Robert Johnson Technique

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Robert Johnson Technique

Postby keith j » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:49 pm

Whats up yall?

Alright I have a questy for ya that involves some pretty difficult (for me at least) guitar technique. If you listen to "When you got a good friend" by Robert Johnson there are some parts in the song where he is playing rythem guitar and does some accents to the song that are at a different beat, does anyone know the technique to doing this? The part im talkin about is after the second time he sings "when you got a good friend that will stay right by your side". Im tryin to do it but to get my brain to do both things at the same time is hella hard. anyone have any suggestions?
keith j
Regular

RE: Robert Johnson Technique

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:02 am

Practice, practice, and more practice.
Stomping your foot when you play helps keep your thumb steady and focused while your index plays the syncopations. It's actually a VERY easy song to play and you shouldn't have any trouble with it unless you are a total fingerpicking novice...even then, it's not a bad tune to start off on.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:27 am

What Zak said.
It's a great song, you're pretty much under obligation to learn it anyway having signed up here.
stumblin
Regular

Postby badfinger » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 am

I'm only vaguely familiar with this song, having a faint recollection of hearing 'Mouse and Stumb' do it a couple of years ago at Leicester (I think that's the only time I've actually heard it right through), but anyway...

Scott Ainsley's DVD/Tape (whatever it is) on RLJ's technique is pretty good on this aspect of his playing - also Rory Block does a RLJ instructional/analysis DVD.
badfinger
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:41 pm

The Scott Ainsley tape is good, although he doesn't cover this particular song. But he does a good bit about the rhythms, I'd recommend it.
The Rory Block tape is good, as a Rory Block tape. She's not exactly faithful to the originals. I think that video was more of a way to promote her new album than anything else.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby keith j » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 pm

cool, thanks gents
keith j
Regular

Postby badfinger » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 am