scales and such

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

scales and such

Postby thehook » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:34 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-06 AT 12:37 PM (EST)]my name is matt and I have been trying to play the blues for about a year or two now. I am decent at some fingerpicking and know the 1 4 5 in a bunch of keys. I am now at the point where I want to spice up my playing a little bit with some scales, leads and solo stuff. However I am not having an easy time with playing over the chord progressions. I can play the blues scale in E starting on the low E 3rd fret and working my way up to high e 6th fret for the blue not and back down and it usually sounds pretty good. but when I go to play the scale for a starting on the low E 5th fret it sounds like crap i play up and down the scale and it sounds horrible doesn't even sound like it fits. What I want to know is how to find the right notes and sound good playing them. PLay through the progressions a few times then go to solo over it and back to the progression type stuff. So if I am playing in E when I go to play the a part should what should I do? find a few notes that are in the A scale and play them or something? how can I find the good sounding ones? and the same for the b part...after I played the b part would I go back into the a scale and then finally into the e scale? I know nothing of music theroy root notes or anything like that this may be why it is so hard for me to do. any ideas on how to play blues scale notes over progressions and sound good would be helpful I can find the blues scale online for any key i just can't use it and make it sound good over progressions thanks
matt
thehook
Regular

RE: scales and such

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 pm

You don't have to change blues scales on the IV and V. Works just fine to stay in the root key. It works well to do that, but to change the emphasis within that scale to the 4 & 5 notes during those sections. I think of changing scales with the chords as more of a Jazz-blues thing, though you certainly can do it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

RE: scales and such

Postby lightninboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:56 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-06 AT 02:02 AM (EST)]Its a big subject.
Try a book called "Mickey Bakers Jazz Book" and refer to the section on scale runs.
This helps finding the tasty notes around certain chords.
Or try Kirk Loranges book "Plane Talk", which helps with your problem.(Great book).

As a quick fix:
Added to what Rico has already said.
For starters, identify the 1st, 3rd and 5th note's of the scale.
These are your main Home Base notes.
The b3rd, b5th, b7th & 9th (2nd note up an octave) are passing notes, used for some flavour.
Get to know the sound of these intervals, by playing the root note and harmonizing these intervals along with it.
You can play around chords this way, or just with scale's and scale runs.
or;
Hum a little tune, and try to copy it on guitar. You'll find the primary notes ie, 1st 3rd & 5th are the meat and potatoes of most tunes.
or;
When you change to the iv chord, try emphasising the b3rd of the root scale, and when on the V chord, emphasise the 9th.

These are just a few idea's,and there's plenty more.

Edit....

Oh, one more thing,,,
Try staying with the root scale while on the I & iv chords, but when you get to the V chord, play a V chord scale, emphasising the 7th or 9th notes.
ie, in the key of E, when on the V chord, play a B mixolydian,(B major scale with a b7th) or just a B blues scale will do.
Let me know if this has helped.
LB.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar