Your recommendations please...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Your recommendations please...

Postby rookie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 am

OK, finally able to get a minute to get back on here again before I go away again for a week - thanks for the continuing advice, of all kinds...

Yeah, I think I'm coming round to Zak's way of thinking now re an old model, and have made a note of a few names recommended from a couple of similar, surrounding posts. Trouble is, being in the UK, our ebay site doesn't seem to stretch to brands like Stromberg, Lyon + Healy etc. I don't wanna think about the postage costs from the States either. I've a few ebay queries actually, which I'll raise in a fresh post.

But I've also investigated the Art + Lutherie ami online and it could be worth it. I've also noticed that the 'world's biggest guitar shop' lives in Vegas, where I'll be passing thru in September, and plan to visit that in conjunction with a few pawn shops. But if something comes up before then, well, hell - I can always buy another... I can see I'm on a slippy slope here...
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:21 pm

The guy who runs the world's largest guitar shop is only a short hop from a weasel on the evolutionary line...
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby coolwater » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm

I own 3 Martins...and a high-end luthier made unit. I had an Art& Lutherie Ami...for a traveller. It had a solid Cedar top, and for under $200 the quality was great, as well of the sound of the thing. I sold it because of the width of the nut...too narrow for fingerpicking(for me). I wish they'd make one with 1-3/4" nut or 1-13/16" even better.I'd even go $300 for one of those.
coolwater
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 pm

I'd just about ALWAYS spent the same money on an old guitar over a new one. You get MUCH better guitars that way.

The ONLY guitar I ever bought new that I liked was my National Delphi - and that's different - it's not a musical instrument, it's a tool. (It payed for itself really fast and it wasn't exactly an impulse buy)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:06 am

Yep, I agree with Dan.

However,I do like my Gibson SG,G&L Legacy Strat that I bought new.

I bought my Delphi used and got my Martin JC-16WE new.
Those two have paid for themselves many MANY times over & over.
grady
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:30 am

MMm - I do have a Tele I bought new that's OK, it just hasn't gotten that much use these past few years - on the rare occasions that I've left the house with an electric, I've taken the 1964 Gibson Melody Maker a buddy gave me a couple of years ago - I really like that guitar.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarsmurf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:39 am

Rookie, if you're in the UK... you might want to check out some of the German guitar shop sites. Some really good prices there.

I'm in Belgium and I buy ALL my stuff in Germany these days. I usually go to a major chain locally to try out the product and then order it from Germany. Even UPS delivered to my door it's still much cheaper.

One that I like is "www.guitar24.de". So far they've been pretty good to me. They have a fairly big range of resonators too.
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby rookie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:58 am

Hey Smurf, that's a good link - thanks. Have compared some prices with one of the British sites - http://www.gak.co.uk - and although it's not always easy to find exactly matching model numbers, they do seem quite a bit cheaper. I get to Germany fairly often on business anyway, so could probably avoid excessive postage too...

And as much as I'm tempted to go over my budget for one of those Johnson resonators I must admit that I really do fancy an old secondhand (or more) model. Anyway, I'm in Paris next week, so think I'll investigate what they have to offer...

PS A short hop from a weasel, huh? A ferret?
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rookie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Hey, been so busy with work and moving house and stuff, never had a minute to get on here and mention (or show off in other words) what I ended up buying. Waited till I went to Chicago in January, which meant I'd saved up a wee bit more and ended up getting a Martin 000-15. Paid $750 for it, which is near as dammit half of the best price I'd seen it for in the UK. I'm a sucker for a bargain...
And man, does it sing! Smells great too. Only problem is it seems wrong using it to practice basic exercises etc on, so still use the cheap&nasty plywood one for that and then drag the Martin out for my couple of tunes. But have been so busy lately have hardly had time to play it, and those callouses didn't take long to disappear...

Oh yeah, and I haven't given up on the secondhand idea either - unfortunately I think I'm showing the early classis symptoms of GAS...
So thanks for your help fellas - sure it won't go to waste...
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Your recommendations, please

Postby zebloos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:42 am

Brother, Try the Seagull guitars in Canada. They are usually made of cedar or other sustainable wood. They are handmade, no laminates and they have a crisp sound ideal for finger picking.
For the price, they offer the best value. You can't get the in Europe.
For the price, I also like the Tacoma guitars out of Washington State.

I don't agree about the Johnsons. If you buy one for $400, the minute you leave the store it is worth $100. That ought to tell you something. They can be good or absolutely horrible, but for my money I would go with the Seagulls anytime.
zebloos
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 am

Many Seagulls use laminate backs and sides. They're still great guitars.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Guitar