Best Acoustic For......

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Best Acoustic For......

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:52 pm

>>"Delta Blues" is an overly abused term. I see people call
>>any solo acoustic blues "Delta" blues without even
>>comprehending that there was no one specific style there -
>
>Okay Zak, define Delta Blues for us.

The Delta is a specific geographical region, not a music style.
It is bordered by the Yazoo and Mississippi rivers and is generally considered to be the area between Memphis and Vicksburg.
This large geographical area did not produce one distinctive style of blues playing so any references to a "delta sound" are bullcrap. The delta region produced a wide variety of styles that have little, if anything, in common with one another.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Now, when I'm performing, I will often preface a song by one of the Delta artists by saying something like "You've all heard about that Delta Blues. This song is by so-and-so, who was one of the great lights of the Mississippi Delta Blues - when they re-do Mount Rushmore, he'll be the face all the way on the left" and on into the song.

Typically, Son House' Death letter, but I've used the same schtick for several of'em - and I usually use thr "Mount Rushmore" line in referance to Howling Wolf.

The words "Delta Blues" just sound cool - which is kind of the whole point of everything involved with the Blues anyway.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:27 pm

>The words "Delta Blues" just sound cool - which is kind of
>the whole point of everything involved with the Blues
>anyway.

Misuse of a term makes it lose its meaning. For instance, when the word "revolutionary" has been used to describe laundry detergents once time too many, it loses its power.

When people start calling any self-accompanied solo blues artist a "delta blues" musician, the term loses its meaning (having seen Tampa Red or Johnny Shines described as a "delta" act one time too many, I think it already has).
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:45 pm

I try not to be "Anal" about my Music.
I just have fun with it.

When people ask what kind of Blues I play,
I say "Delta,Chicago,Mississippi Hill Country Blues"

I also do what I call "HillBilly Blues" which is any type of Blues I take and make my own.

Now, one thing I am VERY "Anal" about is my Tone.
That's why I play a Martin Acoustic Guitar.

IMO, when it comes to a Acoustic Guitar, it takes a well-built guitar to achieve great tone.
It's the only type of Guitar that you can't afford to "cut Corners" on the amount you spend.
grady
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:06 pm

You know which guitar I really miss ??

You remember that '52 Harmony Archtop w/ the DeArmond pickup that I had bought for $75.00 ??
I should've never let that guy talk me into selling it to him.
Granted, I got around $700.00 for it when I sold it but, I really miss that guitar.
I'll never find another one of those that's in the Condition that one was.

I really regret selling that Guitar.
grady
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Not tryin to knock this thread (I start off way too many of my posts like that, haha), but I wouldnt be able to suggest one type of guitar for any type of music. I like different sounds at different times. I like the sounds of old smaller-sized guitars a lot. However, I own a BigBaby Taylor that I like for its great bass response and clarity. You'd be foolish to restrict a type of music to one type of guitar. It all depends on what you like. You can play the blues on an accordian if you feel like it. And if you feel like it, I think thats all that really matters.

I mean, if you think about it, back then all those guys that first started bangin on guitars and singin about troubled times (what came to be known as "the blues", or the devil's music... whichever you prefer) didn't choose guitars because they were "blues guitars". There really aint such a thing. They played em either cause they liked the way they sounded, or thats all they had. Yes, over time a lot of musicians in certain genres of music tend to play similar instruments, but that shouldnt restrict you in any way to what you feel like playin. Just cause someone else plays somethin doesn't mean that you should feel any obligation to play the same thing. Of course if by the same thinking-- if you like the sound of a guitar that someone else plays, go for it! Just wanted to state somethin about how I think some people let stereotypes influence their music/ approach to music (and this is not to say that stereotypes dont affect everyone, cause I think they do in one way or another). Either that... or I'm just a little edgy from my day at work, haha.
savage
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Hey AllanLummox and Grady did you get your emails????
marlboroman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:07 pm

Did - and sent one back.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:08 pm

>Hey AllanLummox and Grady did you get your emails????

Yeh, I sent you a long detailed reply.

I'll answer again here instead.

I like that Alvarez 12-String Jumbo with the Maple Back & Sides.
I also like that Guild 12-String even though it's a Dreadnought.

I admit, I do not like Dreadnought-shaped guitars at all.
That Alvarez looks like a very good choice.
Use a light gauge string on whatever you buy.
12 Strings put out a lot of tension.
The less tension, the less stress on the neck.

Thanks for the kind words.

I use a Dunlop Preachin' Pipe Slide for gigs.
I use Diamond Bottleneck Slides in the Studio.

I have played a lot of Alvarez guitars.
I think they're very nice and I would choose them over any other Import Brand.

Guild guitars aren't what they use to be since Fender bought them out and moved the Factory to California.
They use to be handmade in Westbury, RI and before that in NJ.
Now, they're made by Machines and Mexicans.
(Not a racist statement as much as it is an Economic statement)

The Alvarez is not a bad choice at all and I would think that the new Guilds are not made any better than a import.
grady
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:09 pm

I haven't handled that many 12 strings - I've never owned one - but some of the nicer ones I've played have been older Guilds.

There WAS a '60's 00 sized Gibson 12 string at the Guitar Center near here for a while - not really as loud, but nice sounding.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluescaster » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:04 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-06 AT 07:06 PM (EST)]>So what do you guys think about Alvarez Guitars??? are they
>an OK company??? I don't really know much about them

Alvarez guitars are inexpensive imports that use just the name 'Alvarez'....as an inexpensive instrument goes, the ones I've played were OK...much like many other company's inexpensive guitars.

Now Alvarez *Yairi* guitars are much nicer and correspondingly pricier...made to the standards of Kazuo Yairi, a veteran luthier.

And, just to muddy the waters, there is another high end luthier whose last name is also Yairi.<G>

Many companies play off of people's natural desire to get a 'name' instrument for a budget price, by producing a less expensive line....sometimes the differences are cosmetic, such as the Epiphone Player packs, which use 'ugly' but perfectly functional wood.

More often the difference are in the premium materials and level of workmanship.

So you get 2 and sometime 3 tiers from one name brand...

Like a Martin line, a lower end (D-15) line, and
then a Martin Sigma line.

A Breedlove made in Oregon line, and a Breedlove Atlas (Korean) line.

An American built Guild line, and the Chinese made Guild line

A Gibson, to an Epiphone Masterbilt, to just plain Epiphone.

Canadians run from a Petros to a Seagull line.

And as mentioned, an Alvarez-Yairi line and an Alvarez line.

Rules of thumb:

You get what you pay for.

and

Caveat emptor.
thebluescaster
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am

thanks AllanLummox and Grady....

I got both e-mails and really appreciate all the help!!!

AllanLummox: I can't wait to get busking at that market and I'll be sure to check local street performance laws.

Grady: I think I'm gonna start tracking that Alvarez down, there is a shop about an hour from me that has it listed on there website as IN STOCK, so hopefully I can play it. As for slides I'm still trying to figure out what kind best suits me. I've bought a Coricidin Bottle and a Regular glass Slide BUT neither one fit my pinky or ring finger the regular dunlop glass site fit my middle finger "ok" I guess but not very tight and the Coricidin bottle is HUGE. I just keep it for novelty. I would like to get one made of BLOWN GLASS, but I would want one of the ones shaped like a bullet and I would want it fitted to my hand. I got on Diamond Slides website BUT do they custom fit them to your finger dimensions??
marlboroman
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:11 am

As far As I know, Diamond can make anything you want.

He's a great guy to work with.

get in touch with him.
grady
Regular

Postby crowduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:54 am

MarlboroMan,

Sometimes you can get a 'good fit' with a slide that's a 'little too big', by putting a strip of velcro tape inside. Use the fuzzy side. I get it at supermarkets and drugstores for about $2.00. It's got a sticky side with the 'peel off' backing. Gives a 'snug fit', and keeps the slide from 'sliding off' when fingers get 'sweaty'. Works good.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:10 pm

On that Alvarez 12-String Jumbo It says Maple Sides and Back. Now does that mean that the sides & back are laminated??? I guess my question is "IF" in the description it doesn't say "SOLID" this or that then is it laminate??

Here is the link to the guitar AGAIN in case you need to look at the description....
http://www.alvarezgtr.com/productpage.h ... &ItemID=77

THANKS A MILLION FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
marlboroman
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar