Trying to sing for the first time

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Trying to sing for the first time

Postby deferre » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Gentle people,

I'm playing guitar in gigs for quite a few years, but I never considered I could actually sing. I always thought I'm awful at it.

A few days ago I gave it a try and improvised a few Robert Johnson's songs, just reading the lyrics in front of me, with a mic recording it.

Here's one exaple:
http://www.thehoodoogang.com/test/MaltedMilk_c_b.mp3

What's your opinion?
Do you think I could try singing myself?

I'll apreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Cheers!
deferre
Regular

RE: Trying to sing for the first time

Postby allanlummox » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:24 pm

Hey - that's pretty cool.

The vocal is fun.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:49 pm

Nothing wrong with that--quite nice actually. Cool playing too!

Carol
cas

Postby deferre » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
For me is not possible to be objective about my singing. It sounds still weird to my ears.
deferre
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:52 pm

>For me is not possible to be objective about my singing. It
>sounds still weird to my ears.

Oh yeah i know watcha mean. That sounds pretty good Deferre - both guitar and vocals. That little echo on the voice gives it a nice haunted, bluesy feel - reminds me of Skip James. Keep on singin!
nizer
Regular

Postby dabluz » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:29 pm

you can sing, work on "that" instrument with the same dedication you have obviously applied to your guitar. very nice [http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cllvt » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:18 pm

deferre,

I like the singing! Keep at it, sounds great. That is a great song too, nice work. :)
cllvt
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:50 pm

I know just where you're coming from, man. I used to play drums for years. O.K., did a little backing vocals, but not much. A was also a bedroom harp player. I felt I wasn't too bad, but wouldn't ever be ready to play harps as part of a band.
But one gig the band did, the frontman was involved in a bad accident on the way there (he survived, fortunately), and we were stuck. I saw a good friend of mine in the audience who also played drums. I don't know how it happened, but he sat in on drums while I took the front with my harps. Never looked back.
I've got a voice like a badly plumbed bath emptying, but it works with blues.
Keep at it, my man. Express yourself. If it comes from the heart, it'll go to the heart.
Good luck

Harps players suck best!
qtheblues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:29 am

D, I am sorry I have not been able to listen to your song as it takes 40 minutes to download but like everyone was saying it is probably pretty good and only gonna get better as you do it. I liked the last harp player story. That was inspiring.
lorilu
Regular

Postby medium bob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Hello Defere,

I'm late to this conversation, but I just clicked on your audio. To me you don't sound like a beginning singer at all, in fact you sound quite accomplished. You have a great voice, fine phrasing, control, shading. I liked it very much. Oh yes, and sweet guitar too.
medium bob
Regular

Postby nig » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:06 am

Your off and running from what I hear on that track. I would echo a previous post and say you now need to work on your vocals the same way you have worked on the guitar. You have a good range which is more than most singers, including myself.
I found out quite early that my singing improves my guitar playing and visa versa. I think it is impossible to concentrate on 2 things at the same time, ie: singing and guitar playing, so when Im singing my guitar playing goes on a kind of autopilot. The sound of my guitar at this point is more relaxed but still ok. After a little singing I can then play a few guitar licks till the next line or verse. This seems a bit weird at first but my recordings told me that it sounded ok.
I perform better in this arrangement compared to doing only singing or only guitar.
Hope that helps:-) nig
nig
Regular

Postby deferre » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:35 am

Thanks a lot for your comments!
You give me strength to try it out.
Thank you!
deferre
Regular

Postby tom1984 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:48 pm

Yeah i thought that was really good too. And damn brave to post your first attempt at singing in the first place, so hats off!

However (and hopefully you were looking for at least a little constructive critism!) it does sound like a singer trying to sing like robert johnson, i'd quite like to hear you singing in your own voice, which based on this recording, sounds like it may well be excellent for blues singing.

Good work, keep it up

Tommy
tom1984
Regular

Postby deferre » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Well, funny enough that's the reason why I made this recording.
The wife of my band's singer, when first exposed to Robert Johnson's music, said: "argh, that's awful, that guy sounds like De Ferre when he sings the new songs to you".
Afterwards I thought that if I sound 'as awful' as RJ, then I could try myself singing!!! :-)
deferre
Regular

Return to Guitar