instructional dvds

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

instructional dvds

Postby rookie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Apologies if this has been well covered before, but I've only got internet access at work, which means I'm still only halfway through the Blues Harp archives. But can anyone recommend a visual tutorial that gets the complete novice into doing blues tunes right from the start?

If not, I could live with that. But when I started learning keyboard I got really frustrated being expected to learn crap like Abba and stuff, so when I found a 'learn blues keyboard' dvd, it was like gold dust. It worked, too. But I would imagine that due to the very nature of the guitar, the tunes that you learn are slightly less twee than you would find in a piano course?
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

RE: instructional dvds

Postby norman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm

http://www.guitarvideos.com
http://www.homespuntapes.com

They have clips of most every instructional dvds. Both companies usually carry high quality products.

Ciao
norman
Regular

Postby kotiaho » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:26 pm

There are plenty of good stuff available.

I trust in these teachers, for example:
Stefan Grossman (guitarvideos.com)
Roy Book Binder (his two "Blues by the book" DVDs are a must, I hear! http://www.roybookbinder.com/ )
Kenny Sultan (really liked his Blues Legends tab book, http://www.bassharp.com/tomball.htm )
Fred Sokolow (I really like this guy http://members.aol.com/sokolowmus/blues.htm )
Keith Wyatt (not my fave, but still good, and a ver nice guy too)
Happy Traum (homespuntapes, good teacher)
Mark Hanson (has two DVDs on fingerpicking)
Dave Rubin (I think he has tab books only)
Woody Mann (more advanced, has DVDs on different pre-WWII blues icons).
kotiaho
Regular

Postby rookie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-06 AT 09:18 AM (EST)]yeah, I've rejoined one of those mail order DVD hire outfits and the choice of guitar tutorials is quite frightening. But the Fred Sokolow Beginner's Blues Guitar came yesterday and it looks like that could well be the one for me. Looks so simple.
They've also got a bunch of stuff called The Blues Guitar of Robert Johnson/Blind Lemon Jefferson etc etc which looks fascinating. Think I'll try and get my chord knowledge into double figures first though...
Oh, yeah, and as my 'axe' magically seems to detune as soon as I strum a chord, I'll really need to wait until our host sends me that Korg tuner. Hurry, PappyJ/UPS!
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-06 AT 11:49 AM (EST)]Maybe you should strum a chord, then tune it.

A common cause of tuning instability is strings binding in the nut slots. If you watch the tuner and see that the pitch isn't smoothly rising as you turn the key, that's what's happening. It's a big problem when you use bigger strings than the guitar came with. It helps to slack the strings way off and "saw" them in the slots to loosen them up, or do it with old strings when you're changing them. Be sure you address the inside corner where the string bends to go from the nut to the tuning post. That's where much of the binding usually is. Then lube the slots. Some folks recommend that nasty old black graphite, but plain automotive chassis/wheel bearing grease works fine.

I hate to see typos after I post.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby rookie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:21 pm

Sadly, Ric, I fear my poor tuning is due to an untrained ear - the guitar, while cheap, is brand new. But when I recheck each string in comparison to the tuning section of the DVD that came with it, each one still sounds OK. Then when I strum a chord, it sounds exactly like one of the other chords I've been playing and/or nothing like the chord that the guy on the DVD is playing. But then if learning guitar was easy, where would the fun be, eh?
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Check your tuning by fretting each string to the same note as the next higher tuned string. If you hear a beat frequency, it's still not quite right. (Of course, your guitar could have intonation problems.)

ricochet
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:09 am

I got one of those Korg tuners, but have a hard time with it. Guess my old ears are faulty. I got a used Casio keyboard from Goodwill for $15 that I use for tuning that I like lots better.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby rookie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Some slight progress on the tuning front over the w/e - I wasn't giving the DVD my full attention and realised I was just tuning from string to string on the 5th fret all the time, and not the 4th fret for the G string. So it sounds a little better now, but I'm still anxiously awaiting the tuner - hope I have better luck with it than Crowduck
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:30 am

You were in an alternate tuning.

ricochet
Regular

Postby rookie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 pm

Oh, yeah... that's better! Korg tuner arrived the other day - only 5 days from ordering from C2C to delivery in UK, did I mention that already? - and that's really hit the spot. I did mean to check the strings first to see just how 'off' I was but for various reasons ended up tuning up straight away. It's made all the difference, particularly on the turnaround for How Long Blues - I could really get into this lark!
On a slight downside, the 'sharp' LED doesn't seem to be working, but don't think it's absolutely vital - it would cost more to send it back than it's worth anyway...
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby the_big_crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-06 AT 05:00 PM (EST)]Depends on what kind of blues you're trying to learn. This time last year, I had NEVER tried fingerpicking. Hell, I hated to even STRUM with my fingers (I primarily TRY to pick bluegrass). However, I finally got intrigued enough by all the old blues stuff I'd begun listening to and I went and bought a book. That book was "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Berle and Galbo. A year later and I'm starting to feel like I might be developing into a better fingerpicker than a flatpicker. The book does not teach you "tunes" up front...it puts you through exercises that get increasingly harder as they teach you the fundamentals of the technique. That being said, the exercises nearly all follow a 12-bar pattern, so in a sense they are "blues". At the end of the day though, it's all about practice, repetition, and dedication. Over the last year, I have worked on learning this stuff for at least a half an hour a day before going to work, and that's what it takes. I don't know about too many other instructional materials, but I highly recomend the Berle and Galbo book if you are interested in learning stuff in the style of Mississippi John Hurt and Etta Baker.
the_big_crunch
Regular

Return to Guitar