ebay virgin

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

ebay virgin

Postby rookie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:04 pm

Some of the posts on here have been mentioning ebay as a good cheap source of old guitars, (although it seems to me that this might not be so much the case with the British version). But apart from that, two questions arose from a trawl through 50 or more pages yesterday:

There's a bunch of stuff on there (often popular brands) marked 'from China'. What's that all about? Should you avoid these on principle? I've been there a few times and know that everything Western - and I mean, everything: door handles, entire cars, suspension mounts - is counterfeited religiously.

There's also a few guides advertised that claim they can tell you how to buy a guitar for as little as $10. These guides only cost $2 or so, but I can't help thinking that if something's too good to be true, then it probably is...
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

RE: ebay virgin

Postby badfinger » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 pm

Most of the stuff on there (UK - mostly priced in £, by the way) is dealers' items. On the other hand, there are some good buys to be had.

As for such things as "how to make a fortune/killing/fool-of-yourself..." on eBay, well, as you said...
badfinger
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:12 pm

With regards to the Chinese products - a lot of those inexpensive copied goods on eBay from China will have exorberant shipping costs. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about made-in-China, but like anything, do some research before you bid, into the item and the seller.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby brass finger » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:33 am

Those Chinese guitars are probably Eastman. I saw them on the news.
I've never played one, but judging from the worker's attitudes it was all about pride and teamwork, stuff America once touted.
And at a 3rd the cost of American guitars, like that price gouging crap from Gibson.
I'd buy one, absolutely.
Maybe they'll get off their laurels and lower their prices.
brass finger
Regular

Return to Guitar