my head,or sway,or whatever. A player who uses wind to play has some different considerations,IMO.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:37 am

I always play acoustic Guitar sitting down.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:09 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-06 AT 02:12 AM (EST)]Never a fan of the noises that Brozman makes, but an admirer of his abilities and the discipline he applies to them, I give you the following Brozmanism:

"Never practice... Always perform!"

bf
usismisk

PS: Standing has more presence, unless one is elevated by stage or high stool, but when feeling nervous, sitting stops everything from the waist down from shaking.
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:24 am

Acoustic sitting, electric standing.
stumblin
Regular

Postby deferre » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:36 am

I always practice sitting.

But perhaps is not a bad idea to play standing during the rehearsals. Since we're supposed to be rehearsing for a future audience.

Makes me think...
deferre
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:04 am

I had never played standing before, until last summer my friends talked me into playing our first party. I had 3 weeks to get it together standing. I've never sat back down, I do all my paying standing.
1four5
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm

Just a sidebar; if you are playing a decent - sounding acoustic guitar, and you want to get as much sound out of it as possible, you play sitting, with the back of the instrument not touching your belly - so that the whole thing can vibrate more freely.

In fact, the less contact you have with the guitar, the better it will sound - handle it lightly, and with a sense of letting it go.

Additionally, the National Delphi is heavy enough that playing it standing is a bit of a grind.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks so much. Very helpful and beautiful, too. I do have a very nice acoustic a Takamine steel string, like a Martin. It was my brother's. Last night I worked on some of the stuff I learned in classical guitar on it and it will be cool to do it without touching my body. Letting it free. I am starting to get pretty curious about these national resonator sliding guitars you guys are so passionate about. Must be something to it.

I find it a little hard to play my electric standing up as I have gotten used to looking at where I am playing. I'm not that great, but I am trying to go a little more by feel and sound so I don't get hooked on always checking frets and fingering. I will try all these suggestions. Thanks.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:35 pm

The National is a wonderful guitar - within limits.

I'm playing around, now, arranging "Malaguena" (The song most people hear in their minds when they think Flamenco) in open D, and the National just sounds poopy for that type of playing.

(It sounds great on my Gibson acoustic; but that's a truly great guitar.)

But I'm sure I can make it work; at least enough to give someone sonic whiplash.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:13 am

I guess that's why they make so many kinds of guitars. I like Malaguena it is quite beautiful and learning to do it with pima I would think could broaden any player's abilities.
lorilu
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:52 am

>Acoustic sitting, electric standing.

Same here.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deferre » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:07 pm

>I'm playing around, now, arranging "Malaguena" (The song
>most people hear in their minds when they think Flamenco)

Which one is that? I there such a known song over there?
I'm curious.

In case you didn't know...
Malagueña is just a style of Flamenco. Flamenco styles are called 'palos', so malagueña is just one 'palo' more, like seguirilla, sevillana, rondeña, bulería or soleá. Each one having its own dancing steps. So, there are hundreds of songs with the surname malagueña. It's like playing a song called 'shuffle'.

I lived in Málaga during ten years, so I (had to) listen to a few malagueñas. I like to see them dancing to it.
deferre
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:11 pm

My mind wanders. I've just thought - how do you play lap steel stood up?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Guitar