Best Acoustic For......

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Best Acoustic For......

Postby marlboroman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:54 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-06 AT 03:57 PM (EST)]What do you guys think is the best acoustic for Blues?? I'm gonna be playing with a slide and I'll be doing mostly Delta style Blues.

I'm a newbie to this site so sorry if this question is dumb or if it's been asked before.

I play an electric guitar right now and I haven't had an acoustic for about 10 years. My first guitar was an acoustic BUT I mostly learned on electric and I've NEVER had a nice acoustic before. I was looking at a Martin DX1 and I liked the way it played BUT I was looking for an opinion from people who have experience playing acoustic gutiar and more importantly BLUES on an acoustic.

Also I was looking at a couple 12-String Acoustic what do you guys think about 12 Strings for Blues?? I wasn't sure about a 12 Sting with a slide though.

Thanks For Your Help
marlboroman
Regular

RE: Best Acoustic For......

Postby rhapsodie » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Lot's of tonal variations within Acoustic and blues. I suggest you listen to the player you like the most and find out what type he/she used/uses. e.g. EC uses a small body Martin a lot for fingerstyle but a Fender Dobro for slide. Lightnin Hopkins used an old ladder braced parlor sized, RJ used a Gibson small body, Keb Mo mostly uses an Epiphone bluesmaster for fingerstyle and a National steel body for slide. Lot's of the guys here use Johnson Steel body for slide.

Once you find the artist you like, find a similar style of guit at the shop and play lot's of brands. Buy the one you like most.
rhapsodie
Regular

Postby spud camp » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:48 pm

The one that FEELS right. No one can tell you that, but when you find it.....youll know.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:52 pm

There is no "best" - there's just what works best for you.
I like ladder-braced guitars from before WWII, but that's just my personal preference.

>Lightnin Hopkins used an old ladder braced parlor sized,

Lightnin' did NOT use parlor-sized guitars.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 am

I know to get the guitar that feels the best BUT If a dobro feels the best you wouldn't use it for classical.....

I was just looking for a good starting point, I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WIT ACOUSTICS.

as far as guys I listen to I love Lightnin and Robert Johnson. Have you guys ever heard of the John Butler Trio?? I LOVE John Butlers' Blues Tone that he pulls out of a crappy Washburn 12-String.

Other then Tone and Feel, what are some other things I should look for in a good acoustic?? What I mean is as far as construction goes and/or types of materials.

Does a Satin finish effects your tone differently then a gloss finish?? Does a Satin Finish wear out quicker? by that I mean does it show pick marks and natural wear quicker?

Sorry if I seem like I'm asking dumb questions, I really have NO clue about acoustics and I figured there would be no better place to get informed with GOOD information. I'm sure I will get alot better advice from Time Tested players then I would get from the Zitty Faced Kid at Guitar Center whos just tryin to make a commission
marlboroman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:28 am

>>>Sorry if I seem like I'm asking dumb questions,

The only dumb questions are the ones never asked! Trust me man, I can only speak fer myself but I have asked some doozies! There's a great crowd here and most are very willing to help in any way!
Welcome to da Road and ENJOY the journey!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby skyking71 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 am

You've done bin bit by da bug!! I picked up my first guitar a year and a half ago at the age of 51, I listened to Son House in Feb. of last year and since then I've gone thru sebenteen guitars trying to find the "sound" I've paid more for instructional literature than my oldest son's college education cost me and I'm lovin' every dog gone minute of it. I listen to the blues and then I play and play every chance I get. I drive my wife crazy because I play at 5 in the morning. My favorite guitar is a Takamine jasmine S-33 tuned in open G, I've got a Johnson Reso a rogue 12 string a conrad parlor a Harmony grand concert and I just ordered a classical from musicians friend. I've got a hundred cds of every old time blues artist I come across. I eat sleep and dream the acoustic blues. Enjoy the journey!
skyking71
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:48 am

SKYKING71: What do you think about your Rogue 12-String??? I saw one on musiciansfriend for $99 and thought "Hey if I don't like the way it sounds I can leave it at work to play on my breaks"

and YES SIR, I GOT BIT BY THE BUG!!!!!
marlboroman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:37 am

You can play slide on a 12 string just fine. Sounds like a million bucks, in fact.

Blues has been played on every single variety of acoustic guitar made, period. Go out and try some.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:10 am

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby skyking71 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 am

Marlboroman, I like the way it sounds I tuned it to open G I wanted to go down to B but I don't have the string setup that I needto do that. The low end is great the high end is a little to bright for my taste but once you get a groove goin it don't matter you can make it growl on the low G and D. I finger pick it or try to, and slide is a little tuff because of the neck radius. If you got one of "dem curvey slides" it works fine, sounds really strange in a good way with a slide. I try to play a little Blind Willie McTell on it but I ain't nohow as good a sounding as that. For the Bucks it's a good buy, that's where I got mine and no regrets! I think they're a bang for the buck. Good Luck and happy hunting. GAS, I tell ya it's worse than booze.
skyking71
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:01 pm

>Sam Hopkins was pretty promiscuous - at least as far as
>guitars are concerned.

Quite true, but he did seem to have certain preferences - for acoustics he seemed to like Gibsons, although I have many photos and footage of him playing a Harmony (H-162 or H-165, can't remember) in the early 60s.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby dancher » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:33 pm

I had the same questions too. A guy at ashop in O.C. calif told me "just keep lot's of different ones and one will talk to ya". well he was right. I ended up with an Ibanez AE. For what ever reason that guitar is teachin me the blues. As far as finishes and stuff the one that has the sound you want should do it. I know, too much about tone and feel, but really , what else is there?
dancher
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:01 am

I recommend that you try a Martin 00-15.

They're great guitars for Slide & fingerstyle Blues.

Just try one before you buy anything.
grady
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:32 am

Today at guitar center I played a Yamaha FG720S 12-String Acoustic ($329.99)and LOVED IT.... It felt so nice and sounded better to me then the Martin DM12 that cost $950. I'm still not 100% about getting a 12 string though, just because I've never had one so I don't really know what they are supposed to sound like.

I'm trading in a '62 American Vintage Reissue Fender Strat AND/OR a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Depending on what guitar I end up wanting to get. So as you can see this is a big decision for me. I just don't really plan on playing out anymore so I don't really need a electric set-up and I could play an acoustic at any time day or night and not bother anyone, with my electric to really be able to enjoy it you have to crank it up and that can't happen at 6am or when my Wife is studying (nursing school). PLUS as of late I have REALLY been into acoustic Blues and after finding the John Butler Trio and the sounds that John Butler can pull from a 12 String he has REALLY inspired me to play acoustic and even more then just acoustic 12 STRING ACOUSTIC....

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE or should I say lead me in the right direction, I know that might sound weird BUT I trust the people here and I value your opinions.

THANKS AGAIN
marlboroman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar