Regal Resonators

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Regal Resonators

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Anyone here own a Regal resonator? If so, whats you're opinions on them?
leftyguitarman
Regular

RE: Regal Resonators

Postby 1four5 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Our lead guitarist has a spider regal (not sure of the model #...RD240 rings a bell) and really loves it. He had it apart and cleaned out the cone shelf of manufacturing glue slop and debree, strung it with Daderrio 13's, and when he got the cone screw adjusted correctly (with advice from here) it found a sweet spot and he LOVES it!
1four5
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:51 pm

I got one from Grady and its a nice guitar but tone wize I think its pretty comprable to the Rogue that I have also. Those Rogues' really surprized me for the price. I even got one and donated it to the VA Hospital for the long term patients to jam on during their stays away from home. They have 3 of my donated axes out there now and everybody braggs on that Rogue spider.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:19 pm

I was tellin' a group of friends about you donating guitars to the VA Hospital at my gig Wednesday night.

We gotta get you down top Hinton, WV this Labor Day Weekend.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:50 pm

>>>everybody braggs on that Rogue spider.

As stated in many threads before, I LOVE my Rogue spider! Mine is bone stock cept fer strings and I haven't even had it apart yet to do a clean up! IMO, best import out there for the price!
I also have the Rogue Trio and thought it was junk till I changed the strings and tweeked the bridge a bit. I have it apart right now doin a clean up and thinkin I may change cone and bridge next! Maybe even add a pup.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:17 pm

If you know who is booking it, throw my name in the hat brother. We're working out the schedule now. I think we're going to start at the James River Blues Festival July 8th. Some kind of blues competition thing they're having to support the Society. Should be fun. We start practicing Sunday. I'm still working on the new CD.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby crowduck » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 pm

I bought an RC-1 new, that's the steel bodied biscuit bridge with the 'polychrome' paint job, and MOP headstock. I was very disappointed with the overall 'fit & finish', lots of little things, and generally sloppy workmanship. However, it looks just fine from about 3 feet away. Initially, I intended to return it to the seller, but haven't because despite the numerous cosmetic flaws, it plays & sounds great, better than any of my other reso's, and I'm afraid that a 'better looking' replacement won't match the sound and playability of this one. So, I live with the warts, and enjoy it otherwise.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:33 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-06 AT 01:34 PM (EST)]I usually keep my Rogue Spider next to my desk so I can practice stuff off the web. I dropped her into Open D this morning to learn "Amazing Grace" and I do believe dats the tuning she prefers! SWEEEEEEEEEET!
Again, DAMN NICE GUITAR!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby louisianagrey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:29 pm

Depends which Regals you mean. The brass bodied tricone is very nice, the spider bridge are, IMHO, the best at their price point (made in the Blueridge factory).

The biscuit bridge ones are pretty much identical to all the other Chinese ones on the market, AXL, Johnson etc. Quality control on any Chinese instrument can be variable - try before you buy, if you can.

Pete
(http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com)
Find out about Bushy's Big Wheel Blues Fest 2006 - http://www.bigwheelblues.com
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:10 pm

Mick, "Amazing Grace" in Open D is an alltime favorite of mine. My teacher Jason taught me a version he'd come up with long ago, probably the first thing really learned to play with slide. I figure if I never learned anything else, my time with him would've been well spent.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:51 pm

Several years ago the Regal tricones were made by Amistar in the Czech Republic. If you can find one of those you will have yourself a very fine guitar. Even more years ago Johnson tricones were also made by Amistar. You can tell if either one is an Amistar made guitar by the inside label (it will state "made in the Czech Republic).

I like both Johnson and Regal style O metal guitars. The Regal has a steel body while the Johnson is bell brass.

When it comes to the spider bridge wood bodied guitars it all depends on the model that you are looking at. Some of the Regals are made in China and some models are maded in Korea. All of the Johnsons are made in China.

Both have a wooden triolian biscuit bridge model. I have played the Johnson. It is a great sounding guitar. I have not played the Regal. It looks better than the Johnson but I don't know how it sounds.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 pm

>>>Mick, "Amazing Grace" in Open D is an alltime favorite of mine.

It's fast becoming one of mine Ric!
I found a sample lesson at "Riff Interactive" that broke it down real well! There's also an electric version that I may tackle today. A little dash of distortion and it becomes really cool!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:10 pm

2 or 3 months ago I promised several people I'd scan Jason's tab he made me back in 2001. When I get a round tuit, I'll send you a scan, Mick.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar